Auction January 7th 2023

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

Auction January 7th 2023

Post by +Colibri »

Saturday January 7th 2023 at 22:00 shard time.

This will be a regular-sized auction, but possibly with 1-2 "greater auction items". Hoping to put together a few new things by then, got a list of ideas ready.

List of items:
Harpy on perch
Deed to bless your character's main backpack
Ethereal Panda
Infinite Bandage
Feeding bucket
Armor Piercing Dip tub
Explosive Dip tub
Personal Spawner (Various Creatures)
Change Shield Appearance to Oval Kite Shield
Sash of Animal Lore (+8 bonus)
Delucian Horn (infinite uses)
Dreadnought sword
Deathly Bridge addon
bed of nails (east)
Achievement Book
Britain Bank Well
Stack Of 20 Bone Crushers
Celtic Ankh (east)
Ice rink addon
UnfinishedStatueScaffold2
UnfinishedStatueScaffold1
Campsite addon
LampPost3
FlowerBoat
Treasure2

Re-Auction
Items randomly* selected for re-auction are now listed here, and also on display in the Auction Display Room.
(I used https://onlinerandomtools.com/shuffle-lines to paste the full list of items, and just closed my eyes and clicked many many times, then eventually i took my hand off the mouse and copy-pasted the first half of the items).

For re-auction rules see previous auction's topic:
viewtopic.php?p=80793#p80793

Tickets with initial bids for re-auction must be submitted by this Friday, January the 13th, by 23:59 shard time.
To see prices that these items sold for, go to the Auction Stone and click History. Note that the history menu currently only shows the number, not the currency. The currency can be seen by checking out the color of the display stone under the item.

The initial bid for re-auction must be 10% higher than what the item sold for.

Dreadnought sword
FlowerBoat
Armor Piercing Dip tub
Deathly Bridge addon
Treasure2
Ethereal Panda
Delucian Horn (infinite uses)
Britain Bank Well
Personal Spawner (Various Creatures)
Explosive Dip tub
Deed to bless your character's main backpack
Stack Of 20 Bone Crushers
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Re: Auction January 7th 2023

Post by Johnny Warren »

+Colibri wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:17 pm
Saturday January 7th 2023 at 22:00 shard time.

This will be a regular-sized auction, but possibly with 1-2 "greater auction items". Hoping to put together a few new things by then, got a list of ideas ready.
Awesome news! Thanks +C :dance
JOHNNY WARREN!
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Will this auction also feature a "re-auction" like the one on December 10th?
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

The special auction is a good idea to sink more gold. It would be nice if we can find a way to get it done sooner.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

A few of those +25 points to a level 100 weapon deeds or change 1 stat to another deed would bee cool. Very little overall impact to the game (oh yippiy you kill stuff 1% faster that everyone else can also kill) but, can probably leach a good billion out of the economy on their own ever time.

Another Idea is to auction off a 90 day Recall rune blocker for 90 tiles radius and sell one each month, I know some ppl would pay millions just to block bally farmers in a spot if only for 3 months. Then the rune book scripters would try to buy them to keep from getting blocked! it would be epic!!
MarkM
Expert Scribe

Post by MarkM »

I'm reading a lot about AFK Bally recallers.. This always been an issue? If so why is nothing being done? ANYWAYS.. Need the dye tub to change ethys to its original color if you don't mind +C! Thx
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

MarkM wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:54 pm
I'm reading a lot about AFK Bally recallers.. This always been an issue? If so why is nothing being done?
Well, there has always been people irritated by automatic gold farming. Whether the people automatically farming are afk or not, is another issue entirely. Whether they are afk or not is for the admins to determine. The admins do check periodically, not very well mind you, but they do.

Periodically there are complaints about recall farming. The dominating argument being that it is too easy to make an automatic bally recall script and then let it fly (potentially afk). The seemingly obvious solution being that there should be recall restrictions in the high gold spots or in general. Most of these solutions drastically affect casual game play. Regardless, the problem with recall limiting solutions is that recalling is not an obstacle to competent scripters. The ability to recall does make it easier.

The last time this conversation got brought up I put it to bed by proving that a competent scripter can make similarly profitable scripts without recalling and with the right gear. Limiting recalling will just set the coding level higher. It would widen the gold gap, not reduce it. Making auction items even harder for people to get.
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
ButteryBiscuits
Elder Scribe

Post by ButteryBiscuits »

So, not trying to be a twit but is "greater auction" same thing as a "grand auction"? All I know are the "grand auctions" and the "other auctions".
BB
---------------------------
ButteryBiscuits
in game name ButteryBiscuits
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_of_Warsaw
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

MagicUser wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:17 pm
MarkM wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:54 pm
I'm reading a lot about AFK Bally recallers.. This always been an issue? If so why is nothing being done?
Well, there has always been people irritated by automatic gold farming. Whether the people automatically farming are afk or not, is another issue entirely. Whether they are afk or not is for the admins to determine. The admins do check periodically, not very well mind you, but they do.

Periodically there are complaints about recall farming. The dominating argument being that it is too easy to make an automatic bally recall script and then let it fly (potentially afk). The seemingly obvious solution being that there should be recall restrictions in the high gold spots or in general. Most of these solutions drastically affect casual game play. Regardless, the problem with recall limiting solutions is that recalling is not an obstacle to competent scripters. The ability to recall does make it easier.

The last time this conversation got brought up I put it to bed by proving that a competent scripter can make similarly profitable scripts without recalling and with the right gear. Limiting recalling will just set the coding level higher. It would widen the gold gap, not reduce it. Making auction items even harder for people to get.
still an easy work around for any half decent scripter my suggestion was gonna be diminishing loot returns on the same mob
after X amount of repetitive kills on same mob type gold drop is reduced by Y%

the amount of gold balrons drop could just be reduced to make them less lucrative
the amount of gold on other monster types could be increased to incentivise alternate farming practices
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

Geriatric wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:39 am
still an easy work around for any half decent scripter my suggestion was gonna be diminishing loot returns on the same mob
after X amount of repetitive kills on same mob type gold drop is reduced by Y%

the amount of gold balrons drop could just be reduced to make them less lucrative
the amount of gold on other monster types could be increased to incentivise alternate farming practices
I applaud the unique solution. I do not believe this would work as balron recall farming is already diversified. More complex scripting alternatives are even more mob diversified. Besides the general game play connotations. Such as the gauntlet and the other peerless dungeons.
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

This still going ahead?

Any chance of seeing items before auction?

Thanks
JOHNNY WARREN!
Kairoz
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Kairoz »

I absolutely loved the idea of auctioning certain itens for tokens and elven notes. last auction, it worked so well. i really think that should become standard :nod:
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

The auction is still on, wanted to get some stuff set up today but got stuck on the "old business" part of the agenda.
Will post by tomorrow evening.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

The items are on display now, also posted in the original post.

Notes on the Infinite bandage:
- It will require a server restart, so you'll probably be able to use it sometime during the next week.

- There is a need to do something about instaheal. Start crafting your torches and pitchforks :mrgreen: At some point in the future we'll have to revisit the 220 dex instaheal - of course it won't be nerfed into uselessness, but something perhaps that you can still do insta-heal in bursts, or maybe for it to require an additional resource, and also so that 210 dex already gives some advantage, and 230 a bigger advantage, so that it scales... But I have no idea when we'll get into that, or what the outcome might be. In any case, the infinite bandage will still be very useful, just thought I'd let you all know in advance.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

+Colibri wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:59 pm
- There is a need to do something about instaheal...At some point in the future we'll have to revisit the 220 dex instaheal - of course it won't be nerfed into uselessness...
I have to start questioning your ideas for the foreseeable future... Perhaps you should make a post regarding these "ideas"...

In the meantime, thank you for the auction.
Lurking the forums since dec 2012