So Auction philosophy thread.

Grab a cup of coffe and attend to the more simple things in life.
Turnabout
Elder Scribe

Re: So Auction philosophy thread.

Post by Turnabout »

Johnny Warren wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:12 pm
...Beyond a certain point so is literally everything on this game. If you're going to say auction items are just deco, so don't need any attention/discussion then you need to apply that logic to everything here man. Beyond 220 dex and a few GoC pieces it is all "deco"...
If you can face the Halloween bosses in a 1 vs 5 fight then yes: the rest is a surplus, bad resources allocation or just ego items aka deco.

And again: you don't need items from auctions, in your specific case your weapon is the best I can see in the shard (congrats), but even then you pretend to have the right to continue buying an undefined number of auction deeds to improve it. Now tell me that your behavior don't concur to keep some auction items (weapon deeds) prices extremely high.

Rich people buying at auctions is not a problem. I'm not concerned at all if a guy will spend all his money at auctions buying items he still doesn't have, the next auction he will not be a bidder for that item (let's say a totem deed). The problem rises when a single item is bought by the same person over and over through auctions and that is actually what you do with weapon deeds. In other words you are asking to fix a problem when you are a part of it and this is the case of all the guys bidding to build (buy) their "dream" weapon.
The Skilled Image.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Looking back, I may have set the bar too low for when "everything become deco". I think you're right, u need to be able to do the high end seasonal quests first, then it becomes deco.

I appreciate your comment on the omniblade, its been a work of love and a project that's been going for many years. For the record it only has 2 change hit X to Y deeds on it, that's it.

My bow has, as most decked out bows do, a change specials, reduce arrow consumption and single +20 spend point deed on it.

So to say I buy the deeds to keep their price high is incorrect, it's also actually the opposite of what I want. I wish the deeds were cheaper, in fact in this thread I whine about the 400m+ sp deed. I want another couple of +spend point deeds for both bow and sword to balance the numbers out, get the bow to all 60s and get the str to 8 on sword. I then want +10 to a hit deeds, many of them. I haven't bought a single +10 to a hit deed yet, one player has bought 4 of them.

You are correct in that none of the above is needed, it's all desire. But, the other side of it is, I have foregone a lot to acquire what I have in those weapons. I have never bought a TH, have no totem, have the base number of houses and pets. Don't even have Max luck. So I've invested everything, you could say, in those weps (plus some stupid houses and ethys - again, all vanity purchases). I think what people spend their time doing in game is up to them and their interests.

One thing I do at auctions is presetting a gold cap on the item(s) I am after. The reason is I don't want to succumb to auction fever and blow gold, I earn pretty slowly in game. That's why I usually only compete on one or 2 items a year at auctions. Second reason for the cap is, contrary to what you suggested about my actions, I actually want to keep the median price of these items lower to increase chance of future purchases. This strategy saves me gold, it also means that others get items for more reasonable rates. This is the whole point I am making about the p2w player at last auction and why that style of play hurts everyone (at auctions). It's why deckard left. It's why there are grumblings about auctions moving forward. Nobody wants the median price of a +10 to a hit deed to suddenly become 500m. It's hard enough to save 200m! In nature, in ecosystems, cooperation is often the best strategy, both inter- and intra-species. I believe, and my actions are evidence, that I am a cooperator at auctions, despite your assertions above.

2 quick edits:

1) +c please consider more wep deeds at auctions, I'm not sure why u keep them so rare, as turnabout correctly identified they are just win-more, vanity items. All 3 of the good upgrade deeds (which are change X to Y, +10 to a hit and +5/20 spend points just FYI) are rarer than ancient THs and totems at auctions, and that's just weird IMO. They are true gold sinks. It might also help stop some of this bickering.
2) #FreeTheHues
JOHNNY WARREN!
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

Johnny Warren wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:39 pm
It might also help stop some of this bickering.
Honestly that's as good a reason as any. It's impossible to please everyone, but less complaints in a public forum and a more positive attitude in general does wonders for new player attraction and retention. As well as empowering those new players so they don't feel like it's impossible to interact with some systems monopolized by people who have played for a decade. (Granted, they've played that long and have earned what they have, but I feel it makes a better community to help pull others up than to try to keep newer people down.)
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

The sad thing about this discussion (and almost all other discussions on the forum) is that they're all a waste of time. We agree and disagree and it's great but...none of it matters because change isn't coming.
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Turnabout wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:26 am
The shard is not dying and auction items are just deco, even when they cost hundreds of millions, nobody really need that stuff ("want it" and "need it" are two different things) to play the game.
I honestly can't take any player seriously if they have been around 2-3+ years and don't see what has been taking place for quite some time now. The "shard" may not be dying but...the community and player activity is and has been for quite some time. Any player that denies that is living in fantasyland. You may as well argue that the sky isn't blue.
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

Change is coming +C is working hard on that & some actually support him in doing so......
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Lach wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:31 am
Change is coming +C is working hard on that & some actually support him in doing so......
No offense but…you’ve been here for 3 months and I’ve been here almost a decade so…
Turnabout
Elder Scribe

Post by Turnabout »

Muolke wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:54 am
The sad thing about this discussion (and almost all other discussions on the forum) is that they're all a waste of time. We agree and disagree and it's great but...none of it matters because change isn't coming.
Don't say that. In the past you was able to change how the farming system works just complaining on this forum.

In fact the opposite happens! People complain, ask for a change, when the "fix" come the problem stay unsolved or even get worse. I'll show you how by examples, building a simple timeline of events happened on the shard, all related to problems perceived by players as priority.

1) People: the problem of the shard is the 24h afk farming. Solution: a new admin doing afk checks. The endless farming continued like before, the number of people caught farming afk was very low.

2) People: some farmers are so successful because they have the monopoly of efficient and fast scripts. Solution: pay someone to write a script and share it on the forum, more people farming means less people rising a significant amount of money. Problem unsolved, people consistent at farming was still able to gain a lot each day.

3) Let's nerf mobs. Without money people won't farm anymore. With mobs nerfed we saw a 1.44B totem+ATH purchase: an absolute record on the shard! Problem unsolved, you still need to win the bid against donators.

Etc... Etc...

At this point I have to admit that community complains are able to bring consistent changes and that this kind of changes generally have a negative impact on the shard, because people who just play the game are not competent at all in MMO administration.

In conclusion I have a suggestion for you: trust +C he has 18 years of experience on the shard as a developer.
The Skilled Image.
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Turnabout wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:35 pm
Muolke wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:54 am
Don't say that. In the past you was able to change how the farming system works just complaining on this forum.

In fact the opposite happens! People complain, ask for a change, when the "fix" come the problem stay unsolved or even get worse. I'll show you how by examples, building a simple timeline of events happened on the shard, all related to problems perceived by players as priority.

1) People: the problem of the shard is the 24h afk farming. Solution: a new admin doing afk checks. The endless farming continued like before, the number of people caught farming afk was very low.

2) People: some farmers are so successful because they have the monopoly of efficient and fast scripts. Solution: pay someone to write a script and share it on the forum, more people farming means less people rising a significant amount of money. Problem unsolved, people consistent at farming was still able to gain a lot each day.

3) Let's nerf mobs. Without money people won't farm anymore. With mobs nerfed we saw a 1.44B totem+ATH purchase: an absolute record on the shard! Problem unsolved, you still need to win the bid against donators.

Etc... Etc...

At this point I have to admit that community complains are able to bring consistent changes and that this kind of changes generally have a negative impact on the shard, because people who just play the game are not competent at all in MMO administration.

In conclusion I have a suggestion for you: trust +C he has 18 years of experience on the shard as a developer.
Your belief of what happened + why it happened...and what actually took place are 2 completely different things. You are detached from reality.

1. AFK farming with +K doing regular checks was down compared to before. People were jailed on a daily basis for AFK farming.

2. People farming has never been an issue. AFK farming and Balron bouncing has.

3. The Totem+ATH purchase and Balrons are completely unrelated. They have absolutely nothing to do with each other. The reason the Totem and the ATH sold for about 1.5 billion is because a single played donated thousands of dollars and some players realized what was happening and worked together to run up the prices of those items so such player would blow all their gold (EDs) for the benefit of the shard (and community).

The "why something happened" is usually more important than the "what happened".
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

Muolke wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:00 pm
Lach wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:31 am
No offense but…you’ve been here for 3 months and I’ve been here almost a decade so…
No offense but I started playing on this shard before 2014 so............ I'm so tired of the back and forth and it's only like 2 or 3 of you because you think that this shard should revolve around you. Perfect example "you've been here three months" yeah and other players are starting out fresh guess your better than all of them too? Huh, what a great attitude and leadership from vets of a community.
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Ok I think what was relevant to auctions was already written... and this thread has gone offtopic.
I'll read this thread before I make a new one about some auction changes.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)