Roadmap part 1

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Re: Roadmap part 1

Post by Cerrera »

* frantically swings pom poms and hairy legs *
You can do it, you can run!
you can make here, all this fun!
Excelsior is the quest!
Excelsior is the best!
Excelsior...
Its our daily fest!
:mrgreen:
Praise
Master Scribe

Post by Praise »

:lool:
Praise
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

oh god.,... now we have carrera dressing up in a mini skirt and pom pom's
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Making good progress... was hoping to post weekly updates by now but I'm rather just focusing on getting as much done as possible. I'm also writing up an outline of all the components as I go, and I'll be able to post % progress on each of them.

Just wanted to share a visual of where I'm traveling... Basically, it's not a straight line, it's more of a fractal.
2024-02-16 progress fractal.png
2024-02-16 progress fractal.png (17.15 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
2024-02-16 progress expand.png
2024-02-16 progress expand.png (17.77 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

POV :)
desktop.png
desktop.png (664.55 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Alibaster
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alibaster »

Definitely a labor of love and I appreciate all that you do for this community. Can't wait to see everything in action
Alibaster in game!!
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

Thanks +C for all your hard work and dedication we see you!!!
@ Me Bro
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

personally i dont think +C is working hard enough, he needs a little motivation

time to hold a nerf gun to his head
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

Geriatric wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:09 pm
personally i dont think +C is working hard enough, he needs a little motivation

time to hold a nerf gun to his head
Bam your jailed with 1k tasks LOL
@ Me Bro
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Yeah, i don't see that buttons being pushed enough hard, keyboard still isn't cracked.
Also no white stains of salt from dried up sweat on table. :geek:
But without jokes, impatiently waiting :) .
Zeratul
Elder Scribe

Post by Zeratul »

Free the hues!
Trung2410
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Trung2410 »

Zeratul wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:30 pm
Free the hues!
I agree :nod:
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Last week this project passed a significant milestone: the Contextual Commands are coded to a point where I was able to open up a clone of Trammel and invited 5 players to come and test it. The commands that exist right now are just the bare essentials to create objects, modify some properties, delete them, and fast-travel around the facet. The members of the team have a permit with a decorative scope, meaning they can create/delete/modify statics (i.e. decorative items like walls, floors, flowers, candles, etc...). For testing purposes I added ability to create some basic creatures (dog, cat, mongbat - they are on-tamable and blessed/non-killable, so there's no need to worry about anyone using it to cheat the game).
I am using dynamically-reloadable code, so since Wednesday I already made a batch of upgrades, and a few minor fixes, and applied them directly without a server restart. (maybe just a 2-second lag spike)

I'm going to take a few more days to add some more commands, currently working on an implementation of [area (which makes it possible to perform an operation on all items in an area), and [tile (make a large slab of floor for example).
The team of testers are also giving me some good feedback about what's missing and what would be good to have in the future.

For another few days I'll be improving the command system, and then I'll move on to another area of this whole framework - data, storing data in the database, keeping cached copies on the server, linking those cached copies to in-game objects, and data modification log (all edits get stored so that they can be reverted, or reviewed). Some infrastructure code for passing data around is already done and is part of the command system, now am making it linkable/referencable/storable/retrievable. For example, an addon will then be defined as just plain data (which is "polymorphable" between various formats, i can import/export it as JSON or as database records). When we make such an addon available, and it's Version 1.0.0, you can place it i your house... and if there needs to be an upgrade or fix to that addon, we add version 1.1.0 into the database, and I just set the server's config files that "CoolLookingStove" is no longer 1.0.0 but 1.1.0. But, maybe the newer version is even buggier (or completely unusable in some situation), so I can quickly revert to 1.0.0 until it's fixed. This goes for anything in the game, addons, weapons, spells, fight mechanics, dungeon layout... Though this actual functionality of each type of object/mechanic/functionality has to then be coded with the new system, but slowly I'll make all the stuff in the game to be compatible with it, or do a complete recode of some things.

I'll keep you posted.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)