Annachie wrote:
Yoda wrote:I doubt that their aim is to be "wrathful"
Except +Khan of course :D
Soylentgreen
Controlled Chaos
Expert Scribe

Re: Open a barrel because of suxxor.

Post by Controlled Chaos »

While I fully agree OP's outburst was completely out of line, especially the sexist remarks, I would like to point out a few inconsistencies that make OP's basic situation understandably upsetting. The second post under "Help & Player Guides" is titled Voting Tricks. It's stickied to make it very prominent to new players. I will point out the post was made in 2007 and with that knowledge is completely out of context for the purposes of vote rewards, but how easy is it to overlook the time/date of a post?

The post itself contains the following:
+Colibri wrote: [. . .] But there's another trick. The votes are recorded per IP. Some have a static IP, and some have dynamic. Those with static really can vote every x days/hours, but if you have a dynamic IP, all you need to do is wait for it to change, and you can vote again.

If you don't know if you have static or dynamic IP, here's how you can find out. Go to http://whatismyip.com/, and write down the IP number it shows you. If you have a dynamic IP, your ISP will give you a new IP the next time you connect, or automatically every 12/24/48 hours. So just re-check after you reconnect or the next day, and if the number is different, that means you have a dynamic IP address.

It also works if you have access to multiple IP addresses - for example if you can check internet from work/school, or if you go to a cybercafe, you can vote from there.

But anyway, there might certain conditions for voting we don't know, they might change, that's why the best way of getting votes up is just by voting as frequently as possible.
Then, nearly two and a half years later, +C himself confirms his support of voting from multiple IP's.
+Colibri wrote: [. . .] I meant for example, if you have a computer at work, you can vote from there too. But not if you have an option of changing your IP every 10 minutes to vote 20 times a day, that would be a bad thing.
While I understand +C isn't condoning the the vote reward process be abused (nor am I), the message here is easy to misinterpret. From at least 2007-2010 he voices publicly that it's okay to vote two or maybe three times a day (stickied in the New Player subforum even), but not if you use Proxy IPs or a rapidly resetting dynamic IP address. And the post within the Excelsior Daily that you get brought to from the voting reward Link Stone in game does not seem to have a voice on if this practice is still acceptable or not.

I believe this is one of the points the OP was trying to make but let his anger the get better of him in this situation. Despite taking things too far by multi-accounting and having angry outbursts on the forum, I can at least sympathize with OP's basic misunderstanding.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Something that happened 5+ years ago being different than it is today isn't an 'inconsistency', because an inconsistency relies on 2 different things happening/being stated at the same time. There were never any rewards for voting before last year, and the OP has been here longer than that, so he was here when the voting rewards were first introduced and announced as a new thing. +C also explained both in-game and on the forums that if the voting reward system was abused it would be changed.

That said, I'm going to unsticky the ancient thread since it has no bearing on the shard today.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Just to clarify, I took the ED mainly because Reskal didn't vote as intended. There's a red book next to the vote reward stone, that shows you the initial post about voting rewards, and that it we all need to vote on all of them in order for this to hold up (I expected there would be at least a few who wouldn't stick to the rules).
Overall, when I looked through the voting numbers in the past, there were a few with 35-45 votes (in a month) and I've left that as is. But there were a few with let's say 100 votes (100ed collected in a month) and I've taken some of them away. But that was before i had extra data where I could check who was voting on all the sites.

Controlled Chaos has a point there. I still think that it's OK to vote from your house and from work.

As mentioned in the initial voting post, if the all-sites turnout dropped (and it did, to probably 50%), I would change the system. I could just reduce the reward, but I think it's more fair to reward the true voters and penalize those who aren't using the system as intended - and this is something I was able to do since I got the extra data with which I could verify this.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)