18th Anniversary

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

18th Anniversary

Post by +Colibri »

Today is our shard's 18th anniversary!

There's a giftstone in the Town Center, come by and get a commemorative item :)

On February 1st 2006, at 12:39:48 shard time, I started a RunUO server and created the first account. At the time that was central european time, so that would make it 11:39:48 GMT aka current shard time. This was probably the 2nd or 3rd "world" that we created, mostly just to play around and be amazed that we can place castles in the middle of Britain. But somehow this world was more taken care of, taken a bit more seriously. At the time it wasn't online 24/7, it was just on my computer and I kept it online in the evening and thru the night. When I was coding, it was offline (or just not reliable, constant restarts) so we didn't rely on any stability. There was also Morpheus and Lero. Morpheus was my classmate in highschool and also college, and Lero was a friend from Poland, we all played together in a small guild on another shard, where we met. The first serious player was Sacagawea who built the first house ever (in the Taming forest) and later had a nice house on an island. The server was then listed on UOGateway on March 15th, and at that point it was running on a server 24/7, with almost daily restarts.

server has no accounts.png
server has no accounts.png (2.32 KiB) Viewed 970 times

This is a screenshot from the current console, but it's pretty much the prompt that I was shown back on February 1st 2006. I think it was on Windows XP so the fonts were more like Courier New, this here is Consolas.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Re: 18th Anniversary

Post by Johnny Warren »

Neat bit of insight into the history of this place. Did you imagine an 18th birthday when those first players started logging in?
JOHNNY WARREN!
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

Good post! it gives perspective on how small things can evolve and endure.

Happy birthday and thank you for keeping it up! :)
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
gilga
Apprentice Scribe

Post by gilga »

Amazing to think the shard is that old. I've been here 9 years myself and back when i started my wife and son both played, sadly they moved on to other games. I wonder if there is a way to tell how many players we've had in total in those 18 years.
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Bit lately, but Happy birthday Excelsior.
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Post by culichi »

+Colibri wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:51 pm
The first serious player was Sacagawea who built the first house ever (in the Taming forest) and later had a nice house on an island. The server was then listed on UOGateway on March 15th, and at that point it was running on a server 24/7, with almost daily restarts.
so that "first house on the server" was actually sacagawea's house? or did her house drop long ago and you put down a copy of her house to commemorate it? nice bit of info would have been nice if her name had stayed on house sign or something else like that.thanks for remembering the birthday this year cuz i completely forgot this time hehe.

Happy Birthday Excelsior!