GOOD TO KNOW

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

GOOD TO KNOW

Post by +Colibri »

This post addresses the issues in game, that can either be because of another player, or a staffmember, or because of a bug in the system.
These are the things that are good to know:

1. Remember the names of the people you talk to about important things
for example staffmembers, or other players if they are causing problems

2. Remember the exact date/time
write [time to get the exact server time. This way we can find what was going on very easily.

3. Take screenshots
there's things that cannot be logged or described with words... if you feel like taking a screenshot, do it. It might also be good laughing material :D

4. If you die and believe you were PK'd, contact a staffmember
on 18th may we are implementing a system that logs certain ways of playerkilling, that can be done even in trammel rules. Just don't die until a staffmember investigates and takes notes on the matter.

5. Insure your items, bond your pets
You never know when you might get disconnected, or when the server might get disconnected... many unpleasant things can happen, so it is advised that you insure and bond your precious belongings.
Last edited by +Colibri on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
trikky
Elder Scribe

Post by trikky »

Does anyone know if the bug of pages being cancelled when the player logs out has been sorted with RunUO?

On other shards in the past if you make a page for a GM when that p[layer logs out of the game (With no GM dealing with the page) it can sometimes (If not all the time) be dumped from the system.

Not everyone can stay online all the time
--
CaMg(CO3)2 - Its Dolomite baby.....Dolomite!
Lindon
Adept Scribe

screenshots

Post by Lindon »

suggestion is that we take screenshots..my problem is...HOW do i do that?
Cope
Elder Scribe

Post by Cope »

First and foremost, I'm 99% sure this is not an issue here as far as the page dropping from the system when you log off.

As for how to take screenshots...it's really pretty simple.

press the "print screen" button on your keyboard, should be above the "insert" key, which is above the arrow keys.

After you hit print screen, open Microsoft Paint (any other gaphic editing software should work, but I've never seen a Windows machine without paint). Anyway, when paint is open, just select edit in the toolbar at the top, then select paste. Or, you can use the ctrl+v function.

And that is how you take screenshots. Or, well, one way anyway.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Opps seems i missed that post about how to make screenshots :) Thanks for the guide Cope.

As for the pages dropping out - it's basically a good idea, because usually, when you handle a page you need the person present, so you can ask for more info.
However if there's issues that need detailed insight, feel free to contact:
general [at] uoexcelsior [dot] com

there might be new emails tho, as we might move to uoex.net

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Lindon
Adept Scribe

Thanks for the quick and efficient answer COPE!

Post by Lindon »

Again Thanks got it going all right was simple once you described it.. :D
Jamar
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

There have been reports of players getting stuck in dungeons, dieing and loosing all of their belongings. It might be a technical issue, however, please follow these guidelines:

- Insure your items, bond your pets.
- Dungeons are dangerous, don't go there if you feel you aren't strong enough.
- If you get phisically stuck, go to your paperdoll, click Help -> My character is physically stuck in the game.

We only return items in circumstances that have been proven a technical error. Char-error-wipes, server disconnects, etc. The only one who can load an older save and restore your items, is me, and I'm not here to make a character reconstruction every day.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Cheese
Novice Scribe

Good To Know....

Post by Cheese »

Hey Colibri,

Is the physically getting stuck a technical issue of the game or of someone's individual setup?

For example, I use Razor to connect to the server and I patched UO all the way up to 6.0.1.2 [Patch 49]. I have read that it is suggested we only patch up to around 5. something.

It seems strange that this stuff does happen, I've been physically stuck 2 times now. First time was on the Despise Level 3 Bridge to the island with Ogre Lords (I didn't even bother to do the Help-Physically stuck and just deleted the character).

I don't give a crap about my items, so thats no biggie. Money can be made and I can get new items to play with. It just sucks that the game is buggy like this.

-Cheese
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Did you downgrade to 5.0.6 with the downloaded client.exe? Because the newest client that can connect to our server is 5.0.6d.

It might be that if you have a different version of the client, you also have a different version of the map/statics. That's why it's recommended that you patch to our custom patches (click here for the guide).

If it's anything else, then it's out of my hands. UOGateway is freeware and if you look at their website you'll see they arent doing much on it, the stats of our server have been the same for the past few months, Razor is buggy - the latest version doesnt work with freeshards, UO itself is an 8 year old program (if it disconnects, it eats 100% of your cpu), RunUO is freeware - although the core is very well made, most of the scripts out there aren't very good, code-wise. So it's all a big "wellfare" situation. If it works fine, if it doesnt, too bad... I'm afraid i've come to accept it, there's just so so many things that need to be fixed that I'm not sure it's worth fixing.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
BeaconforHope
Master Scribe

Re: GOOD TO KNOW

Post by BeaconforHope »

i am unsure, but aren't the people who get stuck the ones usin razor to macro? that, i feel, is not the server issue rather an issue of the modifications used by razor. i am not intending to be mean, but if one is modding then one can also expect issues to come along with that :]
other than that, have an awesome day
Always For God