The infamous tunic slot (layer 22).

Name says it all
Turnabout
Elder Scribe

The infamous tunic slot (layer 22).

Post by Turnabout »

After some research I still can't find an item for the tunic slot that doesn't cover nearly every equipped item in the paperdoll view.

paperdolls75%.jpg
paperdolls75%.jpg (242.09 KiB) Viewed 3799 times

I want my char to looks like the paperdoll in the right side of the picture, but unfortunately every single tunic I have found until now cover my chest/sash slot, like you can see in the paperdoll on the left side.

Do we have on the shard some kind of item we can place on the tunic slot (layer 22) that doesn't act like a curtain?

If yes let me know please.

tyvm.
The Skilled Image.
Durocius
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: The infamous tunic slot (layer 22).

Post by Durocius »

I don’t think there is anything craftable like you want. I have also sewn every item possible looking for the same.
:evil:
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Yeah there was similar topic time ago, yeah robe/tunic etc slot items hide everything (even if you use ethy color as i heard ) . its how they act. I can be wrong now, but something in my oblivious memory says that was hard coded in client.
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

There isn’t an item that occupies the tunic/robe slot and goes under your armor pieces. Once upon a time there were a few special items made to allow that…we’re talking 7-10 years ago. The only person I know that has one is John Warren.
Turnabout
Elder Scribe

Post by Turnabout »

Muolke wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:53 am
There isn’t an item that occupies the tunic/robe slot and goes under your armor pieces. Once upon a time there were a few special items made to allow that…we’re talking 7-10 years ago. The only person I know that has one is John Warren.
About John Warren... yes i have read one of his old posts about the tunic slot:

https://uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=75119#p75119

Thank you for the info.
The Skilled Image.
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

wesmith wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:07 pm
Muolke wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:53 am
About John Warren... yes i have read one of his old posts about the tunic slot:

https://uoex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=75119#p75119

Thank you for the info.
So it doesn't hide such parts as shoulders?? seems i read wrong post.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Back in the day you could do a few wacky things with relayers, when they all had to be hand-made by +c. My robe slot is occupied by an elven shirt, however, it still sits outside the armour, over the top of the sash and chest slots, making it look like I'm wearing a shirt (my sash is not visible). It just looks like a shirt, instead of a robe/hakama shita (or whatever it is called). I wear 2 shirts, and when I put on the robe-shirt it covers everything up. Interestingly, these "off layer" relayers need to be equipped in a specific order, which is annoying.

I could have made my robe a candle or something instead. That would have allowed it to do what you want. I did that with my kilt slot. The torch I wear under my shield is actually my kilt slot item as I do not find the appearance of a kilt that nice with all the other trappings. I've actually relayered over that slot (my torch-kilt was originally poorly statted looted thing, I relayered over it with a TH, and it kept the layer and appearance correct).

Other players did some creative things, such as making their kilt slot a dragon helm. They would wear the dragon helm AND a bone helmet to create a unique looking helmet with the bone helm face and the cool horns of the dragon helm. Some slots were off limits, but there are quite a few kilt-torches/candles/lanterns getting around.

+C did say recently he would consider auctioning one of those oldschool relayers one day, I think he called it a super relayer, or something. I think it wold be a good auction item. Make your robe a cloak/cape to wear with a quiver and have no robe covering the sash, chest shoulders etc.

The most obvious solution though, Turnabout, is just don't wear a robe. Throw it on when you're doing something rough and need the extra stats. Otherwise, just roll with that slot unequipped. Gaara, and a few others, do that. It's not like you need the stats from that slot to actually do 95% of the content here....

Oh, and that's a firm 'no' on the new green look, lol. Your old hue was better. :lool: :dance
JOHNNY WARREN!
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

I can just say old proverb ''beauty requires sacrifice'' :D
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Yeah there are some layers that wouldn't look right with stuff under them, parts of the clothing below would be sticking out, and so the game is coded so that it just completely hides the items that are below. This works with a well-coordinated collection of items where the graphics artists followed some guidelines. But with the collections of graphics we added later on, things sometimes get weird. Or maybe it's that some items are hardcoded (by their ItemID) to hide things, I forgot how exactly this works and for which items and for which layers.

Before relayers were a deed, a player would occasionally ask if we can skew the rules a bit and after a while and over the years there were a few interesting "workarounds" :) I'd like to make that exceptional relayering possible again someday.

Oh, about this specific issue with the tunic hiding your stuff below, I tested and it seems to not hide it. But I don't know if I understand everything right.
dreadnought with tunic.png
dreadnought with tunic.png (11.72 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

I understand your pain I've tried everything available... I bought an ethereal dye tub only to find my paperdoll would just turn black instead of hiding the top layer piece :roll:
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

I'd love to have options to re-layer robe and cloak slots to that are more hidden. They both look so goofy. You can re-layer to a quiver instead, I suppose but those also look silly in your paperdoll, I think.

It's unfortunate that the options you have for making a unique look are all spoiled by the fact that nearly everyone's entire outfit is covered up by the same Royal Hive Robe until they can afford to re-layer to the same tunic that everyone uses.
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

I believe item id robe, turned in to piece that takes other spot than robe in paperdoll would also hide stuff under it, because of how code acts.
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Cerrera wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:29 am
I believe item id robe, turned in to piece that takes other spot than robe in paperdoll would also hide stuff under it, because of how code acts.
What if we could opt to have robe relayered into a second kilt or shirt? something that would just stay hidden.
Even if it had to be requested to a game master? could this perhaps be feasible +C? I'm not aware of the mechanics behind setting items.

I wouldn't mind paying an "extra service fee" to be able to hide the robe and perhaps it wouldn't be such an overwhelming job. It could even be done while player was afk so long as there was the item and the money/EDs in a bag on the bank or something.

I'm not sure how it was done before but Johnny Warren may be able to help with this. When two items were in the same "layer" they occupied different positions of the paperdoll but appear overlapped right?
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

+Colibri wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:45 am
I'd like to make that exceptional relayering possible again someday. Oh, about this specific issue with the tunic hiding your stuff below, I tested and it seems to not hide it. But I don't know if I understand everything right.
The way to get around this would be to adjust the paper doll graphic to add a second ring slot and then make a tunic graphic that's a ring for that slot. I don't know if you'd have to replace one of the existing tunic graphics or if wearable as a tunic is one of the options you can set on the graphic that lets the client understand it's wearable.

I do know that the client considers specific item types to be wearable in specific slots, so if the client thinks something is already worn in that slot it won't let you try. That's why Johnny Warren has to wear his relayer in a specific order: the mis-slotted one before the one that correctly goes in that slot.

It's also possible (and I think it would be handy) to make a "shirt" handle box on the paper doll and then modify all the worn shirt graphics to include a shirt icon that fits in that box. That'd allow you to take off a shirt without taking everything else off first. That's a straightforward modification of the client graphics.
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

No second kilt or ring, but you can make specific slot item, which takes spot in paperdoll looking that its in another spot, but as i mentioned before, i think there is big chance, that it can act same way, independantly of how it looks in paperdoll. Btw i could actually make an experiment,with modding, but maybe in weekend, being lazy :D