razor

Name says it all
bcbunny
Journeyman Scribe

razor

Post by bcbunny »

I have been reading about razor and how many people seem to like it. When I try and download it my anti virus always tells me it is unsafe and deletes it. is there a way around this without disabling the anti virus?

I use Nortons, windows 8. I hate disabling it cause it is there for a reason, but I want to try razor, haha.

Is razor safe? What about UO steam, or easy uo, are they ok to use on this shard? Which is better?

thanks
tiggerjlk
Elder Scribe

Re: razor

Post by tiggerjlk »

I use both UO Stream and easy UO, they just seem to work better with less hassle for me.
I am on Windows 8 as well.
As for Norton, well, that is another story :)
Soylentgreen
Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Re: razor

Post by Unbeliever »

Hi there :) I'd say if you don't want to disable your AV even temporarily, you should at least change the settings on the actions it takes. I'm not familiar with Norton specifically but any AV I've ever used had settings for the action it should take when the program detects something - usually 'Automatically/Prompt" and something like "Delete/Repair/Move to xxxx/Do Nothing". You'll be able to leave it running and still intervene before Razor gets deleted.

From everything I hear, UO Steam has some advantages over Razor. Auto-looting capability, for example. It runs scripts and there are tons posted all over the internet for just about anything you could want. Alternately, you can write your own if you have the knowledge. The development team recently shut it down, so you'll have to search the internet a little bit to find a download. The last few versions seemed to create a lot of compatibility issues for a fair amount of people. They get a "not enough virtual memory" error and thus it doesn't work for everyone. If it doesn't work for you, I personally recommend not pulling your hair out and reconfiguring your computer seven times to try and get it working, but if you decide it's worth the effort there's a thread on these forums covering all the suggested workarounds.

Razor is fine, has been used by lots of people for many years. There are a lot of tutorials on the net that show exactly how to use it properly. It runs macros which you can also copy from somewhere on the internet (Help/Guide Sections on this forum and other Ultima server forums usually) or write yourself. Once you learn how to write macros, I feel that it's sufficient for all but the most complicated tasks. Fyi: it's incapable of automatically looting corpses and you can't use it for walking your character around (creates tremendous lag, forcing you to shut down).

EasyUO is a powerful tool that runs scripts which are readily available on this site and elsewhere. EasyUO isn't used to connect you to the client; it's a separate program, so you can use it with either Razor or Steam. And they're all allowed here. Good luck :)
in-game Thomas Covenant