Cupid Quest 2017

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Nyx
Administrator

Cupid Quest 2017

Post by +Nyx »

Cupid is in need of help. Venus, yet again angered at him, is tormenting him by corrupting the Cherubim out of spite. He needs brave adventurers to assist him in purifying as many Cherubim as possible and discouraging Venus' meddling.

To begin the quest, approach Cupid and say "hello". He is located in the gardens of Nujel'm which are behind the Palace and to the South.

This quest is repeatable every 8 hours. The rewards display can be found in the small building directly West of the healer in Yew.

For more details, please visit the wiki page: http://uoex.net/wiki/Cupid_Quest

This quest will run until March 3rd.

Updates for 2017:
- Condensed the rewards code on the NPC. This is complicated to explain, but what it means for you is that the rewards chances have a more smooth arc from least-rare to most-rare, and you're a bit more likely to see some of the rare stuff.
- Streamlined reward code for marking the year and etc
- Various efficiency changes to Cupid, the reward token items, etc
- Updated the sapling appearance
- Upped overall quest requirements & added a third book
- Upped totem requirement from 35 to 40 (it was far too easy last year)
- Completely overhauled the rewards system & rewards themselves. There are now a total of 84 rewards.
  • Rewards Changes:
  • Conversation hearts: Updated appearance, changed to 6 total (from 12)
  • Love Notes: Updated appearance, hues, & functionality (dbl click to see the message), changed to 6 total (from 12)
  • Extravagant & Godiva Chocolates: added 2nd directions to each
  • Cupid's Quiver - NEW
  • Plushies: new hues & functionality
  • Personalized Valentines: 6 colors (double-click to inscribe) - NEW
  • Bachelor/Bachelorette items: 2 available, each in both directions - NEW
  • Rose petals: 4 colors - NEW
  • Miniature trees: 12 total - NEW
  • Rose from Secret Admirer - NEW
  • Cupid & Psyche Painting: both directions - NEW
  • Soul Fire: 4 colors - NEW
  • Cupid Costume: 5 pieces - NEW
  • Xanthe's Roses: 3 colors (available on the vendor stone) - NEW

Everything has been pretty well tested, the only thing I'm not sure about is the difficulty level of the mobs for book 3. Send a page if there's anything crazy wrong with them, but keep in mind that they're meant to be about the same difficulty level as the cherubim.

Go forth and enjoy, my shardlings!
Jax2
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Cupid Quest 2017

Post by Jax2 »

According to wiki, the cooldown time for stealing the saplings is supposed to be reduced to 3 seconds, however, it is still taking the full 8 seconds. Was that intentional?
Gaara
Legendary Scribe

Post by Gaara »

Jax2 wrote:According to wiki, the cooldown time for stealing the saplings is supposed to be reduced to 3 seconds, however, it is still taking the full 8 seconds. Was that intentional?
it's 3 sec for me :?
Jax2
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Jax2 »

I tried it in 3 different spots in that serpents passage or w/e it is and every place took 8 full sec ... weird
Alex
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alex »

3 seconds for me too.
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

3 seconds for me, great quest too :)

Love the look of the saplings and they are super easy to target given their colour and size :D
In game name: Abarai
ScarletArmstrong
Apprentice Scribe

Post by ScarletArmstrong »

It's 3 seconds for me too. I like this quest. But, everytime I see the Unicorn poop, I wish I could have one! :lol:
“Life is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Semtex
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Semtex »

Hi+Nyx

you wrote that u upped the runs for the totem from 35 to 40 this year 2017.
but last year the totem runs was set to 30. if i read it it right in the forum.
it is hard to do 40 runs with a RL job and 5 days a week >8 hours away from the shard :)

Greetings
Semtex
Blathzar
Elder Scribe

Post by Blathzar »

Run it when you get up in the morning even if you need to get up earlier than you used to. Also do it once you get back from work so you get 2x quest done per day. you should have enough to complete it within 20 days :D Faster if you run it 3 times per day in the weekend. Cheers :)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

The totems are not meant to be easy to get, they are meant to be challenging and involve a lot of time. This quest is by far the quickest and easiest to run of any of the seasonal events, so it needs a high repeat requirement for the totem.
kivan78
Apprentice Scribe

Post by kivan78 »

That's not how you make an item difficult to get...
Because putting a limit in the 24 hours is the same in term of invested time. You are just annoying people who works and are not retired or unemployed...
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Sure, I could increase the difficulty involved in getting the totem by making all the mobs super hard, and add a ton of steps to the quest so that it went on forever. But that's not what this quest is meant to be like, it's always been one of the easiest ones and that's the way I want it to be. And even if I did that, people would complain, because so many folks wouldn't be able to complete the quest at all - whether because they're not geared enough for it to be easy, or because the time sink involved in completing a longer quest was too much. People are going to complain regardless of what I do, so I choose what I prefer to do and design the quests accordingly, and for the seasonal quests, that's how it is.
kivan78
Apprentice Scribe

Post by kivan78 »

People are going to complain because the cap of repetitions is spread in 24 hours ( 2 or 3 repetitions in the span of the 24 hours) instead of 1 repetition every 8 hours? Don't think so.
You really think it's a cool way to make a quest difficult to have people logon and play 30 min every 8 hours?
Doing the same stuff 40 times is already tedious, can we at least decide how to manage our time?
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

kivan78 wrote:cap of repetitions is spread in 24 hours ( 2 or 3 repetitions in the span of the 24 hours) instead of 1 repetition every 8 hours?
I have no idea what you're talking about...the quest is repeatable every 8 hours. Someone running the quest without missing a timer at all would get to 90 runs, based on the length of time the quest is open.

You could "manage your time", as you say by running the quest once a day for the 30 days it's open - that gets you to 30 runs right there, then run it twice a day over the weekends or whenever you have the time, and you'd get to the required 40 for a totem.

If that is too much for you, then you simply don't get a totem and you can try again for the dove next year, as well as for the next seasonal quest which opens in March.

And yes, people complain regardless of what we do. There's no way to do any event that doesn't result in somebody complaining about something. Largely because so many people feel entitled to get whatever they want and if they have to work more for it than they prefer, they gripe.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

fun quests are fun, some people just like to argue and stuff..
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011