Server Transition Vol. 1

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

Server Transition Vol. 1

Post by +Colibri »

We are experiencing technical problems, it seems as if the server's hard drive is corrupt, or the shard got booted up with errors in the code (errors while it was compiled).
I've been looking for possible solutions to fix it, but i found that there would have to be a character-wipe or a 14 days revert. I find that the character wipe is less damaging to the shard. I've also consulted this with morpheus, of all the posibilities this seems to be the best.
We will be moving to the old server on friday, and when we do, the system will wipe all player characters (including your backpack, and bank box).

What you need to do:
1. Undress your character(s), take all of the items from your backpack and bankbox, leave them at your house. Anything left on your character, in the backpack, or in the bankbox, will be lost. This applies to all characters (not just your main character).
- The transition will take place on friday, July 28th, at 23:00, shard time-
It is still possible to play regularly until that time, given that the shard wont crash. If we turn off the server, or if it crashes, we will unfortunately have no other solution except reverting to July 11th. So lets hope it will hold online for another week.

2. When the transition is over, you need to get a GM or above to transfer your character's properties (scroll down for list) to the new server. We will have both servers (condemned and safe server) online, for as long as possible (most probably till monday/tuesday).

3. For those that won't be online in this first period, till friday, and in the second period, till monday, we will be able to re-create your characters dating back to July 11th.

4. Please let your friends know about this problem, so they can come online and take their items to a safe place.

What do you need to let the GM know, when they are fixing you up:
- Stats - are automatically transfered
- Skills - are automatically transfered
- Powerscrolls consumed - your skillcaps - you need to tell this to the GM
- Are you a bioengineer? Masonry? Stonecrafting? Vendor at the marketplace?
- Have you used an universaldyetub on your backpack, or your skin hue?
- Where your house is, so we can trade it back to you.
- Skillballs - if you have any skillballs, show them to the GM so they can properly mark them. After they are marked, put them in your house.

If you don't have a house, and cannot afford one, and don't have a friend where you can store your things, you will be temporarily given a house.

I will prepare our regular server up for serving the shard, and we will be able to start connecting on friday, at the specified time.
If the shard is stable, you can still play regularly till that time (lets hope it is). If you would rather play it safe, it's best to get your equipment, backpack and bankbox contents to a house.

More info will follow to this topic when available.
Last edited by +Colibri on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Taine
Adept Scribe

Post by Taine »

OMG....i sense some anger in the near future....houses though will be safe from the wipe just a char wipe? should also track down errors or corruption to make sure the roll-back/wipe will actually fix it i know on my server i did that and it was cause by a custom mob and roll back idnt effect monsters and the errors where still there
Harabakc
Legendary Scribe

Post by Harabakc »

Just so it's 100% clear, items inside of locked down chests inside your house are safe for transfer, right?

The reason I'm asking is because of a slightly unclear comment I saw made and I didn't get an answer and I want to be entirely sure all my junk is ok.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Well this is an unfortunate event, it's caused by the server. Either hard drive corrupt, or there was a 1 in a million error when compiling. We must not shut down this server or we'll loose everything we've done in 14 weeks. that's why we'll manually transfering this, hopefully we can get as big percentage of people as possible back to normal by sunday. for those that arent online this week (hopefully not many), we'll be setting them straight over time, based on what they had on July 11th.

Yes - items inside your house are safe. On the transition, the house's owner will be set to "nobody", but a GM will trade you the house.
Make sure you "I wish to secure this" or "i wish to lock this down".

There's also been reports of missing lockdowns... so lets hope your items will be safe.
It's most probably the server's fault. Once this is thru i'll write a complaint to godaddy.com.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Pip
Legendary Scribe

Post by Pip »

and we thought GoDaddy was a good server....

can't trust a site that as to have a hot looking girl attract thier new business.....

not to say i did not enjoy the ads....

:)

ps.. no offense intended to our female members...
Learn somthing new every day.....
Die and forget it all.....

Main Character Sacagawea (yes it's female and yes I am actually a Dude!)
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

hehe. well it's an old experience, from what i know so far all these dedicated servers either cost an arm and a leg, or have the risk of beeing crappy. For example, 249$ a month, havent yet tried those out, but not sure they work aswell. this one is for 103$ a month.

That's why i only trust MPCS (Matej Papler Certified Systems), built with Love?. But still, my personal server, Centes server (our regular host) just today misteriously smoked the southbridge chip, which has gotten a healthy black color. So there goes 80$ for a new motherboard.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Jester
Journeyman Scribe

Post by Jester »

for all you USA'ers just FYI

The server will be shutting down 2300 his time which is:
6PM EST and 3pm PST.

Make sure all your stuff on your character is in a house, including what your wearing.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

dont forget your bankbox - bankboxes are associated with characters, and will also be wiped.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
+Colibri
Administrator

SECOND STEP

Post by +Colibri »

This is now the 2nd step of salvaging our shard.
Tthe new server is up, took a little to calibrate everything.

UOgateay users, go to Start -> Run -> copy-paste this in and click Ok.
uog://CUSTOM|D9A609EEFE394C30964830F0E0F90F02|Excelsior+on+Centes|The+July28+Transfer|centes.uoexcelsior.com|2593|0||http://patch.uoexcelsior.com/patch-a-uog.rar||||||

other clients:
address: centes.uoexcelsior.com
port: 2593

I'm still in my newbie clothes :p

When you get on, submit a page. That way you get in a line for a fixin. When you get your turn, i will come (or posibly some other staffmember) and will fix you up 100%. after taht you can resume playing as if nothing happened.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Llexa
Legendary Scribe

2:15 am and I cant login to Excelsior

Post by Llexa »

Hello,
Trying to log in and will not connect when i type in my username and password. I am not sure why, as it was working fine a few hours ago.

Not sure how else to contact anyone, to let someone know of my troubles, but, if there is a server problem again, or I need to do something differently, let me know. My character has already been rebuilt, and everything was running smoothly. I am just unable to log in now.. It continues to say "Connecting... " then eventually says it could not connect to Ultima. Please try again.
Hope everything is OK!

:?
Rincewind
Novice Scribe

Post by Rincewind »

Hiya

Ive got the same problem as Llexa but i think thats cause i share my IP with Ted and I need my account making again.
Taine
Adept Scribe

Post by Taine »

Centes is FTW

[EDIT] also cant connect getting stuck on well connecting lol

Centes is still FTW in these eyes
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Working address:

address: 194.249.53.33 port: 2593

(Old Colibrian proverb)