Beehive changes

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Re: Beehive changes

Post by dreamstalker »

due to health probs i wont be able to continue bee's myself. i have shooting pains in everything from my toes to my fingers due to diabetic neuropathy. kinda hard to line up and click all those dots while getting those pains in ,my fingers not to mention finger cramps and toe cramps and ......... anyways in my opion this "improvement' is mainly just to stop the people from scipting. i have steadily been losin eyesight and the red dots against the yellow background was the shiznitz but now grey? lol
The "improvement" i would like to see is changes made to doors to stop the scripters from being able to open them on the run...perhaps a chest at each door where u have to stop and steal a key then double click the key . now thats an improvement we could all get behind.... im am sorry to say that the time is coming that this server no matter how much i luv it is goin to improve me right out of playing. hopefully not for another 8 years though ;)
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
Alamiester
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alamiester »

so what color do you need to click? the dark gray spots? if thats the case it looks easier to see if there is 5 dark grey spots in a clump. i usually only have trouble hitting the dots when ive had a few drinks, lol
fixxer1963
Legendary Scribe

Post by fixxer1963 »

I personally like the grey cluster change. My main complaint before was having to click 4 to 5 really small dots per potion. Now it is 1 or 2 huge clusters to click in. As of right now, I have modified my old script for the red dots. But I will be happy when all the potions go to grey clusters.
As for the double potions issue... just click the one cluster if that is all you need. Ignore the text message telling you "one more to go". I am sure that is a minor glitch. Maybe they will fix it. If they don't, it's no big deal.
Hawke Armstrong/FiXXer
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

+Arden wrote:We have made a minor change to the beehive...

When you try and add the cure potion to the hive this is what will come up, its a new system for the hive and is currently in testing, the circled areas are where youre supposed to click to apply the potion, if you miss the hive will be considered disturbed and you will still have to add the potions.

Summary:
click on gray clusters to add cure potions to hive, dont miss

Hi,

What are you trying to accomplish? If you want to forbid scripts on certain things, please just forbid scripts. What you've done here is a slap in the face for me. As if you want to play cold-war escalation with script authors alongside a healthy dose of "gotcha, now you gotta fix your scripts before your bees die!"

Regards,
Wil
fixxer1963
Legendary Scribe

Post by fixxer1963 »

Wil wrote: Hi,
What are you trying to accomplish? If you want to forbid scripts on certain things, please just forbid scripts. What you've done here is a slap in the face for me. As if you want to play cold-war escalation with script authors alongside a healthy dose of "gotcha, now you gotta fix your scripts before your bees die!"
Regards,
Wil
They have made it easier for the people who do not use scripts. And if you can script or get a revised script, this will make the script even faster as there are not up to 5 dots to click.
If you are complaining just because you don't like change... well, LOOK!! those kids are on your lawn again!!
Hawke Armstrong/FiXXer
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

fixxer1963 wrote:If you are complaining just because you don't like change...
If you fancy yourself a user interface developer, one of the better books in the space is "About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design". One of the key design principles explored in the book is this: Significant change must be significantly better.
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

when I add cure to beehive after the last restart I get credit no matter where I click and even when I get message saying I poured wrong and disturbed bees
Sadie McKee
Adept Scribe

Post by Sadie McKee »

Thank you for making the diseased spot darker it is so much easier to see now. The change makes the hives much easier to tend now instead of clicking 4 or 5 times on a red dot.
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

now that i hzve thought about it i think the grey spots are not that bad but what i dont like is the fact that this has nothin to do with making beehives easier its abou stopping people from scripting. if it was to make it better it wold have been applied to all 4 potions. so ya ill agree with it if you apply to all an then i might be able to do hives by hand otherwise my bees start dyin tonite sorry if i repeated or otherwise lost my train of thought but yall would roflya if you saw me twitching cause of the meds im on tryin to type this. i think i have had to hit the backspace key 20x more then actually typin. and if you saw me ttryin to click thte lil red dots......lol so in closing change them all or nome. quit pickin on those of us that dont want carpal tunnel syndrome
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
Fiacha
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Fiacha »

Hmm I am having trouble understanding where to click. I read through everything but I still don't understand. I also am trying to understand, if I "disturb the hive" by clicking on the wrong spot but the potion shows as still being added will this just result in no honey ? I have no honey in my hives today after they reset.
Maze Scarlethart
Master Scribe

Post by Maze Scarlethart »

dreamstalker wrote:now that i hzve thought about it i think the grey spots are not that bad but what i dont like is the fact that this has nothin to do with making beehives easier its abou stopping people from scripting. if it was to make it better it wold have been applied to all 4 potions. so ya ill agree with it if you apply to all an then i might be able to do hives by hand otherwise my bees start dyin tonite sorry if i repeated or otherwise lost my train of thought but yall would roflya if you saw me twitching cause of the meds im on tryin to type this. i think i have had to hit the backspace key 20x more then actually typin. and if you saw me ttryin to click thte lil red dots......lol so in closing change them all or nome. quit pickin on those of us that dont want carpal tunnel syndrome
You can modify your macro to remove the cure parts from it and then go back and do the cures by hand for now. That being said, I agree with you completely Dreamstalker. The new way might be alright, I'm not saying I don't like it but its all or nothing. Make all of the gumps the same or put it back the way it was. I know you are trying to combat afk macroing but there are legit reasons why some people use macros and you are punishing people who have physical disabilities by making everything unmacroable. I use them myself because I work in a foundry making small car parts, my carpal tunnel is so bad it takes a very long time to do bees by hand. I can only manage one hive before taking a break because my hand is so numb I can't actually click my mouse buttons. I will for sure try out the new way, if my hands cant handle it I guess I will have to chop them.

This is not a complaint btw, this is just letting you see someone elses point of view. Bees are my only source of gold in this game atm but I'm sure something else will come up that I can do at some point.... hopefully. :wink:
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Dreamstalker download Mcro 2.3 set for spam left-click with a pause timer and you dont need to click.
Thats how I save my mouse from all +Nyx events xD

My opinion about scripting is simple either it is allowed or it is forbidden, attempting to invalidate scripts is just a waste of time, and if anyone needs to script for some reason they should not be doing that activity. I would love to be able to have 3k days beehives but I can't due to fact that my work doesn't allow me to be here all days and have time to manually attend the hives so I can't spend dinner time running a script and getting rich. If you have time there are ways , simple.

And the main fact that everyone forgets why scripters are hunted is that no one gives a ... about the game economy ... :lool:
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Here's an unfinished version of my updated beehive script. It'll wait 5 seconds before clicking the dark spot, so don't panic: wait and let it do its thing. It'll also abort a few times where it isn't sure enough that it understands the dark spot, so just re-run it when it does. It's smart enough to figure out what potions have already been applied, so it's perfectly safe to re-run it. Finally, there's a bug in the game where you sometimes disturb the bees even though you've clicked dead center in the dark spot. I've reported it. Please don't blame the script.

Personally, I think the dark spot presentation looks prettier than all-yellow with red dots and I think being able to click a larger area instead of tiny red dots is nice too. What I don't like is that both of these things could be achieved without actually removing the red dots that tell us the center of where we should click... which would have broken few if any player scripts and would have upset nobody.
IdMtnGal
Novice Scribe

Post by IdMtnGal »

I never did macro beekeeping, even though it was hard one my hands, I liked it before. Now my production is down by half and I feel like a moron for not being able to keep from pouring potions on my bees and making them mad.... I hope I can get used to the new system.

Could be worse, I reckon.... the bees could attack and do damage. :lol:
In game: Kari Olrun (formerly known as Adeleide)
I used to be an adventurer like you....
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

About clicking the wrong part (healthy part of the hive) which results in a correctly applied potion, that's a bug that will be fixed. Clicking the wrong part should consume a potion, but not actually apply it on the hive.

About disturbed hives - this same mechanic was added many years back when some used multiple accounts to get around the hive limit - but at the same time, how to still make it possible for a friend to tend your hives while you were on vacation? So if someone who is not an owner pours potions on the hive, the hive will operate normally, but wont produce that cycle.
If a hive is disturbed, it doesn't produce any resources on the next cycle, but still consumes potions.

There's also currently an issue that if you click the edge of the grey spot (still inside, but very on the edge) it considers it a wrong position. Fixing that, there will be a restart later in the day.
IdMtnGal wrote:Could be worse, I reckon.... the bees could attack and do damage. :lol:
Sounds like a good idea :mrgreen: (just kidding, we won't put this in).

We won't prohibit scripting. One of things for the shard I would like to see, is to get people acquainted with code, and maybe even start writing it. That's how i got into coding - by changing just a single variable once, then wanted to do bigger changes and that led me to learn more and more.
On the other hand, I see that many players according to activity logs (also confessions in this thread) - out of a sudden start clicking beehives at 200msec delays, and then go idle again. Keep in mind that bees produce quite an income. So I hope all those macros are at least running with the player looking.
Saying this is a bad change because you can no longer just click Play on a macro, is not a valid argument. Macros are a tool to extend the lifespan of your mouse, and keep carpal tunnel away. But this is not a bot competition.

So the game is supposed to be a challenge - and i see Wil has already taken on the challenge to code a macro that will work with this new gump. And some time in the future, we'll present a new challenge.
For those who don't use a macro, this is easier to see, larger area to click and less clicks involved.

With the next restart, we'll likely remove the old red dot gumps, and have this new hive pour gump on just the cure and another one of the potions, not all.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)