Hopefully NOT off-topic

Name says it all
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Re: Hopefully NOT off-topic

Post by Johnny Warren »

Not sure why my name is in some of these quotes.... I have multiple shirts of excelsioran honesty and protector of the economy etc as rewards for identifying cheats and gold making bugs to +c.

I guess all I will add is this. Passing a random check once doesn't mean you haven't otherwise done the wrong thing. The admins need to be more active in this space around the halloween dungeon time. That dungeon, for some reason, brings out the worst in everyone... multiple multi-accounters at any given stage in there. I could drop many names. Some have already been banned. Some jailed. But that dungeon brings out the cheats...
JOHNNY WARREN!
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

Zanzi wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:38 pm
M3D1CN1 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:35 pm
BAD BAD TSK you should have the gold you earned taken away only caught 1 at it here not sure if anything was done at all :verymad:
Not a bad idea. Maybe instead of jail tasks it should be gold.
Yes, I agree. Besides having non-scripted afk checks there should be some farming specific afk punishment.

I remember back 5 or 6 years if you got caught afk leveling in doom +N would take the weapon you were leveling away. It does not have to be that severe, but I also think there needs to be more disincentive.

There will always be false accusations, but I think that having so many from the top players indicates that doing these actions are conceivable. At some point punishments and catch rate become so severe that sensible people wonder why someone would ever do them. It becomes inconceivable that someone would do it.

It doesn't even have to be all the time. Like police cars, there are sudden upticks in police activity. I won't pretend to know how hard codex policing is. You have to maximize true positives without making the game unplayable.

Zanzi, I appreciate your sportsmanship. I believe no matter how much one disagrees with someone else, one should be able to take a step back and be civil about disagreements.
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

We are Borgs!
Attachments
New Bitmap Image borg.jpeg
New Bitmap Image borg.jpeg (79.8 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

I think sometimes it can be so difficult to acknowledge our words and actions have harmful consequences. I think psychological we are programmed to be selfish and in order for us to look better, we need to make someone look worse. Walking back is a sign of maturity and emotional intelligence.
arrow
Legendary Scribe

Post by arrow »

:verymad:
Attachments
bickering.jpg
bickering.jpg (61.62 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
Always remember to pillage before you burn!-----------Unknown
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Guys lets not get mad at eachother or try to invent the wheel here... Do you know that AFK check gump that gets popped up even when you are cutting deco or boards? Why not just automatically bump it every once in a while (RNG timer of course) when a player is inside a certain area?

If instead of jail people pay gold I would easily start afk farming... at the afk check rate it would be quite profitable ... :lool:

PS: perhaps this should be bumped in the priority list (a lot above the "change ED price" or the "change healing mechanics") ...
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

I do like the idea of players being able to trigger an AFK check for another player in battle. Maybe so it only triggers upon AFKable action at least 5 minutes or 100 steps from where it was requested, and a player can't request more than one automated AFK check per day to avoid harassment. That is, a player can request one check but be the recipient of as many checks as are requested.
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Wil wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:56 am
I do like the idea of players being able to trigger an AFK check for another player in battle. Maybe so it only triggers upon AFKable action at least 5 minutes or 100 steps from where it was requested, and a player can't request more than one automated AFK check per day to avoid harassment. That is, a player can request one check but be the recipient of as many checks as are requested.
I could go along with this. Kind of the same reasoning behind players being able to take away the ability of a spammer to post in world chat.

You could restrict it to players with an account age of over 2-3 years to prevent people from creating multiple fake account and limiting it to 3 total afk checks per 24 hour period and a player only getting a max of 3 player generated afk checks per hour but only if they're actively fighting something.

Also, the current AFK checks by the admins need to be increased and questions/methods changed. Nothing against +K but everyone knows the times +K is generally online and it's always the same..."what day of the week is it" question.
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Muolke wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:01 am
Wil wrote:
I could go along with this. Kind of the same reasoning behind players being able to take away the ability of a spammer to post in world chat.

You could restrict it to players with an account age of over 2-3 years to prevent people from creating multiple fake account and limiting it to 3 total afk checks per 24 hour period and a player only getting a max of 3 player generated afk checks per hour but only if they're actively fighting something.

Also, the current AFK checks by the admins need to be increased and questions/methods changed. Nothing against +K but everyone knows the times +K is generally online and it's always the same..."what day of the week is it" question.
And new multiaccounting purpose comes in to play, afk checkers. :P :D
davethemage
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by davethemage »

Wil wrote:
I would be behind this 100%. Maybe even enough to start really playing again. Nothing more frustrating then trying to level a weapon then to have someone jump into your spawn and kill everything you couldn't (and messing up your loot script), not to mention the doom afk'ers that also do the same. I got so frustrated with it that I basically gave up trying to do any of the above and now just log in, vote, bees, and log out because I know if i try anything of monetary value it will be jumped on by an afk scripter.
IGN: Edwin Roach
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

I apologize again for posting that in public chat, it's our policy to keep such things private (unless made public by the player). You did fail that multi-client test, however there was something about which we talked the next day and I voided the penalty (because of some arguments you made, which I then was able to confirm with logs).

I won't give out your username, but...
Let's say if your username is "blackthorn", but then who is this "thornblack" who just logged in to do BODs?
Also who are:
- blackthorn6
- blackthorn4ever
- thornblackWTB
- thornblack4ever

Btw Muolke, there was a report about possible Exex price fixing... I'd like to look into that someday, but at the time it wasn't fishy enough (and with the piles of other things) I didn't take the time to pursue that issue. Would like to check it out someday.

I haven't read the rest in detail. But yes, more AFK checks, also less power to macroing balrons, all worth discussing and then doing something about.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

+Colibri wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:07 pm
Let's say if your username is "blackthorn", but then who is this "thornblack" who just logged in to do BODs?
Also who are:
- blackthorn6
- blackthorn4ever
- thornblackWTB
- thornblack4ever
Don't forget "blackthorn4Prez" and Iheartblackthorn" LOL!
+Colibri wrote:
Btw Muolke, there was a report about possible Exex price fixing... I'd like to look into that someday, but at the time it wasn't fishy enough (and with the piles of other things) I didn't take the time to pursue that issue. Would like to check it out someday.
I mean...price fixing is basically several players working together to influence the price of something enough in order to actually increase or decrease the price of something. Or are you referring to something different? I know many people think I own tens of thousands of EDs and manipulate the price of them on ExEx on a regular basis but...besides me only you know if that's true or not and if it is...is it against the Codex? All good questions right? :nod:
ZeeeQi
Adept Scribe

Post by ZeeeQi »

+Colibri wrote:
I apologize again for posting that in public chat, it's our policy to keep such things private (unless made public by the player). You did fail that multi-client test, however there was something about which we talked the next day and I voided the penalty (because of some arguments you made, which I then was able to confirm with logs).

Also who are:
- blackthorn6
- blackthorn4ever
- thornblackWTB
- thornblack4ever

I haven't read the rest in detail. But yes, more AFK checks, also less power to macroing balrons, all worth discussing and then doing something about.
Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy like they wanted me to look like.
Said that, this will be my last post in this thread, see you all in ballys.
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

zeeeqi wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:13 am
+Colibri wrote:

Also who are:
- blackthorn6
- blackthorn4ever
- thornblackWTB
- thornblack4ever

Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy like they wanted me to look like.
Said that, this will be my last post in this thread, see you all in ballys.
I absolutely loved it that people will read into anything the way they wanted to.

If I am not mistaken, this was started from my comment along the line of (the person that spent 850m for totem might not have even use it yet). Not sure how it was perceived incorrectly as complaining.

Fast forward to +C post. When I saw it, my gut instinct tells me someone might read it wrong as well. Guess I was correct. Haters will be just that.

Here is the fact as I remembered it. We were put to the dual client test. Afterward there were no penalties and no further communication the next day. DISCLAIMER. There is a real good possibility +C was talking about me and everything he shared was factual and I just don’t remember the details.

I am not looking for proof or vindication in anyways. Still enough here to show that some of us just loved it when we think we are better.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

Muolke wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:48 pm
I’m sure they’ll try to come after me again…maybe blaming me for manipulating ExEx and ED prices. Which even if true…isn’t against any rule.
Yeah, Not against any rule... I used to purposely manipulate the price of plat ingots by just running my script and selling them cheap because 95 was way to much IMO.

Tried it with arrows for a bit (tried buying them all under 6 gold and keeping the price at like 7 gold) but, turns out more ppl were willing to buy and stock at 3.5/ 4 gold then I thought.