Do you even Old School Bro?

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
showxxl
Adept Scribe

Do you even Old School Bro?

Post by showxxl »

Played Ultima 1 - 9 on an Apple IIe. Had to purchase a 300 Baud modem to play Ultima Online on release day... And Camping skill was a must have. :shock:
jradford
Master Scribe

Re: Do you even Old School Bro?

Post by jradford »

I played on a IIc, but very similar. Loved playing Ultima III and IV. I got frustrated at the end of III with the mantra and "keys" you had to find. I hacked into the hex code, found my character, and mapped out the section. Changed all the hex numbers to 01, 02, 03, 04, 05 and so on. Went back into the game and looked to see what items they represented. Went back and gave myself all the best equipment and the items I needed to finish the game. Ah, good times.
Berserker
Novice Scribe

Post by Berserker »

LOL first month playing UO, phone bill was £120 due to dial up and charged by the minute
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

showxxl wrote:Had to purchase a 300 Baud modem to play Ultima Online on release day.
:roll: You did not. 33.6kbps was well established by then and 56kbps was well into deployment.

If you'd played Habitat back on Quantum Link I might believe you had a 300 baud modem. Lucasfilm Games partnered with the predecessor of America Online. Was the first graphical MMORPG. Sad they never released it. If you've ever played Maniac Mansion or one of the Monkey Island games, imagine that with a vastly larger world and hundreds of players online and interacting. And it actually worked at 300 baud, though 1200 was standard.

-Wil
Unbeliever
Legendary Scribe

Post by Unbeliever »

My first game in this world was Ultima IV. Something was buggy with my disk so I couldn't complete the game. At a certain point you had to talk to someone in Cove to get something (Gate spell? So long ago it's hard to remember) but all the NPC townsfolk in Cove either replied with gibberish nonsense characters or attacked me. :/ I still have the spell compendium and map that came with the game.
in-game Thomas Covenant
SOL
Master Scribe

Post by SOL »

Yeah totally. My first game was Ultima IV. Then played V-IX as they came out, and went back for III via NES later.

I still relate to UO as if I am playing Ultima IV, searching for my quest party, mastering my virtues.
Nunja
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Nunja »

Played Ultima 7 but never completed it. I think I killed an important NPC... he probably had some cool glowing armor...

Tried to finish it again recently but failed...
(check out "Exult" if you want to give it a try)
showxxl
Adept Scribe

Post by showxxl »

My bad, the 300 buad modem was for playing Zork off a mainframe at my dad's office.... Now that's Old School!

Best conversation with UO Tech support,

Me: Just got killed by two players at the cross-roads and lost all my stuff. Is there anything I can do to get it back?
UOAdmin: How about gathering some friends together and go after them?

Most memorable experience,

Walked too close to a player run town and got jumped by the local militia. They took turns casting Paralyze on me while the others went through my bags and stole all everything, then they demanded my clothes or they would PK me and camp the corpse. It was a long walk back to town, naked. :shock:
Fiernocht
Legendary Scribe

Post by Fiernocht »

oh yeah Zork i had that for commodore 64 along with several of the might and magic games. I also loved playing commando and many of the d&d text based games they had out there.
I also had an IBM compatable and an Apple II I remember the 300 baud dumb modems with audio couplers for a roatery phone... much fun.
“No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.”
― C.G. Jung
Dragor The Fisher
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Dragor The Fisher »

Ultima 7 on Commodore 64 My best Friend me and my Dad played it in shifts around the clock until we beat it. :nod:

Ultima Online on GL 1-2 years after beta my uncle let me share his Tower until I could afford a small house in the pass north of Britain.