Introducing: Mentor Society

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

Introducing: Mentor Society

Post by +Colibri »

The mentor society is a group of players with a focus on new players, to help them get started, and gameplay that suits their levels of skill and gear.

There are many of you who wish to be more active in the community, not just playing the game but also experiencing "the next level". This is now a possibility, and there will probably be other groups like this (with different goals, but more on that when the time is right), this is the thing for you if you're interested in making connections, showing new players what the shard is all about, and help them in their first 30 days on the shard.

Since we started the Mentor Society back in June, I've gotten requests to join, but the group wasn't officially open yet. It's now possible to apply, but first I'd like to give a few details about what it's all about:

- Mentors get access to a Mentor Dashboard tool, which shows currently online newbies and some relevant information about each player, and ability to jump to their location.
- Mentors hold a flag while actively mentoring, and a badge that shows how many players they've helped.
- They can enter newbie-only areas, and peek into newbie's backpacks and bankboxes.
- And a few other tools, there are also ideas which haven't yet been decided or coded into the game.

This is basically something in the middle of being a staff member and a player - sort of what counselors used to do, but with a more specific set of responsibilities. A mentor has to maintain a certain level of activity to hold the position. Also, without any large penalties on the record, to be approved or to stay a member.

This concept is on it's way to be finished - we still need to determine specific guidelines for our activities.

To apply, visit the application stone at the Mentor Building (former Youth Center). You can get there from Town Center, if you first go thru the blue portal into the Newbie Bin room, through another blue portal that leads to the Mentor Building.
After I review your application I'll send you a link to the more detailed rules, and when you are online, we'll show you around.

We're looking forward to meeting you!
mentor testing.png
mentor testing.png (198.77 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
fixxer1963
Legendary Scribe

Re: Introducing: Mentor Society

Post by fixxer1963 »

LOL... You tell people you have work for them to do and they all slink back into the woodwork.
Hawke Armstrong/FiXXer
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

fixxer1963 wrote:LOL... You tell people you have work for them to do and they all slink back into the woodwork.
Well, it would make a better appearance if this turned out to be a popular topic, but we did get applications on the stone, as well as positive feedback thru the help system.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

+Colibri wrote:
fixxer1963 wrote:LOL... You tell people you have work for them to do and they all slink back into the woodwork.
Well, it would make a better appearance if this turned out to be a popular topic, but we did get applications on the stone, as well as positive feedback thru the help system.

I recently checked out another server and found something to be helpful. They actually had a guild for all the new players. You could stay in this guild for your first 180 days on the server then you'd be recruited by the other guilds. All the new players got a "new player packet" and they had 5-6 vets running the guild and they all answered questions etc.

Any chance you could see if anyone was willing to set up such a guild and give them some similar tools? Retention of new players is key and since HLP disbanded there isn't a specific community to help out new players. This mentor group is a step in the right direction but I think we should go a bit further.