Best path forward

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
Olyvar
Apprentice Scribe

Best path forward

Post by Olyvar »

I feel a bit sheepish asking this question but for clarification, I haven't played in what feels like forever. I last played, committedly, way back in 2009-2010 I believe. My account was deleted due to inactivity and I made another account several years ago and have played fairly whimsically. I'd really like to get back into Ex because I always enjoyed the laid back nature but I'm faced with a real dilemma: I have all of these years of work, with not much wealth, and am stumped on where to go from here.

I'm sitting on 3 million gold, maybe 40k tokens, no ED, and have a wide disposal of skills available.

Chivalry, Ninjistu, Focus, Magery, Med, Music, Peacing, Spirit, Healing, Lumber, Archery, Swords, Tactics, Anatomy, and Taming are all at 100. Animal Lore is 110. Also have trivial 100s in Hiding and Arms Lore. Not sure where I was going with these skills. Stats, while naked, are 125/125/50 (S/D/I).

Wearing a mashup of gear. A set of exceptional plat with HoP, VotFK, random gems, and a level 16 Horselord. Relevant stats are FC 1, FCR 6, LRC 78%, DMG 15%, HCI 27%, HPI 16. Nothing great, obviously, and a clearly a lost collection.

I don't have nobles or imps, something I remember being the go-to choice for new/middle-tier players. I think I recall weapon leveling being nerfed, perhaps something to do with Bushido Dojo where I last farmed. I could be wrong.

Can anyone kindly provide some advice on what I should focus on or at least how to salvage this current setup into something playable?
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Re: Best path forward

Post by Wil »

If it were me, I'd ask +C if he'd delete my account and let me restart. The 1 to 2 week equivalent of hard playing you have invested in that character is not worth missing Mistvale. But I'm not a casual player and this is almost certainly the wrong advice for someone who is.

Next on your list is the basic set of 120-skill power scrolls, followed by working those skills up to 120. Animal taming and veterinary first so you can support a mule and a team of 4 nobles which leaves you powerful enough to usefully participate in the champ battles, doom, etc. Then it's gathering the equipment to boost your dex to 220.

Now the question is: before the next thing catches your attention and you're gone for another year, what do you WANT to do? You can get a cheap team of maxed animals, head for Citadel and grind for gold until you can afford the 120 taming, lore and vet scrolls, then grind them up to 120 switch to a mule+nobles team, buy or fight your way to the crafting and combat power scrolls, etc. Or you could build a house. Or you could donate $20-$30 and just buy the power scrolls so that you can jump to grinding for 220 dex. Or you could donate a little more and jump straight to 220 dex so that any combat you do is for fun rather than grinding for gold.

What do you WANT to do?
Silent
Legendary Scribe

Post by Silent »

I'm not sure how mistvale is working now will, but aren't the item now only usable for 6 months? perhaps it would not be has well played has just getting them mules and the taming/vet skill scrolls worth those 4 millions. This is just "IF!" mistvale items can't be usable forever.

If mistvale items are still useable for ever you should try to get the new start over, has things stand you haven't much to lose and a lot to gain from it.
Lurking the forums since dec 2012
Olyvar
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Olyvar »

I'm definitely not interested in starting over. Not just because I play casually but because I have a fully customized house, complete with a whole lot of random goods and deco. I didn't include any of that in my post because I don't consider the house and its content to be liquefiable assets. I have much more than just a week of game-time, I just never had a sense of direction when I recreated my account.

Ideally, I want to be at a point where I can grind content comfortably and build wealth. Doesn't need to be end-game stuff, not there yet and not sure I ever will be. My wife plays as well but she isn't quite as far along as I am.
Nick
Legendary Scribe
Location: PA native, liveing in NC right now Moveing to TX in march

Post by Nick »

you just need to find out what you enjoy doing in UO and do that. (a hard task I know) I used to grind gauntlet, doom bones and level for money when I was actively building my suit. Now I usually just check the bally routes and WW in Wrong if I am looking to make some gold while watching a show or something.

I past year or so has been house building for me as my fun time. That and taking people out to kill something they need for a quest but need help with. I've done a few basic items only hunts and I find that fun too. grinding isn't that much fun usually in my opionion.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Olyvar wrote:Ideally, I want to be at a point where I can grind content comfortably and build wealth. Doesn't need to be end-game stuff, not there yet and not sure I ever will be. My wife plays as well but she isn't quite as far along as I am.
Then your next step is 1 maxed mule (to ride and for its pack), 120 taming/animal lore/veterinary, followed by 4 max noble steeds (for attacking). That'll make you combat effective up to champs and doom gauntlet but too weak for most of the peerless. In principle you can get it through taming bods and breeding. In practice you'll buy it from other players for ~3-5 million gold last I checked.

Along the way you'll want to practice controlling and healing 5 pets. As long as you can do that you'll be effective in most combat even without 220 dex insta-heal.

After that you'll want 120 in the crafting and combat skills, usually in order from cheapest to most expensive.

"Imps" are very expensive to do well and are more useful than noble steeds in a limited number of situations. 220 dex is of limited value before you have 130 in your combat skills (120 powerscrolls, some combat time and 100 essences in each). Also quite expensive so you'll work them later. You can level a weapon any time (sounds like you've already started) but it won't be time-effective until after you reach 220 dex.

IIRC, the whole suite of stuff you need to be combat effective without animals, the power scrolls, essences and 220 dex, etc. run 20-25M gold. So unless you really hate it, go the animal route first.

Silent wrote:I'm not sure how mistvale is working now will, but aren't the item now only usable for 6 months?
The sash, cloak and sword are permanent. The sash and cloak are good enough that they tend to be the last things replaced with relayers. It's also more troublesome to reach 220 dex without them. Together they give 14 dex and IIRC nothing else in the sash and cloak slots does so. Even with a fancy house and the kind of loot and deco you collect alongside a "level 16 horselord" I would want to reset rather than miss them. But then I would grind the heck out of it. Those two ballys in mistvale that respawn at about the same pace you can kill them with noble steeds are particularly convenient. If you're not gonna grind it then yeah, keep your stuff and don't sweat having missed it.