Some new player questions..!

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
Olyvar
Apprentice Scribe

Some new player questions..!

Post by Olyvar »

So I have spent the last couple of days searching the forum and the wiki and have found myself more confused than when I started. Could anyone be so kind as to help clarify some things for me?

Leveling weapons: what point is there to leveling an artifact when the XP earned is cut in half? Everything I've read seems to indicate that leveling a Horselord or Swords of Prosperity or even Axe of the Heavens is just a terrible idea.

Claim options: is there any command that allows us to specify what items we want to claim when claiming a corpse?

Also, can anyone recommend new player friendly vendors? My wife and I have been playing for a few days now and feel comfortable enough to try buying some better gear (we already have some arties that we bought) and have only found super high-priced platinum and ethereal armor that is either in sets or like 25k each.

Thank you guys and thank you for the awesome server!
[Glyph]
Legendary Scribe

Re: Some new player questions..!

Post by [Glyph] »

You level an artie AFTER you remove the artie tag (cost 200 ed i believe), or that could just be spending the points. I have not done this yet so you will have to get the exact from someone who has. Other than that, ssome people do level the relayer the Swords. Read about relayers on Forums to get even more confused.

Claiming, you get cold, arrows/ bolts, fertlie dirt and bandies with [claim. [Claimall gets everything, there is not a way to specify unless you use Razor or EasyUO.

There are quite a few vendors that sell beginers gear. Try Brit Fair Trade or Shadow Moon Vendors. Both on world tele under shops. Both guilds have helped me out in the past. Dont forget to try the donation room for young players in Town Center. Go in the blue portal just south of where you started. Often there is good gear to be had for free as long as you still have young status.

For any questions in game type [c to speak in world chat. Most everyone is very helpful, however keep reading the wiki as you will get a LOT of good info here.

Have fun.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Olyvar wrote:Leveling weapons: what point is there to leveling an artifact when the XP earned is cut in half? Everything I've read seems to indicate that leveling a Horselord or Swords of Prosperity or even Axe of the Heavens is just a terrible idea.
Horselords and Swords of Prosperity are not considered artifacts. Only items which display an "artifact rarity" tag when you mouse over them are considered artifacts.

The artifact rarity tag can be removed with a weapon type change deed. After that they level like ordinary looted weapons.
Olyvar wrote:Claim options: is there any command that allows us to specify what items we want to claim when claiming a corpse?
No, but you can use EasyUO and other scripting engines to build any auto-looter you desire. They are allowed here.
Olyvar wrote:Also, can anyone recommend new player friendly vendors?
Check out my animal vendors at World Teleporter -> Public Moongates -> Britain. Until you get geared up towards 220 dex (see the wiki) I recommend putting together a nice pack of pets to do your killing for you. :)

You can also find which vendors have the items you want via http://vendors.uoex.net/

Regards,
Wil
Tredin
Elder Scribe

Post by Tredin »

Feel free to [pm Tredin with any questions you may have. I am always online which isn't to say I am always here. I actually work quite a bit and am usually not here but as long as you aren't asking me for hand outs I tend to be very generous and try to be as detailed and as unbiased as possible with the knowledge I pass on.
Styx
Adept Scribe

Post by Styx »

Finding a good weapon/armour piece worthy of a Relayer is quite difficult.

People level artifacts as the double cost abilities can be removed with a weapon change deed. You can level an artifact tagged item to level 100 without spending points, then when you change weapon deed it will lose it's artifact tag meaning it has the same amount of points to effectively spend as a looted weapon.

Bonecrushers are a valued relayer as they have +10 str, where normal weapons are capped at +8.

Again due to relayers, people don't rate stats you can acquire by armour on weapons. So weapons should strictly be +stats, +chance on hit effects, +hit area effects, +leech effects, HLA/HLD.

Where as armour, thanks to relayers, can max out all the other stats for you.

Most people have 2 types of weapons also, 1 for single target damage with armour pierce/concussion shot with hit lightning/fireball ect,
and an aoe clearing weapon with all hit area effects and whirlwind (blaze of death is common here).

Before rushing down the ever so popular dex route, you may want to take a look at taming. It will help you clear a lot of content with the use of pets =)

Give me a shout ingame if you need any other info. - Poulton.
In game name : Poulton (or Voot for you vets)
Tredin
Elder Scribe

Post by Tredin »

Styx wrote: So weapons should strictly be +stats.
A lot of us don't bother with anything other than STR and Dex as a stat on a leveled weapon intended for staying a weapon as opposed to a relayer. Most only bother with STR and some don't even bother with that depending on the limitations of a weapons spendable points. I would recommend if you are leveling a weapon to stay as a weapon to spend points on the stats last so the weapons hits are where you want them first.
Styx wrote: Most people have 2 types of weapons also, 1 for single target damage with armour pierce/concussion shot with hit lightning/fireball ect, and an aoe clearing weapon with all hit area effects and whirlwind (blaze of death is common here).
That's assuming you prefer ranged to melee. Generally when people prefer melee they want either crushing blow or double strike and whirlwind. Crushing blow is generally better if you have very high STR or less in the way of weapon hits and very low spell damage increase. Double Strike is generally better if you have very high spell damage increase and lots of spell hits (3x50 or better usually) because with two hits per swing you have the chance for each spell hit to hit twice.
Styx wrote: Before rushing down the ever so popular dex route, you may want to take a look at taming. It will help you clear a lot of content with the use of pets =).
I've disagreed with Poulton more than a few times in [C but I couldn't agree more with this statement. Being a tamer will teach you things that rushing dex will not. I highly recommend everyone work as a pet class as a newer player. I am well past the point that I need pets to kill much of anything. That being said I still pull my pets out from time to time to put something down extra quick. Knowing how to effectively control a your pack and how to use them to your advantage in ways other than just to kill things can be a useful skill when applied to other skills later in your UOEX life.