Hungry pets

Vote on the shard-related matters and/or give your arguments.

Should pets keep the same loyalty when shrinken?

Yes, the loyalty should stay the same
67%
No, they should unshrink with full loyalty
33%

Total votes: 27

+Colibri
Administrator

Hungry pets

Post by +Colibri »

More explanation on the possible answers:

Yes, the loyalty should stay the same
The pets will stay as hungry as the time you shrunk them. They will however be loosing loyalty at a slower rate than now. Right now you need to feed them about 3 times per day, and if this goes thru, they will need to be fed once per day.

No, they should unshrink with full loyalty
When you would unshrink a pet, it will come back with full loyalty - fully fed. Instead of feeding pets you would just need to shrink and unshrink the pet.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Avil
Novice Scribe

Post by Avil »

i dont mind having to feed pets more often but did i see something about a 24 hour max on shrunken pets what does that mean exactly?
rush
Journeyman Scribe

Post by rush »

Is there any 3rd options??
Pet that is shrink will stay as it is before it is shrink.
When it is not shrink, it will lose loyalty.
It's a bad idea to lose loyalty when it is shrink, ppl that has lots of pets will have a hard time feeding all the pets they own...
xiao bai
Journeyman Scribe

Post by xiao bai »

i cant feed them everyday
cant online for about 4 or 5 days in a weeks

any other option??
* x _ x * _XiaoBai_ * x _ x *
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

To clarify how the system works.

The old version:
When you shrunk a pet, it created an item with all of the information about your pet, and then deleted the pet. When you unshrunk it, it created a new pet and applied all of the stats from the shrinkitem to the new pet. The consequense of this is that the new pet was fully loyal (as if it was fully fed). This is actually an imperfection of the old system, if you look it from the eyes of a programmer - there was some information that didn't get saved.

The new version:
It makes an item as it did before, but now instead of deleting the pet, it moves it somewhere safe. When you doubleclick your shrunken pet, it doesn't make a new pet, but just brings that safely stored pet to you. Which means that all of your pet's properties are exactly as they were.

There's a trick with the new system tho. Since some pets might be shrunken and then put in a box somewhere perhaps forever, that would mean that we would have double the pets. One copy is in someone's box, and the other copy is "safe somewhere". So i've made that the system deletes that "safely stored pet" after 24 hours, if it hasnt been used. After this has been deleted, the pet is restored as it used to - without some of the properties beeing fully restored - like pet loyality.

The way i see it, is that the old system had an imperfection (well not just one, but the loyalty beeing restored is ofcourse seen as a bonus from the viewpoint of the player). And this system now, as long as you are unshrinking your pet in less than 24 hours, brings back the same exact pet, and is therefor more correct than the old system. However, most people that play on shards with this imperfect shrink system, see this as a bug. It's actually as it used to be, you had to feed your pets.

I don't want to force something lame into the game, even if it's as it should properly work, so i'll reconsider the whole thing and i hope that the results of this poll will help.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

xiao bai wrote:i cant feed them everyday
cant online for about 4 or 5 days in a weeks

any other option??
If your pet is shrunken, it doesn't loose loyalty. And it get's reset after 24 hours anyway. So it's the same if you have a pet in a box at your home for 2 days, or 2 years.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Avil
Novice Scribe

Post by Avil »

im sorry if im being dense but lets say i shrink a pet and dont unshrink it for 1-2 weeks do i lose pet if so that would not be a good thing in my humble opinion and some of the pet differences is why i play freeshards and not osi
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Avil wrote:im sorry if im being dense but lets say i shrink a pet and dont unshrink it for 1-2 weeks do i lose pet if so that would not be a good thing in my humble opinion and some of the pet differences is why i play freeshards and not osi
You don't loose the pet. The pet comes back as it used to, with full loyalty.

(Only an internal thingy gets deleted but you surely won't notice that unless if i give you exact instructions how to make it so that you would notice.)

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Digger
Novice Scribe

Post by Digger »

I agree with the feeding of pets if they are not going to lose loyalty as a shrunken pet. As I see it, this is required in order to keep the hit bars up and not having to pull them again. Slowing down the feeding requirement would be a big help as it is easier to remember to feed them the first time I log on for a day, than trying to remember to feed them multiple times during the day.

I realize pets are powerful, but they need to be. OSI designed UO so that different areas "need" multiple players. This isn't OSI. We don't have thousands online at a time. As of now our highest count has been 28. There is not always an option to get a lot of people together to go to Doom, or Dreadhorn, Champs, or places like that. In this, there needs to be a way to work up so you can either solo these places, or at least be able to clear them with a few others helping. Pets give that ability. In this, I don't feel that pets need to be nerfed. I understand how it can be viewed otherwise, but I feel that it is a needed feature.

My 2 cents worth...
Digger
xiao bai
Journeyman Scribe

Post by xiao bai »

ok
thanks for telling me
* x _ x * _XiaoBai_ * x _ x *
Xandorr
Passer by

Pet Hunger/Loyalty

Post by Xandorr »

Ok, guess Im a knothead/numbskull/whatever...STILL not sure Im getting the exact point of the post; so Ill just (as to my OPINION) say that the way I see it, shrinking is a way of "freezing" a pet in time for storing (I know that has nothing to do with scripts [but we do at least need to acknowledge the RPing idea of UO...and not let the hardware we play on define it for us TOTALLY]), and this would mean that when unshrunk, pets would be at the same hunger and loyalty levels as when they were shrunk.

HOWEVER, in that same context; Im not totally sure 3 times a day is really enough on feeding...an active pet would eat more often then that to remain at top relation to its owner. So; Ild not be averse to leaving shrunken pets alone, BUT taking feeding on unshrunk pets and make it a 4 or even 6 times a day thing.

I hope these comments get my opinion voiced properly on this idea in a way that is also understandable by all.

Xandorr 8)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

With some thougt, and some exploration, i found that:
1. Pet goes down one loyalty step an hour, there are 10 steps. I think it goes down faster if it is fighting, that's something i'm yet to look at
2. Feeding it one food item raises it for one step. So giving your pet 5 apples will give you 5 hours of non-fighting time with your pet.

I heard that having a pack of ozzies, you have to feed them 2-3 times a day, each taking up let's say 8 apples.

At the moment i'm most leaning towards having to feed it once a day (in tech terms, it would loose one loyalty step per two hours, not one), and feeding it even a single food item would bring it's loyalty back to max.
That way you have some extra work to keep your pet(s) happy, but it isnt a mayor annoyance.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Ka'Met
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ka'Met »

[but we do at least need to acknowledge the RPing idea of UO...and not let the hardware we play on define it for us TOTALLY]), and this would mean that when unshrunk, pets would be at the same hunger and loyalty levels as when they were shrunk.

HOWEVER, in that same context; Im not totally sure 3 times a day is really enough on feeding...an active pet would eat more often then that to remain at top relation to its owner. So; Ild not be averse to leaving shrunken pets alone, BUT taking feeding on unshrunk pets and make it a 4 or even 6 times a day thing.

Xandor,

Im not sure how your relating this to the actual hardware. As far as RPing goes, on the old system I would give a pet an apple on occasion and say ( out loud ) "thats a good boyyy!" If your implying it should be more realistic.. what pet do you have that you actually feed 4-6 times a day in real life? If i fed my dog that much or my gold fish that much, .. he would die in a year from obesity. Heh even my hunting dog doesnt eat 3 times a day when out for a full day of running... I assure you he is just as loyal as they come.
Ka'Met
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Ka'Met »

Im for feeding once a day, once a week, whatever. ( i should feed myself on occasion to, luckily i cant go disloyal to myself)

I agree fully with Diggers post, well put digger.

As far as hearing the word "Nerf" coming from a dev ... I Run very fast from it. I would like a "nerf bat" so i could beat the "censored" out of any dev that even THINKS the word nerf.

Theres a billion and one things i could post good/bad ill choose to see how things pan out here first.

safe journeys,

Ka
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

I'm aware of how nerfing can be for players and i'm trying to avoid it. So far there's only been 3 nerfs:
- Uber strong hiryus, that were actually halved in strength
- Super rich deathwatch beetles
- Limiting the number of times a pet can breed
The 250str cap on pack-instincted pets was in since the first day we got breeders.

To be completely technically correct, time in UO runs very fast, and you should be feeding your pet every half an hour :p

I guess the middle path is best. Fixing the imperfection and making it more realistic, however the pets will be getting hungry very slowly and will be fully fed with just one apple. Id say the server will be restarted with the change in a day or two.

(Old Colibrian proverb)