(RESOLVED) more gold sinks

Shaft
Master Scribe

(RESOLVED) more gold sinks

Post by Shaft »

:O ive been cheating on Excelsior...
not that i dont love Excelsior, its my home for life now, the staff and the players are amazing, you guys will never get rid of me, mwahahaha...
but i saw somewhere else, they had neat decor for gold. Like fountains and personal stables and junk. This would be nice :)
Also, the things we have, (others might hate me for this) in my humble opinion for the good of the server, needs to cost more gold, same tokens, but more gold. We dont want people amassing huge amounts of gold with nowhere to spend it. That when bad things happen, huge price spikes etc.

eg. Player "A" has 13.4mill in the bank that he has amassed. Player "B" comes across something everyone in game wants. Player "A" says; "Ooooooh, you got a Whoopty Dinger of Vanq, i will give you 7m for that! i want one bad!" then Player "B" sells it, and viola, the going price is now 7m!!. Player "B" then sees Players "C" selling the Shooby Squible of Power, and thinks to himself "Dang, i got 7m, ill pay 5m for that for sure!" bango, price goes up. Makes it very hard for people starting out.

If we had huge gold sinks for desirable items, this problem disolves. Player "A" then buys a personal stable off staff for 5m and only offers Player "B" 500k for his all mighty Whoopty Dinger of Vanq.

Hope this makes sense, it makes sense in my head.
Legendary Scribe

and i also like the idea of....

Post by Pip »

having a staff auction, where staff will auction off stuff of high quality for gold.... this may not be an option right now with the limited number of players, but some food for thought
Shaft
Master Scribe

Post by Shaft »

i like it, good thinking Pip. Basically anything to sink gold. The economy is good right now, everything is cheap, makes it easier on everyone. Lets keep it that way.
Elder Scribe

Post by trikky »

The other way to stop the economy from leaping out of control is to only allow certain thing available from Vendor stones or Some fashion that is controlled by the staff.

FOR INSTANCE
If you want to get a Minor Artifact.
You can either kill paragons all day OR you could buy a deed for a set gold/token amount. That way minor arties would never get any higher than whatever the deed is worth.

But I like the idea of buying deco things from staff.
Or Personal spawners.
Or weapon power deeds (Spell channeling or Hit Lightning)
Things like that.

The other thing you may do is to make you buy gems type things to power things.
--
CaMg(CO3)2 - Its Dolomite baby.....Dolomite!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

i had this in mind since we started, because kind of come from a shard where everything was sooooo expensive.

basically i'm trying to keep gold-fountains down, like, or champs drop less gold, we had a hiryu-fandancer gold explosion, therefor there's a bit less fandancers for now, until this blows over...
Once we get a bit larger we'll have occasional auctions (if there's gold needed to be sunk), with deco and nice items...

but idea for spellchanneling deeds and such is great. I'm just concerned about this: some great stuff costs 10 million gold. The player has only 5. Therefor he will be harvesting gold until he gets 10mil. Also, i saw once a "tree for your house" - 15 mil. Fountain - 20 mil. those are ridiculous prices...
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
trikky
Elder Scribe

Post by trikky »

How about making tokens the trade currency of choice...

That way you could reduce the drops on monsters and make a standardised exchange rate that may be changed when there is a glut in the market.

Start out at 5 - 1 and see how it goes....If people are buying loads then set the rate higher.
--
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

i wouldnt force the gold-token rate... it would need constant supervision. plus i think it's better for the people to trade between themselves, that way they alone control the price not that they can get a better rate at a vending stone.
Do you think it would promote economy? our economy is still a little bit in wrapping paper.

just got an idea :wink:
how about capping LRC suits at around 60% ? I think if you get yourself a nice lrc set, and AFK alot, that keeps alot of money in too. Then afk macroing is virtually free. Not a good thougt for the average player that wants to have free stuff, but might keep quite alot of gold out.
We have spellcasters keys - not an annoyance to stock up one day for the whole month in advance, so basically the only annoyance would be that casting spells wouldnt be free anymore.
Or, making runics produce 10% lrc per piece max, and monsters would drop items with 10% max too. that way it would take alot of effort to find a 80% suit.
capping would be much easyer, also if we someday decide to scrap the idea and make 100% lrc possible again.

maybe even disabling the bulk reagent stone someday, and making a few more mages/alchemists NPCs, which would create the posibility of trading reagents for profit... someday/maybe/probably not/if players wanted that.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
trikky
Elder Scribe

Post by trikky »

I don't think limiting or removing LRC will make any difference.

The original idea of selling deco at high prices would be good.
Maybe selling unique *items* like deeds to allow your fave weapon to have a on hit speech thingy.....So when you hit a monster it has a chance to say phrases...No big thing....But its fun! :D

Maybe selling other things aswell.
To be honest there are precious few free shards that manage to have a working economy. The best most can do is to allow things to be sold to remove gold from the shard.
Most shards do things like selling shard unique weapons or armour......Things like that
--
Pip
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pip »

I agree, for some people, the only thing they see as fun is to make gold... they may not be into "fighting monsters" all over the world, but they may really want to have the most unique house, or have the coolest looking pet etc., so selling unique items that really have no game significance may be a way to keep gold volume down. But on the same note, there should be stuff the hard core warrior would want to buy to aid his quests. Remember, we may not have them now, but one day we may have some younger players who's parents may not let them donate to get some useful stuff, but they may have hours to play and may amass large sums in thier bank. They too should be able to get certian useful itemsnot easy (or possible) to obtain in the game... just my 2 cents worth... *stepping down from soapbox*
Zax
Apprentice Scribe

Alot of good ideas...

Post by Zax »

There are alot of good ideas in these posts. I am glad that I am not the one that has to sort it out and make a decision. But I would like to add a sugestion. There are currently no $5 donation items... I think. If there aren't, then why not add spell channeling or 100 luck deeds as the $5 donation. Then add a stone that allows players to buy excelisor dollars with gold. On osi gold averaged $5 per million. Some equation could be worked out to make it fair to true money donaters but at the same time encourage players to spend gold on excelisor dollars. This would do two things; eliminate gold and give people that couldn't donate a chance to get those special items. This combined with a staff auction of limited items and a vendor stone that sold some nessasary game items for gold would keep gold in check. Unfortunaly staff would have the continuous challenge of maintaining the stone and changing out the items. If the same items stayed on the stone then once everyone bought the items they would return to hording gold.
Let's face the truth... there is no high score in this game except the rare items one owns or the huge amount of gold you have collected. People hording gold is inevevitable(excuse spelling). How else can we should that we are the masters of the universe??? :D
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

well i'm not sure of it right now, there's bless deeds and +100 luck, name rename deed for 10$ donation, that well could be sold for alot of gold as well.
There is no gold/tokens available with donations, to promote gold flows - a player donates 20$, gets 200 ED and sells them for gold, or other nice items from other players.
Excelsior dollars are a very strange currency. I defiened the item itself as something that only admins can create with a special command, a GM or admin cannot set it's amount, they cannot duplicate it. That is because it's the closest thing to real money, and should be kept very safe. All transactions will be manual (must get an admin to purchase an item with ED). I've been thinking about a vendor stone, but then nobody knows how much ED comes in and out, which is very important - if there wont be enough donations, there will certaintly be less excelsior dollars given out at events.
Gold can be harvested AFK somehow, you might remember the flaxing age on a shard we both know. Tokens can be exploited too. If we made it possible to buy them without supervision, someone might harvest 1000 ED before we would even know.

I think we could give this a while, our economy is still small, if we see prices going up, we'll first have an auction or two. Might be good to start having smaller gold flows (for example housetaxes, 50% lrc, more expensive breeding) - that way there's no rapid price shifts before-after an auction.

remember the flaxing age - 120 magery was 19mil before the auction, 3.5mil after the auction, then 4 days later it was 15 mil again hehe.

well, youre right. Items, for alot of gold, that are very cool :)

(Old Colibrian proverb)
trikky
Elder Scribe

Post by trikky »

Here is a suggestion.....

Seeing as minor arties are an insanely low drop rate....If they drop at all...
I have been killing paragons for the past few days and not got one...

How about being able to buy deeds that will give minor arties?..
BUT......(And this is the important part)
Make the arties IRREPAIRABLE...That way they would need to be bought anew when they break.
Arties would cost a lot of gold/tokens and will NOT drop from paragons.
(Maybe have lvl 5 paragon chests have a small chance to have one inside?)
--
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

another gold sink idea, combined with the problem of noskillcap

from what i hear, people on noskillcap afkmacroing shards get bored after a while. But we cant just remove that... That's why we could have the default skill cap at 1500, then you would have to buy skillcap scrolls with certain power to raise that.
Scrolls that can get you to 2k skill would be for example 20k gold per 100skill.
Scrolls that are effective to 2.5k skill would be 50k gold per 100skill.
Effective to 3k skillcap would be 75k gold per 100 skill... and so on.

So someone, who has trained to 1500 already, and wants to increase their cap to 2000, needs to buy 5 scrolls at 20k gold - 100k gold. Someone else who wants to raise from 3500 to 4000, would need to buy 5 scrolls at the price 200k per scrolls, making this cost 1 million.

;)

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Shaft
Master Scribe

Post by Shaft »

i actually think thats a fantastic idea Col. But what about those people with 4500 skill already? Can we setup some sort of payment plan with the bill collectah?
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

well... yes new players would be 1500cap, existing ones would be set to 2k on the date this *would* go into effect. and for example, first 2 weeks scrolls for up to 3k would be 50% off

but well, the few players that have all skills GM'd it wouldnt be a problem, i think you probably have alot of money.

anyone else has an opinon about this one? i think i could poll it.

another thing, i just made so we have a small auction every 2 weeks... we'll sell lost pets and some other nice items (bless deeds, rename deeds... but not many, just 1 of each) .... so i think we just made too many ways to get your gold back! :twisted:

(Old Colibrian proverb)