Skill won't gain, read inside b4 posting.

Name says it all
KenGCE
Expert Scribe

Skill won't gain, read inside b4 posting.

Post by KenGCE »

so i'm training my provocation skill. at this very moment, it is "64.9," and it won't gain anymore.
i looked at a few websites for what animals i should be training on and i'm training on the correct ones, and i even tried the other ones suggested to see if maybe it was the one i was on. i switch target as soon as i notice a lack of gains, so that's not the problem.

my character cannot eat anymore, and my arrow for provo is facing up. i relogged twice, and tried mistvale (in-game player suggestion) and the skill just won't gain. **edit: i even pulled off all my gear to see if maybe it was capped via armor.
i play Kenzie on the shard.
Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Re: Skill won't gain, read inside b4 posting.

Post by Unbeliever »

Hi Kenzie. I've been playing bards on Ultima servers since 1999, long after the whole class became outdated and forum bard bashing almost died out. :) I think I can help you out.

If you really want to share all pertinent information, tell us specifically what monsters you're training on (as opposed to "ones from websites"), the exact type of instrument you're using, and how long you practiced the skill without seeing a gain. It's not absolutely necessary but it couldn't hurt in helping narrow the issue.

Going by what you said and what I know, I'd say there are 3 possibilities. One, your character's skill gain truly is bugged and needs fixing by staff intervention. I've never heard of that happening, but I won't rule out the possibility. Two, despite what the sites you checked say, you're either trying to provoke monsters that are far too easy or far too hard for your skill level. If your chance of provoking success is near 100%, you won't gain. The same is true if it's too close to 0%. To help avoid this issue, don't use exceptional or slayer instruments when training bard skills. They add big bonuses to your success chance and might make it too easy for your character. Three, you just haven't been at it long enough. At 64.9 it shouldn't really be very hard to gain skill in Provo off almost anything except the weakest monsters so picking the right monsters at this point isn't terribly difficult. With all skills, sometimes you'll randomly hit a rough patch where you won't get a gain for a long while and you just have to keep at it.

Whatever the problem you're having turns out to be, I hope you get it resolved quickly. :) Good luck!
in-game Thomas Covenant
KenGCE
Expert Scribe

Post by KenGCE »

you solved my problem! been training on giant beetles with an exceptional harp. i changed to regular drums and i've been gaining after every 1-2 attempts. thanks a bunch c:
KenGCE
Expert Scribe

Post by KenGCE »

would you be able to give me a list of creatures to bard with preferably 2-3 options per skill level... im at 68.1 and seem to have come to a stop again.
Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Post by Unbeliever »

I'm glad I was able to help :) For your new problems, check out this list - http://www.therodentstones.com/Patrick/ ... yList.html . I'd say anything on there within a -10/+20 range of your skill would be best for you to work Provo on. At your skill, I'd do scorpions and drakes. Once into the low to mid 70s I'd do drakes and wyverns. Once into the high 90's you can keep gaining off any high-end provokable mobs. Personally I'd try to set up macroable situations instead of working it manually. Something along the lines of placing two monsters on separate boats or in a house divided by a table wall so they can't hit each other.

By the way - there's no difference at all in the effectiveness of different instrument types, so use tamborines whenever possible. They only weigh 1 stone each and are just as good as standing harps. The only time you should consider using anything but a tamborine is when you find something really good (like Balron Damnation) on a lute, lap harp, or drum. Good luck and have fun!
in-game Thomas Covenant