Lockpicking Changes

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Requiem
Legendary Scribe

Lockpicking Changes

Post by +Requiem »

Hi everyone,

It's been a bit since lockpicking was updated, and I wanted to give you some information about those changes. It hasn't happened sooner, because reasons. Sorry for the delay, but this is just some basic information. I tried to update the wiki, and failed miserably so I'm going to start here, so at least the information is available. I'll play around with the wiki at a later date, unless one of our wiki scribes wants to make this data look nice on the wiki.

Fail/Success Text
There are now many differences for failure or success, with some versions being very rare to even see. It makes it a little more engaging and interactive when you see one of these special messages upon opening a lock, or failing to do so. I won't spoil the surprise for you on those!

Minimum Skill required to attempt a lock

Iron 0
Dull Copper 10
Shadow Iron 20
Copper 30
Bronze 40
Gold 50
Agapite 60
Verite 70
Valorite 80
Blaze 90
Ice 100
Toxic 110
Electrum 120
Platinum 130

Different lockpicks will give you different results. Using a higher level lockpick will give you a bonus to succeed, whereas using a lesser lockpick will make it more difficult.

picking a chest that has already been picked will not give gains

Skill gain
up to 30 skill, you will gain .2 per success
up to 60 skill, you will gain 0.1 + 0.1(based on fail chance) per success
up to 90 skill you will gain .1 per success
90 and beyond, you gain based on fail chance, per success

(you will not gain on a failed attempt)

Each Treasure Map chest will now have varying locks from bronze to electrum

Every pick attempt has a chance to break the lockpick. Especially if you are using lower quality lockpicks than the locks.

Hope this clears it up a bit and helps!
randyj
Journeyman Scribe

Re: Lockpicking Changes

Post by randyj »

picking a chest that has already been picked will not give gains
So... I have a set of leveled chests that I made and used to train, those cannot be used to gain anymore?
A Nugget a day keeps the doctors away.
In game name : Nugget
Alamiester
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alamiester »

nice! ive been wondering about the chest types. im guessing everything over blaze is dropped from paragons or maybe in the harder dungeon area. i havnt seen any of them in the trammel dungeons.

also am i right to assume that the disarm trap skill gains follow the same pattern as lockpicking. ive been having a heck of a time trying to gain on that.
+Arden
Elder Scribe

Post by +Arden »

Also an important thing to note:

Your chances of picking a lock do not start at 0% but can be negative, meaning the that if you cant lockpick a chest try using a lockpick with a better material since each material grade gives +5% success chance for every level that is higher than the lock, also it works the other way around so if youre having trouble finding locks that can skill you up use a lockpick with a worse material level that reduces your chance of success, also when doig the calculations for gaining skill based on fail chance the system uses the greater of the fail chances (your skill or your skill+/-lockpick bonus) so the chance to gain is always the highest possible
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

Added the changes to the Wiki here http://www.uoex.net/wiki/Skill_Guides#Lockpicking

I realize now that the table formatting doesn't match the rest of the tables on this page, so I will tide that up later!
In game name: Abarai
fixxer1963
Legendary Scribe

Post by fixxer1963 »

I think I get this...
But just to clarify: If you have a shadow iron lock, and you use a regular iron pick, you are effectively lowering your skill ten points... thus getting skill gains at that level.
Say your skill is 31, in this scenario, your effective skill would be 21.
That about sum it up?
Hawke Armstrong/FiXXer
+Arden
Elder Scribe

Post by +Arden »

fixxer1963 wrote:I think I get this...
But just to clarify: If you have a shadow iron lock, and you use a regular iron pick, you are effectively lowering your skill ten points... thus getting skill gains at that level.
Say your skill is 31, in this scenario, your effective skill would be 21.
That about sum it up?
Pretty much this, except it uses success chance which is your skill already calculated and then adds the pick modifier

there are still some things we are adjusting in terms of lock difficulty, since the old system did not have enough chests to accommodate the new lock system, but if we take a bronze lock for example...

the success chance you need to start opening it is 40 and you also need a bronze lockpick that will give you a 0% chance of success, at 50 skill that will be 100% chance, and at 45 that will be 50%

so lets say we have 45 skill and we use a different pick

Iron pick: The success chance would be lowered to 30% the chance to skill up would get calculated based on the 70% chance to fail.

Gold pick: The success chance would be increased to 55% the chance to skill up would get calculated based on the 50%(not the 45%) chance to fail since the picks do not get counted in if they increase your chance of success.

Hope this answers any remaining questions you might have. :D
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

Thanks for the explanation! So the success % chance is essentially:

[(Actual skill - required skill)*10] ± (difference in lockpick level and chest level*5)?
+Arden
Elder Scribe

Post by +Arden »

Opopanax wrote:Thanks for the explanation! So the success % chance is essentially:

[(Actual skill - required skill)*10] ± (difference in lockpick level and chest level*5)?

Yes :D
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

Thanks! Based on the chests I've seen so far I might only be able to gain off chests from treasure maps from now on! Do higher level chests spawn in Fel dungeons vs trammel? I'm going to need ice chests or toxic to get below 100% success chance.
Last edited by Opopanax on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
+Arden
Elder Scribe

Post by +Arden »

As far as i know the chests are random but i could be wrong.
seagrams
Adept Scribe

Post by seagrams »

I've been gaining on Blaze chests from the Devious T-maps all the way up to where I am now - 119.1. I use Platinum lockpicks too.
Alamiester
Legendary Scribe

Post by Alamiester »

the highest dungeon chests ive seen in all most all of the trammel dungeons is blaze.

so what are the percentages that the lockpicks increase/decrease skill. the way it looks iron starts off at -10%. dull copper would be -5%. shadow would be 0%.....etc....etc. so if you use a platinum does it give you a 55% bonus? or does it taper down a few percentage once you use the higher ones.

im at around 106 lockpicking, ive been using iron pick on blaze chests and been getting a few gains here and there on success. i think i need to start doin the tmaps to get better gains also. or find where the higher tier chests spawn, lol.
fixxer1963
Legendary Scribe

Post by fixxer1963 »

Alamiester wrote: the way it looks iron starts off at -10%. dull copper would be -5%. shadow would be 0%.....etc....etc. so if you use a platinum does it give you a 55% bonus? or does it taper down a few percentage once you use the higher ones.
IF the lock is a shadow iron lock.. the above would be true. Because dull copper is one level below shadow iron and iron is two levels below shadow iron.

If the lock is a copper lock... THEN shadow iron picks would be one level lower, thus -5... dull copper would be two levels lower, thus -10... and iron three levels, -15.
Hawke Armstrong/FiXXer
+Arden
Elder Scribe

Post by +Arden »

Alamiester wrote:the highest dungeon chests ive seen in all most all of the trammel dungeons is blaze.

so what are the percentages that the lockpicks increase/decrease skill. the way it looks iron starts off at -10%. dull copper would be -5%. shadow would be 0%.....etc....etc. so if you use a platinum does it give you a 55% bonus? or does it taper down a few percentage once you use the higher ones.

im at around 106 lockpicking, ive been using iron pick on blaze chests and been getting a few gains here and there on success. i think i need to start doin the tmaps to get better gains also. or find where the higher tier chests spawn, lol.

Using a plat pick on a iron lock has a +65% success chance
using a plat pick on a plat lock has a +0% success chance

using a iron pick on a plat lock has a -65% success chance
using a iron pick on a iron lock has +0% success chance

the difference in material level determines the bonus success chance (+/- 5% per level difference)

and yes to gain up to 120 you would need to work on at least the lower end of treasure chests

using iron picks on blaze locks has a -45% success chance reduction so in theory you would be able to gain up to around 108ish lockpicking since the gaps have not yet been standardised, but when they do your combo will get you up to 104.5