Tailoring revamp

Yoda
Legendary Scribe

Re: Tailoring revamp

Post by Yoda »

thats I think what pheobe was trying to say about them defaulting to off, its the backwards of normal use case in both instances.

most of the time marking and color is a given to be on, but not marking or coloring, would be the outlier case.
Guildmaster: JDI - Est 2011
Zalia
Elder Scribe

Post by Zalia »

It has made it easier to fill BODs. I'm looking forward to the Carpentry system being overhauled too. :)
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

Wil wrote:Howdy,

Suppose:

In the top box, put the word "Filter:" beside the box. Then it'd be obvious what it does.

Also, a filter would be much more useful in conjunction with an "All" category.

In the list, use the standard down-swinging right-arrow button that every other gump in the system uses to mean "do something" to the right of the text and remove the hammer/scroll icon. That would make the UI consistent with the rest of the game's UI which goes a long way towards helping the user understand what to do. If it makes the pretty scroll look bad then move the left edge of the scroll to the right and put the stack of buttons out in the gray area. Still mentally connected.

When the blue button is clicked, output the text "quantity to make set to XXX." Feedback lets the user know what happened as a result of an experimental click.

Regards,
Wil
Wil wrote:Or use the radio buttons from the Player->Options->Pop-up-help gump to select which item to tailor and then a do-something right-arrow beside amount to craft to initiate crafting, obviating the need for a set-quantity button altogether.
Agree on all counts. It is exceedingly important, IMO, for any new gumps we make to be intuitive and in-line with the other gumps in the game in terms of usage. It doesn't matter too much if they're different colored gumps and whatnot, but having the buttons mean the same thing they mean in every other area of the game, and making it all flow in a similar fashion, as well as providing sysmessage feedback in terms of what you're doing and how much of it- that's hugely important for maintaining player interest. If we implement new systems that are too different and too counter-intuitive to use, players mostly won't use them, and it's upsetting to them. But if we make gumps that "feel" close enough to other gumps for similar systems, then folks don't feel as confused and discouraged, and they're more open to giving the changes a fair shot.

So much of our game is nostalgia (as I said earlier in the thread); and we as staff have to work hard to not only protect the aspects of the game that give those warm fuzzy nostalgia feelings to the player, but to expound upon them. I'm hoping that we can see some of these UI changes implemented, to make the new crafting gumps more user-friendly (and help get some of that crafting nostalgia back for our shardlings).

Edit: forgot to add that I've been told that on all the new crafting menus, if you accidentally take a step while crafting it stops you and you have to start over. IMO it should only stop your crafting process if you move further than about 3 tiles from the anvil/loom/whatever. That way if you're pm'ing/world chatting/cat walks on the keyboard and you accidentally move a tile or two, it doesn't force you to start your project over.
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

Don't know how to get loom to work. Thread stuff is on menu, skips loom. Yarn balls don't work on loom at all. BUT Arden just a few bug outs that are great. I may be able to do this
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

you can! :dance
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

Thx! I can use the loom on yarn now? Or I can eventually enjoy this again?
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

My bad, I should've been more specific. I was encouraging you, you said you may be able to do this, and I was saying you definitely can get the hang of it :)
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

I got the hang of it now. I just want it fun again. I know y'all will get the bugs out
+Nyx
Administrator

Post by +Nyx »

I think there are a few more fixes still coming, so once those go in give it a shot and see how it feels for you, then let us know
Tufi
Master Scribe

Post by Tufi »

You and Arden KNOW I will. Seeing these posts, PLEASE be attentive to carp and smithing. Get a staff member who can play to road test it!
Octavius Thorn
Elder Scribe

Post by Octavius Thorn »

Am I really the only one who has brought up new craftables and wearables for tailoring in the tailoring threads? Everyone is all yarnball drama and all? :lool:
Ambient
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ambient »

I can't repair my 'Arms of Tactical Excellence' with tailoring in new system. How do I repair my arms now?
-Courser
Courser the Wayward, of NRG (in game).
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Ambient wrote:I can't repair my 'Arms of Tactical Excellence' with tailoring in new system. How do I repair my arms now?
-Courser
Blacksmithy
Ambient
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ambient »

I also tried it in Blacksmithy... I thought maybe they had changed that too. Before the revamp I was able to repair it with tailoring...and without a repair deed because I've GM'd it.
Courser the Wayward, of NRG (in game).
silverwolf
Apprentice Scribe

new tailor repair deed system

Post by silverwolf »

Could i please get a gm's explanation on what they have done to tailor repair deeds now..You can made a repair deed but it does not use up any leather.So now you have a deed but when you go to a tailor npc to use it,you are now required to have a piece of leather also in your pack to use the deed..This just screws up ppl selling or buying repair deeds from vendors now..Field repair kits using 100 type of leather for it is just crazy..a field repair kit for ethy gear now costs 100 ethy leather to make..100 ethy leather to buy on exex for instance costs 17k lol...cheaper to make brand new gear made from ethy