Account for the Wiki

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
Jantra
Grandmaster Scribe

Account for the Wiki

Post by Jantra »

I wanted to update a page on the wiki, but every time I click 'login' and then 'make an account', it just redirects me back to the forum's main page... where I'm logged in. How do I make an account or whatever I need to do to be able to add something to the wiki?

Thank you!
PaPa
Grandmaster Scribe

Re: Account for the Wiki

Post by PaPa »

you cant, admin edit only
M3D1CN1
Elder Scribe

Post by M3D1CN1 »

what about creating a new one or a web page :dance
10,000 Lemmings cant be WRONG can they
PaPa
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by PaPa »

I believe that +coli does not want a full wiki for the fact he wants the players to figure it out on there own. Or to ask for help from other players, that way it creates a tighter family of friends. It encourages asking for help and that will allow you to get to know the rest of the players and that will create a stronger shard.

If all the info about the shard was on the wiki you could go and do everything with out any help and then you would not make any friends and your stay on this shard would be short.

If anyone thinks different lets hear it.
M3D1CN1
Elder Scribe

Post by M3D1CN1 »

yes that sounds great however not many people help so a guide would be helpful other shards do have full info on websites i think its time to make things bigger we have more people on and not enough going on the shards been on like a standstill for too long
10,000 Lemmings cant be WRONG can they
Jantra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Jantra »

PaPa,

There's just some basic stuff that definitely needs some updating. Stuff that's already on there could use some updating. Like recently, some new people needed help because they had come across the cove champ and needed help. Except no one really knew how to get there. And you know what's not on the wiki?

...directions to that champ. There's directions to the other champs, but not THAT champ. Asking on the global chat didn't get any help, either, at the particular time unfortunately. Luckily, I kinda figured it out through memory of having braced there once before and some help from UOAM, and that's what led me to want to go update the Wiki.

There's tons and tons and tons of stuff that people ask every day on global chat, and the wiki won't change 90% of that. Even stuff that gets asked on global chat, people often just go 'go read the wiki'.
PaPa
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by PaPa »

http://www.uoex.net/wiki/Champion_spawns

Cove Plains/Forget: Use the Forget entrance, run West/NW. It's off the road, no more than 20 seconds from the Forget cave.

Its in there just need to search for it a little. the SEARCH option works real nice.
PaPa
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by PaPa »

yes there is alot of things not in the wiki for sure can think of a few things that should be in there. But like i said im my original post there is things that +coli wants people to discover on there own or with in game help it just ends up making a better community and shard.
Jantra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Jantra »

PaPA, that isn't actually the Champ I meant. There's two in that area. I was talking about this one:

Blood Clan (Directly outside Cove, Fel):

Which as you notice... is blank.

I can understand what +C means, but a few updates doesn't hurt. I sent a message in to staff at this point, so.
acolyte
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by acolyte »

The wiki could definitely use some updates. I agree with PaPa's point - you don't want to put all the secrets in there, but there's a middle ground somewhere in between all or nothing and right now the wiki is missing a lot of essential info. The Karate Belt quest doesn't even have a page - no mention of how to what it is or how to start it. Something basic like "You can start the quest chain in a building south of MZ teleporter, there is a 24 hour cooldown between each quest" would go a long way. These questions get asked daily or almost daily, the answers are simple, and they aren't secret at all, but the only way to find out is for another person to tell you since it's not in the wiki and nothing in the game directs you to it.
Jantra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Jantra »

Exactly. I'd like to update the wiki to have some needed updated information. Basics on the karate belt quest. How to install (with links, pictures, work throughs, etc) all the basic UO programs (UOS, EasyUO, Razor, UOAM, etc). Why is the 220 dex guide still listed with the ironwood crown as a chest piece? It hasn't been one in all the time I've played.

Stuff like that. People say all the time 'go read the wiki' but the wiki has become outdated, with too many holes in the information that is needed. Guides that are in there need to be updated to better info, important stuff needs to be on there at all, and over all, it needs to be a better resource for a game that badly needs it.
Opopanax
Legendary Scribe

Post by Opopanax »

Once the wiki was editable by anyone who had an account and someone got angry and trashed the whole thing I believe, but that was before my time so I may be wrong.

After that there was a group of wiki scribes who were vetted and were allowed to make changes, I was in that group and I did tidy up pages and made a new info page about the lockpicking mechanics for our shard and made the treasure hunting page.

I'm not sure what happened, but at some point the wiki scribes also lost editing access and I think maybe only staff can do it now. There is a lot there that needs consolidating and updating, but none of us can do it unfortunately. It's understandable that +C's time is better spent on fixing bugs and dealing with things that no-one else can.
In game name: Abarai
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Yeah, having an up-to-date wiki would help alot, we often get tickets about game mechanics, and it would be better if all that info were already available.
The wiki is currently closed for editing because false information can cause even more problems than lack of information. And we have to define some guidelines about what should be posted and in what format, so that all the wiki scribes are in sync about these things... otherwise, I just get angry emails which end up taking up more time. So, this is something with quite a high priority, it will just need to wait for an appropriate timeslot.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Jantra
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Jantra »

+C, I’ve hopefully shot you something through in game measures that maybe will assist, though I’m not sure if that was the best method. If email or PM is better, let me know. Otherwise, eagerly awaiting to find out what will come.