What's in a name.....

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

What's in a name.....

Post by [Glyph] »

This has been bouncing around in my head for a while and I am finally putting it up. What's in a name is somewhat like behind the char, however, this post is about why you chose the name you did. What went in to the process? Are you a mysterious wizard? Are you a wise but sarcastic small green fellow? Obviously I am talking about Kermit here. Or are you simply who you are? There are some very cool names on the shard, please tell us about how they came to be. I will start.
Last edited by [Glyph] on Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Re: What's in a name.....

Post by [Glyph] »

GLYPH. I was looking for a name that I thought was cool and interesting. I wanted something that was a bit off the norm but nothing too long. I also wanted something that could be put discretely on some of my projects that could also be a pictograph or symbol. I am a huge fan of the Stargate franchise and while researching the symbols or "Glyphs" on the different Stargates I had the Eureka moment. Glyphs are a bit mysterious, sometime annoying and frustrating but ultimately something you develop a fondness for. Either that or you can't stand them and treat them like a fungus that wont go away. I thought, "this is it" and Glyph was born. Who will go next?
Iago Venport
Elder Scribe

Post by Iago Venport »

Well you see back in my day we had 8.3 characters per name and...HEY GET OFF MY LAWN!! ;)
Interesting story Glyph...your next character should be Exploding Runes *bahdumkish* *crickets*
Anyway, I went with Iago Venport as kind of a second choice I pieced together. I did a lot of professional theatre years ago and was cast as Iago in Othello. I've always been type cast as the antagonist and Iago's tact in professing only the best intentions but secretly lining up everyone's downfall was something that appealed to me. On top of that is the fact that I studied criminal psychology/forensics so I can relate to the duplicitous nature of people. Heart warming! In regards to the last name, it's taken from Aurelius Venport who was a notable character within the Dune Universe who essentially founded the spacing guild. His story is fleshed out in The Butlerian Jihad and The Machine Crusade novels written by Brian Herbert, Frank Herberts son.

- Iago
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Post by Miranda Ventrata »

No, sorry you are the bird in Aladdin.
Iago Venport
Elder Scribe

Post by Iago Venport »

Well I definitely know i'm not Laurence Fishburne...i'm so confused.
1481-004-41612721.jpg
1481-004-41612721.jpg (32.85 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
Rahr
Elder Scribe

Post by Rahr »

Rahr. Texas beer brewery. it’s gud. The end
Dindu
Novice Scribe

Post by Dindu »

Dindu Nuffin

cause I thought it funny :P
Acheron
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Acheron »

"In Dante's Inferno, the Acheron river forms the border of Hell. Following Greek mythology, Charon ferries souls across this river to Hell. "
Albini Steve
Expert Scribe

Post by Albini Steve »

Steve Albini is a legendary figure in music production and engineering - as well as an innovative musician in his own right - the Shellac album 'Live at Action Park' helped convince me to walk away from radio and commercial music forever
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

I wanted something from Tolkien but not from Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit because I wanted to dig a little deeper.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Melkor

I would highly recommend the book The Silmarillion for those who like Tolkien Lore. The Silmarillion is the story of all the ages, LOTR is like 16 pages out of it. It can be hard to get started as its a little bit much at the beginning. When i read it the first time I started at the second age and read from there then looped back and read the first age at the end.
TDC Guild
Batousi
Novice Scribe

Post by Batousi »

I got mine from one of my favorite Anime Ruroni Kenshin. Back when I started to use this name I didn't bother to look up how to spell it so I have stuck with how I first spelled it. In the anime Kenshin is called Batousai the Man Slayer. I thought Batousi was a better way to spell it lol
Sethra Lavode
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Sethra Lavode »

What a neat-O idea, Glyph. And WOW to some of the names here!! Mine is from a series of books, too. The author is Steven Brust. The series is Taltos, however he has also written a book named Sethra Lavode (along with other main chars) to help with back story. I fell in love with the books and fell in awe of her. That is it, that is all, and that is enough...especially if you read about her. :dance
Starfish & coffee, maple syrup & jam. Butterscotch clouds & a tangerine, side order of ham.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

Nick of old is my name in the game because my old char on this shards name was Nick which is my IRL nickname as my actual name is Nicholas. I started here in 2010 but took a long break from 2012-2017... so, if anyone wants help or assistance playing with stuff I am more then happy to help out. (I use razor)
mineiro
Adept Scribe

Post by mineiro »

Mineiro simply means "miner" in Portuguese and also if you are born in the state of Minas Gerais (which is famous for mining activities) you are called Mineiro. Therefore thats my name!

Also since it is in portuguese it makes it easier for other portuguese speakers to identify it.
Golden Temptress
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Golden Temptress »

Well Golden Temptress served no purpose other than I picked a silly name when I joined another shard 2 years before joining here and kept the name when I came over to this shard, however last month I came to a milestone when I reached 8 years of wonderful excelsior fun :) so I decided to celebrate by choosing a more serious name Chrysanthe which means Golden Flower in ancient greek - 2 things I like the colour yellow and flowers so win win :nod: