Grand auction - December 10 & 11th

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
+Colibri
Administrator

Re: Grand auction - December 10 & 11th

Post by +Colibri »

Thank you all for attending this auction. Next one is "planned" for January 7th - just a regular auction with about 15-20 items, possibly one or two high-end items as well. But, it's not official until there's a forum announcement.

We're running a kind of experiment for those who might not be able to attend these weekend auctions, but would still like to buy these cool items. Or possibly, to sink even more gold than we already have :)

Re-auction rules

You can buy the items that were sold at this weekend's auction, but only if you can outbid the price that the item was sold for.

Items on sale
The items that qualify for re-auction:
- everything from the "These items will be sold on the Saturday auction" list
- everything from the "These items will be sold on the Sunday auction" list
(see original post in this thread to see these lists).
The items are now also on display in the auction display room.

Starting bid and bidding
- The starting bid for each item is 10% more than the item was sold for this weekend.
- To submit your intent to buy an item, send a ticket thru the help system by December 15th, 23:59 shard time.
- If there is more than 1 player wanting a particular item, then all players will be joined in the same ticket, where they can bid on the item. The first player who sent the ticket already has a valid bid at 10% over the original price. The second player would then have to outbid them 10% over that price.
- The last bidder wins when there were no valid bids for 24 hours.
- The currency of the item is the same as the currency in which the item was originally sold at the auction

Upon winning, you need to be able to pay within 24 hours. Note that since this is manual, it might take longer than that, but overall just be sure to have the gold. If you don't have the gold, the bid is forfeited (and well, it goes down to the 2nd bidder, but this can get tricky if there were several bids between 2 players... which we'll figure out how this goes, but maybe it won't even happen this time.)

For example: ethereal daemon sold for 150 million. If you want to buy it for 165 million, send a ticket. If another person also wants to offer 165 but sends their ticket after you, they would have to then outbid you with 181,5 million.
(we're going to avoid rounding since there's a whole big algorithm to that, so you can even bid 181.501.372 gp if you want).

I expect there to be some minor issues and inconveniences, if that happens we'll just try to figure it out as we go along.
Also, if this system would stick in the long term, I expect eventually the high-roller players might agree to not compete too much, to get cheaper items and also two of them. And it's nice that some people could trust each other so much :) However, my duty is to sell stuff for as much gold as possible, so I'll have to figure out ways to prevent any price-fixing. One way perhaps would be to select a random 50% of the items that could be re-auctioned, and with that you won't really know for sure whether an item will be sold as duplicate.

But again, this is just an experiment... as is everything in games :) So we'll see how it goes.
+Colibri, Administrator of UO Excelsior Shard

Don't know what the purpose of your life is? Well then make something up! ;)
(Old Colibrian proverb)
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

I like this format to give others a chance. Just one suggestion if possible not to make it based kn when ticket submitted but rather a block of time. Otherwise the people that just completed the auction has the most advantage. The others, which this change probably was meant to help, will have to pay even more. As I said, if you give a 24 hour window for bidding. If more than one, then another 12? Then 6? Then whatever?
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

Added rules:
- The currency of the item is the same as the currency in which the item was originally sold at the auction

Upon winning, you need to be able to pay within 24 hours. Note that since this is manual, it might take longer than that, but overall just be sure to have the gold. If you don't have the gold, the bid is forfeited (and well, it goes down to the 2nd bidder, but this can get tricky if there were several bids between 2 players... which we'll figure out how this goes, but maybe it won't even happen this time.)

@Zanzi: "rather a block of time" Im not sure if I understand. Well, the final time to submit (the initial bid) is until Thursday evening. Is that helping with the issue you raised?

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

Maybe I misunderstood the rule. It sounded like if I was th first to submit, then I get to bid 10% above what item sold for auction. If i am not, then I have to beat the first submission based on time ticket created. So if there are 3 ppl submitted bids only the first person get to bid for the next price up
ZeeeQi
Adept Scribe

Post by ZeeeQi »

Is there any way to know the current bid on items without having to bid?
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

+Colibri wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:19 pm
Starting bid and bidding
- The starting bid for each item is 10% more than the item was sold for this weekend.
- To submit your intent to buy an item, send a ticket thru the help system by December 15th, 23:59 shard time.
- If there is more than 1 player wanting a particular item, then all players will be joined in the same ticket, where they can bid on the item. The first player who sent the ticket already has a valid bid at 10% over the original price. The second player would then have to outbid them 10% over that price.
- The last bidder wins when there were no valid bids for 24 hours.
If you want to make it easy on yourself, do it ebay style. Folks submit the most they're willing to pay and the sale amount is one increment over the second highest bid. That way you only need one round of bidding and you're done.
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

Great idea Wil. Hopefully +C can make it work. Certainly will simplify the process and appear to be less work for anyone managing this process.
ButteryBiscuits
Elder Scribe

Post by ButteryBiscuits »

Alternatively- maybe +K could add a thread here with any items that have been bid on and what the current high bid is and who made it. since all buyers at auction have names known and then posted in forums anyways, shouldn't matter if the names are known.
BB
---------------------------
ButteryBiscuits
in game name ButteryBiscuits
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_of_Warsaw
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Special Auction

Post by Zanzi »

Just checking if anyone received their items from the special auction. If not @+C if we have a timeline on when. Thanks
+Colibri
Administrator

Post by +Colibri »

I have just processed the re-auction trades, thanks for your patience :)

The info is available on the Auction stone's History, but I'm also going to keep up with Wil's tradition and post the journal messages here:

Ancient Titan's Hammer sold to Zanzi for 473,000,000 Gold
+10 To Single-target Hit On A Weapon sold to Muolke for 265,112,077 Gold
Deed To Change "Hit X" To "Hit Y" On A Weapon sold to Muolke for 408,111,112 Gold
Deed For +1 Breeds To A Pet sold to culichi for 1,200 Elven Notes

FYI, all of these bids were the initial bids sent, and although on two of the items there were 2 interested players (not the same two though), in both cases the 2nd player didn't outbid the initial bid so it remained with the initial bidder.

(Old Colibrian proverb)
Zanzi
Elder Scribe

Post by Zanzi »

Thank you +C.
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Yes, thank you.
MarkM