Housing placement issue

Name says it all
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Re: Housing placement issue

Post by Wil »

Also, consider quality over size. As of this moment there's an open plot big enough for a small house on the same screen as the Trinsic public moongate and another one screen away from the Moonglow public moongate.
Iago Venport
Elder Scribe

Post by Iago Venport »

As a long time player on the shard (and someone with really WAY too many house slots) I can attest that there are a lot of places to place 18x18s and, if lucky you can stumble across a spot that will fit a keep...especially in malas. Also, yes spots are snatched up so guilds/people can build bigger houses...it's how my guild took over half of luna and the entire arena area...just takes time. In any event i'm sorry you're running into issues finding a good place. =/

-Iago
Miranda Ventrata
Elder Scribe

Post by Miranda Ventrata »

Like everything in this game, it takes time. I may suggest renting a place if you really need the space for storage. Houses drop all the time, so be patient and you will eventually find one, and when you do, keep watching your area, for more to drop. Then you can expand.
dreamstalker
Legendary Scribe

Post by dreamstalker »

i have spent years (although u cant tell by lookin) collectin houses tradin up from 3 med to 2 large to a castle. i also run and run and run lookin for house spots to place 1 of the big 3. also have some friends that holler (yes i have a friend or 2 lol) if they run across somethin i may be interested in. but for someone pretty much to jump in n say it shouldnt be this way it should be this way is asinine. hey gm's since im here why dont u take all the stuff others have worked for away from them and give it to those of us that would use it in a much more appropriate and useful way? oh an btw i have been on private servers since christ was a corporal and never seen it done this way. Ummmm where are those private servers now and why is "this server" so dang popular. btw i dont know bout dozens but i do know a few keep spots and quite a few 18x18 spots still available just run around lookin or pay one of us that does to take u to them. its all part of the economy here on excelsior that keeps us rolling along.
btw extra house slots cost 400 ed each and at about 50k gold per ed it can be a lil bit expensive. some of us collect edibles, some collect lil covered orc helms( one of my favs) and some collect houses (my all time fav).
ive sent u a pm in game just holler and let me know if u want the spot spot is free if u want then u can place what u want
I keep a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin! just cause you aint paranoid doesnt mean they aint after you
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by GreenBar »

Ysara wrote:@GreenBar So would you be willing to part with any of that knowledge or are you saying that I will have to pay extra for it?
Have a nice, player placed, side by side, pair of 18x18 houses. They're right next Junobo's museum. Available for the low price of 1.5 mill gp. (Only ~1 mill after you factor the placement costs.) That's the cheapest I've ever sold such a location. Other side by sides have gone for up to 26 mill gp with an average in the 3-5 mill range.
Ysara
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ysara »

@Dreamstalker Those private servers are actually still around. I'm just playing on this one because I used to play when it was first started. Its the second server that I played on. Brings back some memories for me of when I was first playing UO. :) There are a lot of popular servers now that we can choose from. UO is not dead thank goodness. Anyway, that's why this issue was so frustrating for me. And one thing to clear up, I didn't say take away the houses that are built, just the ones that are taking up space and not being used. (Not the deco houses as these can be moved to an admin facet.)

Anyway, I didn't have this issue before when only one house was allowed but thank you Dreamstalker for helping me find a place. I now don't have to look at the snow anymore. Yay! rotfl

@Miranda Ventrata, Octavious Thorn, and Iago Venport Thank you for the encouraging words. It really helps to take away the frustration.

@Greenbar Thank you for the offer but no thanks. It's a shame that people are doing what you are doing. Now if you were to decorate them or something like I have heard some of the players do then it would be different. We would be getting our money's worth. That would be a beautiful thing.

@everyone who PMed in-game. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being willing to help. Even though I had this little hiccup in my game having people that are willing to help and supportive makes things a lot better! Thank you for all taking your precious time to help me! I so very much appreciate it!

I will see you all in-game I hope! So stay safe, happy hunting, and I hope you get lotsa lootzes!
GreenBar
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by GreenBar »

Ysara wrote:@Greenbar Thank you for the offer but no thanks. It's a shame that people are doing what you are doing. Now if you were to decorate them or something...
You're welcome but after such a response it and all future offers are closed to you. A good hunter can earn 500k gp or more worth of loot per hour on UOEX. It took me a lot more than 2 hours effort to find that side by side. Shame on you for saying I should feel bad about asking to be compensated for my time and effort. Shame on you for implying that since I don't share your interest in decorating houses my game play is a disgrace to the shard. Good day sir.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

Ysara, I don't often suggest this, but please and I mean this kindly.

there is a community of players who like the shard the way it is just fine, who have no problems with the economics of the shard, and players generating income etc. this won't change because you whine really loud, and talk about how unfair and wrong everything is on an established shard with an established playerbase

if this doesn't agree with you, there are plenty of things you could do other than argue with players who have enjoyed the shard as it stands for YEARS. one of which is logout, in fact Id expect you'd be happiest doing this.

Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

To add something important, this shard has been here for years because newbies are welcome and showing them the door at the first disagreement isn't leading to a bright future.

However, Yoda's message is very true: trading is a major part of this game & our shard, and if land has a supply-demand thing to it, and someone finds good spots - why not sell them. As long as the playing field is level - equal to all players. In this case, fortunately anyone can go running around and look for spots that would fit an 18x18 or bigger.

I think these housing issues originate still from the time when houses weren't dropping for about a year, land got very scarce and whoever had the chance to place a big house, didn't want to just let it go. And it would also be unfair to say that any undecorated house that is just taking up space should be demolished, those houses were all placed after a lot of searching or waiting the neighbours to drop. The idea that it's scarce still remained (even though houses drop on a regular basis now), so somehow house slots are still rare.

We plan to open another housing facet, and perhaps even make instanced housing land (where a player or a guild can rent a huge area that can fit 30 houses).
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

and to be fair I come across as madly harsh sometimes especially in text. it was more.

If its currently frustrating you to this level, go watch bio dome, heck make it a pauly shore film fest, feel better approach it fresh find 3 options for housing, more than show him the door =) (or at least that was my meaning)

and don't underestimate pauly shore... good stupid laughs in this world should be seen as opportunities.

Ysara
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ysara »

@GreenBar If you feel good about what you are doing then what I say shouldn't bother you at all. Your offer is not something I consider fair. 1 mill is really steep for a new player. I am fine with all offers being closed to me. So good luck with your business. We can just agree that we disagree and leave it at that. :)

@Colibri The playing field is not exactly level. The new players haven't had years to sit on plots so that they can offer them for millions. This is the frustrating part about it. I would like to spend my time helping people and not running around for hours looking for housing because people are making a market from it.

@Yoda All I can say to you is -Wow, I didn't know that having an opinion was whining. Just because my opinion differs from your's, doesn't mean that I am whining. I could say that your opinion is bashing and insulting but I won't say that cause you are allowed to have your own opinion. Having a problem with someone that has a differing opinion though usually comes from someone that is insecure and immature. I am not saying that you are but it's something that you might think about. I started my original message because of my frustration in feeling that the housing system on the server is not helping the new players out. I am definitely not arguing with anyone. I show respect towards others because we are all human beings, unique in our own ways and we deserve basic respect from each other. (I did see your retraction about sounding harsh even though it came after a certain person commented on not showing new players the door.) lol

I hope that no one else thinks that I am arguing because I am definitely not. I would just really really hope that things can change housing wise for the new players. Like my suggestion of making a special area for people to have their deco houses in. Then that way we can free up more land for everyone. Though I hope that a lot of the new players get it if that does happen.

There was a new player in chat today frustrated because she couldn't place a small house. She said she finally found a spot but then couldn't get it to work. So I know that I am not alone in this.
Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Post by Yoda »

yes and it was sincere, I wasn't trying to bash you or suggest half of what you intimated I was.

I merely was saying have a break when you get frustrated.

I am not continuing this, that was the intent I got from coli's message , and its the intent you should get from it.

I would like to for your benefit tell you about this
I would just really really hope that things can change housing wise for the new players. Like my suggestion of making a special area for people to have their deco houses in. Then that way we can free up more land for everyone. Though I hope that a lot of the new players get it if that does happen.

There was a new player in chat today frustrated because she couldn't place a small house. She said she finally found a spot but then couldn't get it to work. So I know that I am not alone in this.
strangely various things have been tried on this server in its six year lifespan, in fact at one point there was a quest that gave new players a house deed as a reward. On paper this idea sounded grand, but what ended up happening was a vast surplus of placed "free deed" houses. eventually as they were caught by the house drop system they were gradually swept away.

So from your perspective giving more options for housing making it easier to place houses for new players etc, sounds like an excellent idea. It truly just has the opposite impact, the ease of obtaining the house actually caused quick boredom more than long term player retention.

In fact it may come as a surprise to you, although logically it shouldn't that many of the blank 18x18 houses you see, and seem to take offense to are in fact owned by new players who like you were looking for houses, and succeeded, subsequently getting bored, and playing something else. So with all due respect, making it easier for a new player to obtain a house will not solve any problems.
AKAWilbur
Passer by

Post by AKAWilbur »

I've been here a little over a year now, and when I first started I didn't know where to look for a housing spot. My easy solution, I rented an apartment in Trinsic for storage space until I found a spot I liked for my first house. It's not a perfect solution, but it takes care of the necessities of storage space until you can find the perfect plot to build on. :nod:
Absynthe Silvis
Ysara
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ysara »

@Yoda I have no clue why you think that I said to give new players a free house? I suggested that spots be cleared from people that are just hoarding them. (Not talking about the ones used for deco contests.) I am referring to people that have had these spots for months/years and not done anything with them. This would give the new players that have the money a chance for a spot to place their house without as much hassle as there is now. I also suggested making a facet, (I think it's called Green Acres), available for deco contest houses. Also to put a rule that houses should be built within a certain amount of time, outside of deco contest only houses, if you are going to take a castle, tower, 18 x 18 or any other large spot. This would make the server a beautiful place I think. I do like the housing gate system because I can run around and see all the different ideas that people come up with when building houses and decorating. It's the best part of UO in showing off people's creativity. Having all the empty plots around to me looks like a lot of players not playing. A lot of housing just waiting for IDOC, but this is just my opinion. I never said anyone had to agree with it or with the SUGGESTIONS I've made. I think that these changes would have made a lot less frustration for me and also help the other players that have been messaging in chat that they can't find a spot to place a house.

And for the people you mentioned that got bored and are playing something else, I made another suggestion that the accounts be deleted after 3 months of inactivity. People that want to keep their accounts have no problem logging in to "refresh" them. The ones that are not able to log in can message on the forum that they will be away and not logging in if they want to keep their accounts. IMO, I think that someone that hasn't logged in for a month and not said a word to anyone, is not coming back, so 3 months would still be giving them a grace period.

Anyway Yoda, I didn't want you to think that I was ignoring you. I do know that you meant to say, in your own way, was for me to take a break since I was frustrated, but to me that's giving up. This is why I asked for help instead. People deal with issues in different ways. When I encounter someone that is frustrated about something, I would provide as much help as possible to them. And if I couldn't help them then I would try to get them to someone that could, but that's just me. Thank you for your advice, but if that was my way of dealing with frustration believe me I would have taken a break on my own. lol

@AKAWilbur Thank you for your rental suggestion also, but I was able to find an awesome spot. I guess I need to edit my original post to let people know that I have found a spot now. They don't seem to be reading through all the of the messages because I do state that I was able to find a spot with the help of the lovely Dreamstalker. She has been awesome!
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

This thread hasn't really been going anywhere productive for awhile now, and it seems like everyone's just ignoring +C's stated plans for housing, so I'm closing it.