St. Patrick's March Quest 2015

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Re: St. Patrick's March Quest 2015

Post by Annachie »

Ideally, I would say that the spawn, and the spawn timers, should vary by the number of people in the event area.

It's easy to get swamped if there's nobody else there, or it hasn't been run for 15 minutes or so. But if a group goes in then it's light on. Too much programming probably.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Unfortunately, yes. There's no good way to do this, or we'd have been doing it for years now. Technically we could finagle a system that controls which spawner to turn on based on the number of players in an area, but it would be a spawner scanning a large range for players every x seconds. Those types of spawners cause a ton of lag and we try to avoid using them as much as possible.
Mystery Man
Elder Scribe

Post by Mystery Man »

Annachie wrote:Ideally, I would say that the spawn, and the spawn timers, should vary by the number of people in the event area.

It's easy to get swamped if there's nobody else there, or it hasn't been run for 15 minutes or so. But if a group goes in then it's light on. Too much programming probably.

Agreed
Anarchist
Passer by

Post by Anarchist »

Since everyone ignored moonsongs question I guess ill ask too. Is there an age minimum for this event?
Alex
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alex »

+Nyx wrote:- You must be 7 days account age to enter the event area.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Hypothetically speaking.

In this type of event where there is one gate in and out, and no real other way to leave, the gate could have a counter function. ie: the in gate increments a global variable, the out gate decrements it. Then have the spawners check the global variable count when it comes time for them to spawn. With different spawners set to different counts.
+Nyx wrote:Unfortunately, yes. There's no good way to do this, or we'd have been doing it for years now. Technically we could finagle a system that controls which spawner to turn on based on the number of players in an area, but it would be a spawner scanning a large range for players every x seconds. Those types of spawners cause a ton of lag and we try to avoid using them as much as possible.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

you know.. I gotta compliment ya annachie that is kinda what I was going to post and you beat me to it, but you could use a turnstile functionality like that.. it wouldn't matter what player entered or exited just that they did.. updating a %spawnerstrength variable either increasing or decrementing it..

very elegant idea
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Annachie wrote:Hypothetically speaking.

In this type of event where there is one gate in and out, and no real other way to leave, the gate could have a counter function. ie: the in gate increments a global variable, the out gate decrements it. Then have the spawners check the global variable count when it comes time for them to spawn. With different spawners set to different counts.
If we could have anything we want coded for the server whenever we want, sure. We've thought of lots of things like this. But that's just not something that is feasible in the foreseeable future.
wspawn
Journeyman Scribe

Post by wspawn »

why pet can't enter ? i see nowhere you tell about pet can be use in the aera.. and it's the only one way for me make dmg without died ..
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

We had problems last year with players taking their pets in there and running rampant. Kill stealing, trolling, etc. We can't be there to babysit the event 24/7 and if we don't see it happen or have proof of it happening, we can't punish the culprits. It's just easier to lessen the drama if pets are disallowed.
jess
Passer by

Post by jess »

yes i think it should spawn faster yesterday i ran all over for a while not able to even get one kill so i waited and it seemed like it didn't want to give me enimies. lol other wise i love it
Catti-brie
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Catti-brie »

Does a place exist where you can view the different items you can be awarded, like the Christmas event, which had the house full of all the items displayed? Thanks
Mystery Man
Elder Scribe

Post by Mystery Man »

Catti-brie wrote:Does a place exist where you can view the different items you can be awarded, like the Christmas event, which had the house full of all the items displayed? Thanks
Yes west of Falcor The Luck Dragon.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

+Nyx wrote:The rewards are on display in the building immediately to the West of the reward NPC.
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

+Nyx wrote:
Annachie wrote:Hypothetically speaking.

If we could have anything we want coded for the server whenever we want, sure. We've thought of lots of things like this. But that's just not something that is feasible in the foreseeable future.
Curse my obsessive nature. Instead of doing what I should be doing I've spent half a day thinking how to do this, and I haven't done any C programming in over 20 years lol

I've even not repeated the quest on the 4 hour mark! :shock:

The quest is good fun though. :)