Final Patch Version - Questions, Help & Discussion

Name says it all
+Nyx
Administrator

Final Patch Version - Questions, Help & Discussion

Post by +Nyx »

If you have questions or need help regarding the Finalized version of my patch or any comments, please post them here. :D
Acacia
Elder Scribe

Re: Final Patch Version - Questions, Help & Discussion

Post by Acacia »

has anything yet been implemented in game?
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Yes and no. The event on Sunday will include many patch elements. The facets we are developing will be likewise. Some food deco has been sent out using patch images, with more to come very soon. Beyond that, we are working on updating things like the deco room, veteran rewards, and so on to include new patch items. So, running around you won't see much yet - but it'll be here soon.
Zeddekus
Passer by

Post by Zeddekus »

Hi Nyx,

Just finished patching. I'm sure you may know this but I cant see what I'm supposed to try now.

a) The game gets "out of memory" error if I run with AssistUo, but not with Razor or stand alone.
I tried the registry fixes you mentioned in the other thread but doesn't seem to help.

b) Did i do something wrong? my Noble is invisible again while mounted.

Thanks for all the work and looking forward to this new world.

*well I tried to ask in world but I dont need to hear that my computer is old, or get a new computer.
Putting my own ass through medical school, cant afford it right now.

This computer is running Win XP SP3
it only has 3G ram. I have 12 Gig of virtual authorized. While running it has:
Physical Memory: total: 3.13G Avail:2.58G SYSCache: 561M
So I'm not sure what's Out of Memory. Kernal?
Kernel Memory: Total 61780 Paged 50032 nonpaged 11744

I've shut down every process that isn't necessary.
I've shut down every program that isn't UO.
I've run your registry suggestion
I've even run a ram memory dump/clean.
and of course I've rebooted and restarted as well as edited my start programs, etc.

Just the last thing I need is someone telling me i need a new computer.
Or to plug in my computer. No sh_t
Last edited by Zeddekus on Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornbread
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cornbread »

Well, unfortunately Assistuo takes up more resources than Razor. You may just have to learn a little razor until you can afford some more memory for your comp. That's exactly what I did and I still get the error, but it's only if I have google chrome running any processes.
Birko
Elder Scribe

Post by Birko »

Reference image.

Mystery Man
Elder Scribe

Post by Mystery Man »

Is this the final version or is it still kinda in beta, last time i downloaded it, my whole system got messed up so i wanna make sure this is it before i attempt anything
After everything i've been threw, i'm still smiling...Not because i'm strong...But because i'm crazy!
Now that should scare you.....
Birko
Elder Scribe

Post by Birko »

It's the real patch. You need it.
Hawthorne
Novice Scribe

Post by Hawthorne »

My Noble is now visible and the correct color both mounted and unmounted, but the Fire Steeds appear as Nightmares when unmounted and just plain tan Horses when mounted, these were both supposed to be the default color. For me everything else seems to be okay in the test room except the Canadian banner is split. Neither is a huge deal for me, just thought they were worth mentioning.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Hawthorne - the mount issue is something coli has to fix in the scripts, but he'll get to it as soon as he can. The canadian flag is actually fine, it was off-kilter because I'd accidentally moved it :lol: I've made it line up properly now that you brought it to my attention :)

Mystery Man - final version, this is it. Go for it :)

Zeddekus - Unfortunately AssistUO is just far more memory intensive than Razor. If your system is not 'up' for running both, it IS likely you would have to upgrade your RAM in order to be able to play with both. Whomever mentioned to you that you may have to upgrade was giving you legitimate input that I have mentioned previously. Cornbread was having a similar issue with the previous patch version, upgraded his memory, and has no problem now so long as he isn't running other memory-hogging programs or processes. The best help I can offer you at this juncture is for you to start on a fresh reboot with no programs running, then bring up your task manager. Take a screenshot of the "applications" tab as well as the "Processes" tab. Email these to nyx@uoex.net. I'll give a gander and see if there's anything I notice that could possibly be closed to help free up some more memory for you to run AssistUO. Beyond that, though, there isn't much to be done.

For those griping that this patch isn't finished because of the "out of memory bug" - it isn't really a 'bug', and certainly not anything we can just magically fix. Believe me, I spent dozens of hours trying to find a way to ensure that even the most ancient of computers would not have this issue, but there simply isn't any. It is just what happens when a very old game is forcibly expanded. As Cornbread pointed out in another thread, many shards who upgrade have this problem, with MUCH smaller patches than what I have put out for us. For almost every player, we can assist you and get you running on anything that was able to play UO before. You may just not be able to use some of your 3rd party programs the same way you used to until you choose to upgrade.

Also, it would be good for everyone to actually understand the out of memory issue - this happens for UO at startup. The game itself does not need a lot of memory to run. It will take less than 20% more memory to run than it did before the patch. The error throws at start-up because when the game is loading it basically tries to do a quick load/check of all the files, whether they will be immediately in use during actual play or not. Thus, it has a brief memory spike when loading. If your computer has any *other* memory hogging programs or processes (they are different!), it will often return this error. There are many processes - not programs - that could be the culprit.

If you are receiving this error and can't figure it out, or have any other trouble getting patched - stay calm and for the love of all that is right and good in the world, don't start chewing us out about it. Send a page or post here, explain what you've tried, and we will help you as best we can.
Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Post by Unbeliever »

I just patched according to the specific istructions given and it works fine for me. (Woot! :D) I thought I'd share what kind of setup I have to add to the information on this patch. I run a Gateway P-7811 FX Notebook (five years old, 2008). It has a dual core 2.26 Ghz cpu. With some trouble, I "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows XP SP3 - and I have 8GB of RAM installed but only use 4GB of it because of the 32-bit OS limitation. I have over 4TB of hard drive space, so I've allocated 8192 MB of memory to the virtual memory paging file. I hope this adds some perspective to the discussion and possibly helps some players work towards a fix for their own systems.

P.S. This was my first time in the Patch Test Room - what I knew of the patch before was just from the screenshot posted on the forums. I had no idea until now just how truly amazing it is. I LOVE the usage of AD&D monsters - it's such a rich game and I have always wanted to see it incorporated into an Ultima server! Fourteen years playing and this is the first time I've seen it get some love. :) And the Daleks - I've been a fan of the Doctor since growing up with Tom Baker. <3 There's really no way to adequately express my happiness in words. Thank you +Nyx
in-game Thomas Covenant
eckenlor
Journeyman Scribe

Post by eckenlor »

I still can't get the patch to work with Razor. Excelsior loads up just fine but the graphics are not there. Lots of empty tiles. I'm pretty sure I followed the directions correctly. When I don't use Razor, it works just fine. Fantastic graphics. thanks Nyx.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Your razor is loading the wrong UO directory then, if you see the proper patched items without razor but not with it. With razor open, go to "General" and click "show welcome screen". Then log out and back in with razor. It will show a splash screen that will display the path to which UO directory it is using. Change it to whichever one you installed the patch into and it should work fine.
eckenlor
Journeyman Scribe

Post by eckenlor »

You nailed it! Thanks Nyx!
Kara
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Kara »

Hi. The final version of the patched client had been working pretty well for me since I installed it. Very few "out of memory" issues. However, today I've not been able to get it to start at all. It's "out of memory" errors all the time. I've restarted thrice; turned off all the TSRs I could; closed each and every window and kept them closed... Frankly, I don't have a clue what else to do.