Bee Data

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
Cygnus
Legendary Scribe

Bee Data

Post by Cygnus »

I thought I would share a one week data collection experiment I did with my bees. For you newer players who haven't started your bees yet, this may help you decide if you want to go in this direction.

Trial period - 1 week (7 real life days)
Hive count tested - 25
Status of Hives - 100k thriving colony
Daily maintenance - 2 Greater Agility potions and Greater Cure and Greater Poison potions as needed (usually one each)

Statistics
Day 1 - 21/25 hives produced (84%) yielding 13 wax and 40 honey each Total 273 wax/840 honey
Day 2 - 20/25 hives produced (80%) yielding 13 wax and 40 honey each Total 260 wax/800 honey
Day 3 - 21/25 hives produced (84%) yielding 13 wax and 40 honey each Total 273 wax/840 honey
Day 4 - 21/25 hives produced (84%) yielding 13 wax and 40 honey each Total 273 wax/840 honey
Day 5 - 18/25 hives produced (72%) yielding 13 wax and 40 honey each Total 234 wax/720 honey
Day 6 - 20/25 hives produced (80%) yielding 13 wax and 40 honey each Total 260 wax/800 honey
Day 7 - 24/25 hives produced (96%) yielding Total 312 wax/860 honey (4 hives yielded 15 wax only due to hitting max limit)

Colony Weeky Production Average - (82.9%)
Total Unrefined Wax - 1885
Total refined wax after rendering - 1663
Wax Rendering % - 88.2%
Total Honey - 5725
Total Honey Jars - 1908 (5725/3) It takes 3 honey to fill one jar (bottle)
Wax Yield in Gold - 681, 830gp
Honey Yield in Gold - 782, 280gp

Total Yield for One Week - 1,464,110GP

It is interesting to note the high percentage of yield on Day 7. I do not know if this is just a correction for Day 5 or if it was due to the fact that 4 hit max limit of honey on that day.

I will do this experiment for one more week with a few more variables to see if there are any different results in yield.
Firedance
Expert Scribe

Re: Bee Data

Post by Firedance »

wow this is good info. Thank so much for bringing it to all of us.. :nod:
Adrias
Legendary Scribe

Post by Adrias »

Cygnus wrote: It is interesting to note the high percentage of yield on Day 7. I do not know if this is just a correction for Day 5 or if it was due to the fact that 4 hit max limit of honey on that day.
neither
Larsa
Legendary Scribe

Post by Larsa »

Ok, this has been boggling my mind for the past 2-3 weeks.... I had 24 beehives and I fed it the 2GA, GC, GP, GS potions daily and the most that failed producing was bout 2-3 beehives the max (some days). A month ago I increased an extra beehive... bringing it to a total of 25 beehives. For the past 2-3 weeks I noticed that 5-6 beehives will definitely fail production daily. Does it has something to do with the amount of beehives you have? Or changes has been made as of late?

Anybody shares the same experience lately?

I am not whinning.... I am just wondering :mrgreen:
Now offering free tours to Sgail and Umbris camp, bring your own weapons as safety is not guaranteed.
Adrias
Legendary Scribe

Post by Adrias »

Larsa wrote:Does it has something to do with the amount of beehives you have?
Yes.

Over 20 hives and some will stop producing. 25 is usually what people recommend to use. Anything more than 25 is probably a waste
Starion
Master Scribe

Post by Starion »

Same here, I was discussing this exact thing with a guild member, I thought something had happened as 7-8 of my 24 hives did not produce anything one day.

Cygnus, how are you producing 40 bottles of honey a day, mine only produce about 20 a day each ? I wonder if it's the agility as I'm only using one per hive, might up this to 2 and see what happens.
Larsa
Legendary Scribe

Post by Larsa »

Starion, before reading this post I was using one GA potion... now I am using 2 GA, GS, GC, and GP. It did made a difference and I am constantly getting 13 wax and 40 ~ 42 honey. Now after reading your post and you have 24 beehives it seems that I will still get 5-6 unproductive beehives daily regardless if it is 25 or 24 beehives.... bummer..... :cry:
Now offering free tours to Sgail and Umbris camp, bring your own weapons as safety is not guaranteed.
anarchy
Legendary Scribe

Post by anarchy »

i was doing some bee testing before and have noticed to keep things thriving and keeping cost for pots down; the bees share plants and water. if you spaced out the water and plants in a hex formation you will get much better results (less maintenance).
Cygnus
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cygnus »

Just a quick update to my testing. I recently finished a 6-week trial trying all sorts of combinations in harvesting techiniques and i finally came to a conclusion: No matter if you harvest daily, weekly or any combination inbetween the production results will be random and range from a low 68% success to a high 96% but averaged around 84% to 85% during that time. I found no way to perdict which hive may fail on any given day. As far as wax is concerned, your rendering percentage is much higher closer to 88% but since it is subject to the hives 85% success rate it was probably designed to be that way to compensate. I plan to add the overall data later tonight for the 6 week test.

I will do a shorter 2-week test for 20 hives to see if the success rates increase, drops or stays the same.
Larsa
Legendary Scribe

Post by Larsa »

Last night I took off one beehive from 25 to 24 beehives now... and I had all 24 beehives producing the next cycle :dance It's amazing how one extra beehive can be a factor for having 5-6 beehives not producing. I now rather have only 24 beehives all producing (24/24) than 25 beehives with some failing (19/25). :nod:
Adrias
Legendary Scribe

Post by Adrias »

Larsa wrote:Last night I took off one beehive from 25 to 24 beehives now... and I had all 24 beehives producing the next cycle :dance It's amazing how one extra beehive can be a factor for having 5-6 beehives not producing. I now rather have only 24 beehives all producing (24/24) than 25 beehives with some failing (19/25). :nod:
yes, one sample size is completely valid
Cygnus
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cygnus »

yes, one sample size is completely valid
True, one sample size isn't something to be set in stone, however, I was checking consistently for over 8 weeks and I never had a perfect harvest so it DOES suggest something doesn't it?
Stanley Cleaner
Master Scribe

Post by Stanley Cleaner »

Good work guys!

Question... LARSA so your bees now produce at 100% everyday with out fail?

Also

looking forward to those numbers Cygnus on the 20 hives

I was about to start my bees all over again and this is good info :)
Thorgal
Legendary Scribe

Post by Thorgal »

If you guys are interested, i posted a hive care script in the code section. One click and your hives are taken care of!
Larsa
Legendary Scribe

Post by Larsa »

Stanley... the first cycle after I reduced the count of beehives to 24 it gave me 100% production. Today it was 20/24 (83%) which it's very acceptable to me compare to the amount of unproductive beehives I had when it was 25 beehives. I will keep testing for a week and if the results are worse than before I will let you guys know. Good luck!