Grand auction - February 3rd and 4th

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
Durocius
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Grand auction - February 3rd and 4th

Post by Durocius »

Congrats on the totem and weapon,Lach. Most of us appreciate your community contributions.
Still question your taste in NFL teams. 😂
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

DC4L
@ Me Bro
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Lach wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:45 pm
Why would I tell everyone good luck and be nasty or what was it you called me sarcastic. Oh that's right I'm the bad thing you all have been talking about huh? Why not just come out with it, instead of shady insults behind my back? I have no problem with anyone here and have tried and helped most even you got a great deal on travesty keys, even ran a free public event just to have fun. It's quite offensive to be honest. :displeased:
It's coming tomorrow.

Given your approach to the last auction and re-auction I had very genuine reasons to think it might have been a sarcastic "Good luck - you're gonna need it" type thing. When you're buying out the entire reauction and pulverising 8 year old vets and community members, grossly inflating auction items. Yeah, I thought it was potentially condescending and sinister, that's why I asked.

FYI I paid standard price on trav keys, I wasn't dishonest or short changing you on that. WAG has done public harrower runs before (8 skulls in 2 events, 4 of which were mine and I never once put my name to it - don't feel the need to improve my standing here by bragging about donating things like that).

I think when Deckard became upset and your overhead chat response was "Hate hate hate", that was offensive.
Durocius wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:53 pm
Most of us appreciate your community contributions.
We must move in very different circles then. Most I speak to have the opposite view on said "contributions".
JOHNNY WARREN!
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

This thread has gotten quite offtopic, locking for now.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Thread unlocked. Please keep the posts relevant to this auction only, we can have a separate discussion about whether there need to be any changes to how the auctions are run.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Needs more X to Y, +10 to a hit and +5/20 spend point deeds and ethy variety at these things.

Personally think the reduce consumption (arrow) deed should just be on ED/gold stones. Approx 75mil. You would sell far more as people upgrade weps etc, than the 2 or 3 a year. Sinks a lot more gold and frees up item slots in auction for the above items.

Otherwise, thanks again for hosting.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Johnny Warren wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:07 pm
Personally think the reduce consumption (arrow) deed should just be on ED/gold stones. Approx 75mil. You would sell far more as people upgrade weps etc, than the 2 or 3 a year. Sinks a lot more gold and frees up item slots in auction for the above items.
I think this would be a great opportunity to sink more EDs and tokens as well.

Something like the reduce consumption deed could be sold for 1,000ed plus 10 million tokens.

You could also throw in the infinite bandage deed for about the same amount.

Also throw in the infinite flute for the same amount.

The deed to bless your backpack and the 100% lrc deed can also be added for similar amounts. This would likely increase the amount of donations (+C this is for you) and keep the price of tokens from going down...down...and more down.
Demascus
Passer by

Post by Demascus »

I sent a feature suggestion stating pretty much these exact points right after the auction. These are "quality of life" items, they give no real advantages in game other than removing some of the tedium involved in crafting instruments, buying bandies and arrows, and so on.

As the last two posts have stated, it could involve a static price, give newer players something to aim for, veterans something else to dump their gold on, and bring some nuance to the game and ED room, and stimulate the economy in the process.

I get wanting to keep items rare, but the rarity of selling an ammo deed once a year for an extra 30-40 million, won't outweigh the 50-100 sales each of these items would generate (in some cases multiple purchases by the same person as they upgrade weapons and gear) over a short period of time vs the 1-2 of each item that currently sell at auction each year. I like the idea of multiple currencies as well, tokens have been flagging for ages, this could/would help a ton.

It seems like a great idea and a win all around, for players, new and old alike, and the server benefits hugely as well.
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Thank you for making more frequent auctions +C I hope the price of ED remains low for a while. It sure is more attractive to newcomers like that.

Regarding this specific auction:
- Perhaps adding more token items to the auction - a deco that would sell for 6-11 mil in gold would sink as much or even more in tokens if a player needs to exchange in the moment. You wouldn't sink the gold directly but sinking an exchange item that goes for more than 1 gp is always gold sink in the long run. And also because tokens are rather useless and the more players stockpile them the worst it gets.

- Also, there were no elven notes in this auction. I think you should always burn all currencies in the same spot so that parallel markets are not created between auctions and inflate/deflate different currencies.

Congratulations to all the winner also! :)
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

How about veteran points? good currency :P
Would also have long term consequences for player, using them. :mrgreen:
Turnabout
Elder Scribe

Post by Turnabout »

So. Predatory capitalism is good... if you are the alpha predator, if not, then it's vary bad :lol: . That's a joke let's go to the post.

In my opinion the gameplay on the shard can be fully appreciated just purchasing items from the ED room, every single item from auctions is just a deco or a surplus of damage that won't significantly change the overall experience.

For example, taking into account a whirlwind farm situation like Fel. Wrong, the respawn rate of mobs is slower than the damage output of my humble 5*46 (double axe base weapon). In single target cases the difference is even less perceptible because a pack of imps will reduce significantly the gap between a common weapon and an highly modified weapon (with auction deeds).

One of the few situations where the difference in damage output is significant in terms of saved time (DPS) is Netopir where pets are ineffective. I need an average of 6 minutes to kill it without pets. A "premium" weapon will save how much time? 2 minutes? 3 minutes? The respawn is 2 hours.

The same concept can be applied to the totem slot deed: having a bonus 20-38 HP will significantly change the experience of a fully relayered char? I don't think so.

At this point I start to perceive goods sold at auction as following: there are 2 kinds of auction items.

1) extremely costly not so useful (ego oriented) damage deeds,

2) costly decorative items deeds (also ego oriented).

Since the 24/7 farming is already balanced I have to admit that IMHO the state of the shard is pretty good, there are zero P2W items, zero micro transaction and a very slow number of afk farmers. Last but not least who pays more at auctions get the glory :P .

Sorry for the long post. Have fun.
The Skilled Image.
Alibaster
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alibaster »

Just my 2 cents:

As a player that is not at the end game stage but still far along enough to have fun, I do wish that items sold at auction were account bound or make them available for all users to purchase in the ED room. For example the Ancient weapons. I would LOVE to get my hands on one but 3000,000,000 gold is not an option for me. I can justify donating the money to get the ED to buy it and I don't have the time to farm gold 6+ hours a day. If the items were account bound or more readily available then some of the people running up the prices to resell them wouldn't do it. I understand the whole gold sink mentality but, as I see it, if a user buys an item for 300 mil and resells it then another player will have to generate more then 300 mil to buy it. The net effect is an increase in gold in the economy. Selling more of them at a lower price point overall would reduce gold supplies.

That's all. Thanks for listening.
Alibaster in game!!
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by GreenBar »

There is a third auction item category, 3) Convenience. An infinite use instrument, infinite bandage, 100% reduction in regular arrows, extra sha'am brace slots... none of these "save" money in the long run. I assign their cost to the convenience of fewer "maintenance" task in the game.
Turnabout wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:23 pm
At this point I start to perceive goods sold at auction as following: there are 2 kinds of auction items.
1) extremely costly not so useful (ego oriented) damage deeds,
2) costly decorative items deeds (also ego oriented).
Zalia
Legendary Scribe

Post by Zalia »

I have suggested an Account-Bound Titan's Hammer being purchased with 25 Vet points. :)
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

edited.