So Auction philosophy thread.

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
Lach
Elder Scribe

Re: So Auction philosophy thread.

Post by Lach »

But wait there is more have the owner of this shard return my money today he can take my account and he can then auction off my stuff how about that, that make the few of yall stop crying huh? Make ya happy?

-Lachian-
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Lach wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:40 am
Take all the frustration you apparently have for "Someone" and put it into the shard......... But "Someone" digresses because "Someone" is falling behind in work over defending "Someone's" freedom to do whatever they want.
Since you are quoting me I can't let it pass. All my posts on this discussion have been trying to help people understand exactly the point that a player is free to donate whatever amount he wishes and that the shard problem is not in auctions but in the shard's general lack of activity brought by a larger problem that is the lack of content and lack of game masters. It wouldn't be a "philosophy thread" if the problem would not be explored in its "ups and downs"...

If you think you're that someone I'm sorry to inform you that many players have donated largely throughout the years so I'm sorry to disappoint you but its not about you. Its about the shard.
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

Silent wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:14 am
Lach wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:40 am
Take all the frustration you apparently have for "Someone" and put it into the shard......... But "Someone" digresses because "Someone" is falling behind in work over defending "Someone's" freedom to do whatever they want.
Since you are quoting me I can't let it pass. All my posts on this discussion have been trying to help people understand exactly the point that a player is free to donate whatever amount he wishes and that the shard problem is not in auctions but in the shard's general lack of activity brought by a larger problem that is the lack of content and lack of game masters. It wouldn't be a "philosophy thread" if the problem would not be explored in its "ups and downs"...

If you think you're that someone I'm sorry to inform you that many players have donated largely throughout the years so I'm sorry to disappoint you but its not about you. Its about the shard.
How sweet still do better ;)
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

This thread is about Auction philosophy (which often leans into general economy philosophy as the two are intertwined). Please keep post on topic. It's not a personal thing, it's a philosophical thing. I have expressed my concerns about what will occur at auctions moving forward - which is what the thread is about.

As Silent said, there have been many large donators in the past. How they impact auctions each played out differently. This is the first time it has drastically changed the face of auctions, so it will be discussed in such a thread.
Lach wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:48 am
But wait there is more have the owner of this shard return my money today he can take my account and he can then auction off my stuff how about that, that make the few of yall stop crying huh? Make ya happy?

-Lachian-
I don't want to see you leave. I would like to see you play the game. Learn how the game works. Figure out ways to earn gold in game. Set yourself a goal of playing and gathering resources for the Dec auction and see how well you can do it, rather than buying gold with RL money. It will give you two things in return; enjoyment of the game form actually playing and insight into how long it takes to earn gold to participate in auctions. That might lead to understanding the point of view of others.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Johnny Warren wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:09 pm

As Silent said, there have been many large donators in the past. How they impact auctions each played out differently. This is the first time it has drastically changed the face of auctions, so it will be discussed in such a thread.
There's really an easy explanation to why this time is different.

In the past you had dozens of active players that were very wealthy. I'm talking those that have 400-500 million + sitting in the bank. Now, because of the decline in player activity you don't see that. You have maybe a handful of active players with that kind of gold. So when one player comes in and donates a ton...it has a much bigger effect.

I never thought i'd see the day that Alejandros vendor dropped. Think of all the long time players we have lost over the last 2-3 years. These players haven't been replaced by new players. This is destroying the economy and killing gameplay. But if Colibri doesn't think the shard is in trouble then none of what we say or do matters. That's really what it boils down to.
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

See there is a major problem when people state someone in the game & everyone including me knows your talking directly about me.
My first problem is it's coweredess not to just say Lachian took the item wanted & I'm mad not oh god the game is ruined.
Now on to the next thing I don't have endless hours to play a game I do have money it's as simple as that some of yall may have the time to run around and "earn" fake currency I spend my time earning $. Therefor if I want something from an auction I can donate and trade it and then buy it.
Now I can also start macro farming like the rest and "earn" even more. The difference is I plan on giving, I loan people money, I give things to new players to help them start out,I help people.
I'm even gonna revitalize my YouTube channel starting tomorrow to teach everyone how to use Orion so when the next idoc drops the chosen ones won't have the upper hand anymore.
Now to my final point while the wife's in the shower I honestly think that what really upsets the 5 or 6 of you that quit nagging me non stop. Is the fact that you can't have it the way you want it. All I see in these forms is people telling +C to do this do that make this better it's good how it is I like this server I like all of you but apparently I'm the bad guy because I messed up the little boys club you had going on.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Lach wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:20 pm
See there is a major problem when people state someone in the game & everyone including me knows your talking directly about me.
I just try and follow shard rules and forum etiquette (which means we discuss issues, not individuals in WC and forum). Unlike the "Johnny Boy - Mic drop" thread you made, which mods removed.
Lach wrote:
My first problem is it's coweredess not to just say Lachian took the item wanted & I'm mad not oh god the game is ruined.
cowardice*

I have been outbid on more items than you've slain balrons. Not once have I complained or got mad because of that, that is part of the game. This is a very different situation to anything that has occurred here before, hence the discussion is required. I am the most vocal, but I can assure you I am not the only one that is very concerned by what we see happening.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

Johnny Warren wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:35 pm
Lach wrote:
I just try and follow shard rules and forum etiquette (which means we discuss issues, not individuals in WC and forum). Unlike the "Johnny Boy - Mic drop" thread you made, which mods removed.
Lach wrote:
cowardice*

I have been outbid on more items than you've slain balrons. Not once have I complained or got mad because of that, that is part of the game. This is a very different situation to anything that has occurred here before, hence the discussion is required. I am the most vocal, but I can assure you I am not the only one that is very concerned by what we see happening.
Well hopefully the next auction or reauction don't have anything I want byebye now. EDIT: You think this is negitave but others have told me it's postive and they are glad I'm here to put everyone else in their place. So maybe with combating the monopoly these few vets have had and the extra money going to the shard it will grow and things can be even better rather than the select few controlling every auction and meeting & agreeing not to out bid on what those certain few want. Also with the video I'm gonna make today Orion will be open to everyone to use and learn and maybe even the script that some want 5k to 10k ED to share not gonna meantion any names of course your welcome someone lol.
Turnabout
Elder Scribe

Post by Turnabout »

The shard is not dying and auction items are just deco, even when they cost hundreds of millions, nobody really need that stuff ("want it" and "need it" are two different things) to play the game.

The only case where my previous statement is not 100% accurate is the following: huge weapons. In the last few years, x*58% weapons with a decent mix of stats (HML+damage+HLD for example) are nearly impossible to get outside the auction system. Anyway x*46% are very common and fine for F2P players.
The Skilled Image.
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

Turnabout wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:26 am
In the last few years, x*58% weapons with a decent mix of stats (HML+damage+HLD for example) are nearly impossible to get outside the auction system. Anyway x*46% are very common and fine for F2P players.
Bro, tell me about it. I've been grinding mobs like crazy, doing hundreds if not thousands of high-end treasure maps, killing the bosses in peerless areas, you name it for over a year (387 days account age) and have not found a single useful weapon. I found one 4x46 with Dispel and Hit Lower Attack, but that's the best I've seen. "Only" around ~1300 Luck though - not sure how much that affects it.

There needs to be some way to get better base weapon drops. Either increase the chances of getting better drops, improve how luck affects it (more at lower levels an leveling off at higher levels, etc), or maybe a way to break down existing weapons (think like, Disenchanting) to roll for new weapons, etc. This current system is super frustrating.
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

mis-click
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Turnabout wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:26 am
The shard is not dying and auction items are just deco, even when they cost hundreds of millions, nobody really need that stuff ("want it" and "need it" are two different things) to play the game.
Beyond a certain point so is literally everything on this game. If you're going to say auction items are just deco, so don't need any attention/discussion then you need to apply that logic to everything here man. Beyond 220 dex and a few GoC pieces it is all "deco". Everyone has a different interest on the game. Mine is building high end (completely unnecessary, as you correctly pointed out) weapons, so I need certain things from auction to do so. Animal breeding, Bios, treasure hunting, vet rewards, housing, relayering, doom artifacts... everything is not "needed" here and just deco, but some want it, so I think the systems are all worth preserving. Everyone has different wants on here, just because they differ to yours does not make them less valid.
Eremite wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:30 pm

Bro, tell me about it. I've been grinding mobs like crazy, doing hundreds if not thousands of high-end treasure maps, killing the bosses in peerless areas, you name it for over a year (387 days account age) and have not found a single useful weapon. I found one 4x46 with Dispel and Hit Lower Attack, but that's the best I've seen. "Only" around ~1300 Luck though - not sure how much that affects it.
Off topic, but is an aspect of the game I am very interested in. As someone who has done... countless (honestly dunno how many peerless I have killed, 10k probably more) peerless runs I can say the frustration is real. You get that 6x58 template weapon, only for it to have 2 resists, 3 hits and SSI as the properties... or it drops as a ring, with no str & dex. I digress, the main thing I wanted to add here was your comment on luck. I used to get far more good drops when my luck was lower, around the 1200 mark was the "sweet spot" in my non-scientific evaluation of my drops.. since increasing my luck I feel like the drop quality has decreased. The reality is I do not believe luck actually plays a role at all in regular item properties (number of properties and intensity of properties). It's really just whether the RNG wants to roll your way, which is never in my experience, I've only ever looted 2 or 3 5x58s, and neither was perfect. I did a few hundred Trav runs the other week and walked away with 2 imp dogs and some notes, not a single weapon. If you want to be a weapon hunter, get used to disappointment. For reference here are the main luck threads:

https://uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13226
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12740&p=73766&hilit ... uck#p73766
Last edited by Johnny Warren on Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Eremite wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:30 pm
Luck has a noticeable impact on the quality of generic drops from all mobs. Diminishing returns, so drops at 4700 luck are not significantly better than drops at 1300 luck and there's no luck skill that drops 4x58's from a headless. But they are measurably better.

Years ago I played around with luck values in a generic UO server install to see what would happen with very large swings in luck. The impact was pretty clear. My intuition is that UOEX uses the same code I saw there.

That said, luck seems to have a negative impact to some things. I've *never* had an imp drop from Travesty at 4000+ luck. Not once. Had several drop back when my luck was lower. Maybe the RNG just hates me, but I suspect a bug.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Wil wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:17 pm

Luck has a noticeable impact on the quality of generic drops from all mobs. Diminishing returns, so drops at 4700 luck are not significantly better than drops at 1300 luck and there's no luck skill that drops 4x58's from a headless. But they are measurably better.

Years ago I played around with luck values in a generic UO server install to see what would happen with very large swings in luck. The impact was pretty clear. My intuition is that UOEX uses the same code I saw there.
I have done no testing, so cannot refute your analysis, but in my opinion luck plays no role in generic drops. As I stated above, since increasing my luck my "luck" with those drops has really been diminished. I used to do 100 trav runs and walk out with at least one 4x46/58. Nowadays I can go thousands without seeing anything. Side note, I was talking to another high end looted weapons farmer the other day and, without prompting from me they said the same thing, that since increasing their in game luck, their RL luck with the drops has decreased, and interestingly, without prompting PM'd me saying that around 1200 luck was the sweet spot for them as well. All anecdotal evidence, but I have nothing else to go on.

+C also stated every system luck was used for in the threads I linked and he didn't mention generic drops. He also stated that the code here has changed from generic code for luck, so your testing may not be valid for uoex.

Thread getting off topic. Maybe we need to use necromancy skill on the luck thread to continue this conversation.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

Luck is luck and needs to be addressed at some point this is true I will tell you with a high luck you still do get dogs and imps I've gotten a few. Weapons I need to kill some more peerless monsters to figure it out. Lesser arties in Tokyo or whatever though let me tell you everything I kill givesbme an artifact now lol. The last time i turned in I got lucky and got 2 swords of prosperity in a row also. So it is affective but I just don't think they want to make it broken. Also it's very, very, important with bios I hope to bring in a new population for the shard of younger players and they become a thing agian because they are really cool.