FREE GRIZZLY ADAMS

Name says it all
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Re: FREE GRIZZLY ADAMS

Post by Miranda Ventrata »

This is about the subject of PMs, not about anyone specific. While i do agree that PMs shouldn't be directly punished without cause no matter the subject matter even if it's something that would get you in trouble in WC. I think that players have the right to not be subjected to things they don't want to be. If 2 people want to talk about something considered taboo in WC via PM, fine, but if one doesn't then it IS harrassment, and should be punished.
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Miranda Ventrata wrote:This is about the subject of PMs, not about anyone specific. While i do agree that PMs shouldn't be directly punished without cause no matter the subject matter even if it's something that would get you in trouble in WC. I think that players have the right to not be subjected to things they don't want to be. If 2 people want to talk about something considered taboo in WC via PM, fine, but if one doesn't then it IS harrassment, and should be punished.
This is already how it works. There are some exceptions, for example activities that are illegal in rl and which could cause +C to be held liable if left unchecked and authorities were later involved(i.e.: soliciting drug sales, soliciting a minor, and so on). We keep an eye out for that kind of thing, and it has happened a few times in my years here.

Also keep in mind that most chat on the shard goes completely unnoticed by us, however if someone is a problem player, they get checked up on more actively. If someone pages about it, we look into it. If someone pages, even you, about something that requires us to look at logs, then we're actively looking at it to find the necessary information. Quite a lot of chat-based violations are discovered in this way.
+Veritas
Administrator

Post by +Veritas »

I change my mind...

So, once again, I feel the need to explain some things. First, we do not volunteer our time to actively search for people breaking rules. If that was my forte, I would be in law enforcement. If someone thinks +Colibri has a grudge against a player, then why didn't he just outright ban him/her? When we punish a player in violation of the codex, we have to explain ourselves to Colibri as much as each other staff member. There is a process, it is not arbitrary.

Private speech is 99.999999999% left alone on this shard. However, there are some cases where it is not. These include but are not limited to: player harassment, staff harassment (gossip of staff identities and lying about our actions), sexual solicitation of a minor (happened a long time ago and was dealt with swiftly), and advertisement of other shards. Sometimes, our intervention is necessary if a conversation occurs in private mediums that include the presence of non-consenting individuals (Example: Talking in guild chat about something that is explicit when all members are not consenting). There were some cases where a player was PMing players trying to convert them to Christianity. We addressed this, as it was not consensual. There are other cases where two people were having cyber sex in PMs. Didn't care...They were consenting to that "conversation", so there was no need.

Specific to this case, there are elements being investigated by +Colibri that go beyond the PM being focused on.

+V
-{Excelsior Shard Administrator, and Death Event Extraordinaire}-

May the BODs be ever in your favor!
Aryck
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Aryck »

I am not sure if you misunderstood me or not but to be clear I didn't mean to imply +Colibri had a grudge, I meant the former guild master.
Zalia
Legendary Scribe

Post by Zalia »

Sounds like someone needs a nap.
Belken
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Belken »

Since my name was thrown into this wonderful issue, let me say for the record that the rules for the server are clear. At no time was any discussion of drugs mentioned. Yes we all joke about it but never in open chat, usually on Skype. If anyone knows me at all on this server. I never had and never will use drug. kind of difficult since i'm still in the U.S. Army (18 years). I see no reason to defend myself or anyone else in the guild but when my name and those of fellow guildies are dropped without proof I felt it was necessary to say something.

He was warned numerous times regarding his speech in open chat and had his (Grizzlies) world chat banned more than once. I appreciate the patience the GM's had in this matter and it was only a matter of time before the GL, after repeated warnings about his speech in guild chat and world chat, had enough and removed him from the guild.

Everyone in the guild knows that there are children that play on this server and try and make it as enjoyable as possible for all members of the guild including the children (12, 13, 15) to play without any drama.

As a player, one should know when to close the mouth before inserting both feet. Thank you GM's for handling this with as much patience as possible. Some people just can't be happy without having it their way.

The codex (shard rules)
2. Language:
a. Keep chat clean - no cussing, arguing, harassing, adult material/situations, etc.
b. No racial/religious/national/ethnical slurs are tolerated. We do not allow promotion of drug abuse.
c. Guild chat and private messages are not monitored - rules there are not being enforced on a regular basis - however, statements can be taken as harassment and reported to staff.
3. Staff: Our ranks are (lowest to highest): Counselor, Game Master, Seer, Administrator.
a. Respect other players and staff members at all times.
b. What staff members say is to be taken seriously and without question.
c. If you cannot resolve a problem with one staff member, you may request to speak with a higher rank staff.
d. Should you not reach a resolution with any staff member, contact the Coordinating Administrator. The decision from them is final.
6. Behavior, attitude towards other players
c. No drama. Accept the things you cannot change. If you are in an unresolvable conflict, be the smart one and walk away. Keep the private problems out of public chats, send a private message instead.
d. If you are in a situation with another player that won't go away by itself, don't go make it worse for yourself by doing something against the rules. Let the staff know, we have experience with this.

Again Thank you for Tolerance and Patience in this matter

Belken
Annachie
Elysium Beta Tester

Post by Annachie »

Come on +V, one of you does carry a staff of smiting. :lool:
Character name: Ebony
mattwaldram
Elder Scribe

Post by mattwaldram »

It's important to note that I just nearly choked on a mouthful of coffee at +V's first post in this thread. Well played, sir.
-- In-game: Oslington Weasel
Sailor Jerry
Elder Scribe

Post by Sailor Jerry »

This thread is better than Super bowl 50!

Eye of the Amin FTW!

with "someone needs a nap" a close second.

I blew good rum out me noses holes! :lool:

The entire show... Priceless!
Full throttle, half-bottle, fun lovin, script huggin gamer nerd...
a Napa Valley 1 Percenter
jimbo.marshall
Master Scribe

Post by jimbo.marshall »

griz 1.jpg
griz 1.jpg (10.8 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
griz 2.jpg
griz 2.jpg (10.52 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
And then there's that...
Dirk Sanchez