Help with an Options Issue

Name says it all
Faeya
Apprentice Scribe

Help with an Options Issue

Post by Faeya »

Hello. I am a new player here. I can not use my Options in the game. I can not do anything with it without it crashing me. I have tried to set hot keys, Change chat colors. Turn off the music. But it just completely kicks me out of game. Can anyone help me with this issue please?

Thank you for your time..
JimTheDM
Elder Scribe

Re: Help with an Options Issue

Post by JimTheDM »

If you are using win 7 or 8, are you running UO and all associated programs in compatibility mode and as administrator? There is a post I put up under the help section of the forums on how to do this, its under razor help
Jamkul
Guild Master
Ghost Walkers Guild (GW)
Faeya
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Faeya »

I did follow the Help with Razor that was posted.. It is how I got the game to work for me. I can load the game and play. Just can not use the Options off my Paper doll in game.. I am running windows 7 And I did everything said to make it run. I am sorry I am at a loss at what I may have missed or need to do now.
timthree
Expert Scribe

Post by timthree »

If I were you, I would uninstall and do a clean install. I know it's a lot of time, but I suspect you've
used that much time already just troubleshooting. And if I were going to that much trouble, I would re download the
game first just to be sure. Sorry you're having all this trouble. :(
Let us know what finally works for you, in case someone else has this issue.
Faeya
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Faeya »

I did another complete clean install this morning... Followed al the instructions.. I am still having the issue.. This is the message I get when I am kicked out..

Could not create directory c:\Program Files\ultima online\desktop/faeya/excelsior/faeya :

I have no clue what this means or why it is trying to do it to desktop. I am hoping anyone can help me figure this out..
Thank you for your time
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

sounds to me like u dont have admin/write persmissions to the specified folder. each uo account has a subfolder named desktop which has a folder for each ch u play. its not actually trying to write to your desktop but to the desktop folder of your character which is where all your settings are stored for that character. when u installed uo u may have installed it to c:\users\.. and it is actually tryin to write the settings to c: program files. make sure where the install went. then make sure u have full permissions to read/write/modify that folder. whenever i do a install i make sure to click browse button and actually install to c program files instead of defaulting to whatever comes up. also make sure u have adminstrator rights when installing and not logged on just as a user. gl
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
Faeya
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Faeya »

I am in the correct the correct folder.. I did a clean install and made sure I did it as admin. Everything else works But trying to do anything in options. I am still getting that message and getting kicked out of game. What should I do next?

Could not create directory c:\Program Files\ultima online\desktop/faeya/excelsior/faeya :
Asmodean
Legendary Scribe

Post by Asmodean »

maybe try creating it under: C:\Ultima Online\

in your example, you can't mix the slashes.

c:\UO/Excelsior - won't work.
c:\UO\Excelsior - should work.
Cygnus
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cygnus »

Well, I got to the bottom of the issue, but don't quite know how to fix it yet. Faeya is using mom's computer and for some reason does not have permission to create new folders. Hence, no folders can be created in UO desktop. So, when Faeya clicks on options, nothing there to read, so the system crashes. Anyone know how to fix that? It is not a UO problem, but a computer permission problem.
Faeya
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Faeya »

Well Got he folder issue fixed.. But it still crashes me in Options.. So it is something else. I hope someone has some ideas..
Cygnus
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cygnus »

If you can create folders now, lets try to manually create the folders into your desktop folder and see what happens.
Try to create a folder with your account name , then inside that, create one called Excelsior, then inside that, create one with your characters name, then inside that place chardata.mul and uo.cfg files that you can copy from the Ultima Onlne folder. You may need a few more, but try those first and see what happens. I am pretty sure that since there is no character folder or even an account folder inside your UO desktop, that is why it crashes.
Faeya
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Faeya »

Ummm well.. I tried to do what you said.. But my Uo is missing the file chardata.mul . Now before ya say so. I did another completely clean instill even down to re downloading everything to see if that would correct it. Nope still no file. Is there away to just get this file to stick it in my folder?
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

win7 32 bit or 64 bit? UO should have installed in "program files (x86)" if it's 64 bit.
Faeya
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Faeya »

is 64.. and it did and according to the Razor info in Wiki you are supposed to move it.. to Program files
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Just for grins, try uninstalling and reinstalling but leave UO in the directory where it wants to live. Then when you run Razor, type in the directory where UO was installed instead of asking it to auto-detect. Still running everything as administrator of course. I don't know if this will fix your problem but it'll move you closer to my (working) configuration.