Planned ED price increases and changes in 2023

Keep track of this topic. All announcements and short-term rules will be written here.
Cezzar
Journeyman Scribe

Re: Planned ED price increases and changes in 2023

Post by Cezzar »

The best was early game. my next goal is ATH and totem slot so its like 1-1,5 B gold. I can't find that much gold. You should definitely know earl game worth. nothing at the end of the game :(
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

So, if the goal is to take gold out of the economy, why are we even talking about ED to begin with?

Adding more stuff to buy with ED for veterans will cause a rush on ED and inflate the price. Even if the values for newbie-essentials doesn't go up, they're still paying more for those items. If the ED price goes up, they're double impacted.

Also, I noticed that the OP says that there'll be a month-long post about the price changes before it happens. This is also going to end up consolidating more wealth into the hands of the richest people.

Example: The McGuffin item goes from 100 ED to 200. As a rich player, you're incentivized to buy up as many of these as possible at the 100 price, then after the prices change, you can start listing these on your vendor at 195 ED and add "5ED under stone price!" to the comment.

Essentially those with enough expendable income and time can quickly nearly double their wealth over the course of a few months or however long it takes to sell. All that's required is patience and ungodly amounts of gold.

End result? The richest people get *vastly* more rich and the newer/mid-game players are punished.

The more I think about this, the more I'm realizing that there could not be a worse solution to gold inflation.

How about instead of adding new ED rewards, just add ridiculously expensive items that can only be bought with gold? See my list in my first post for more ideas. viewtopic.php?p=82024#p82024

This reduces gold, doesn't inflate the gold price of ED, gives veterans a gold sink, and doesn't impact new to mid-game players. Unless we're 100% married to the idea of "All rewards need to be ED" in which case we need to ask "Why?" when it's clearly a detriment.
Eremite
Grandmaster Scribe

Post by Eremite »

mis-click - delete this post. :D
Jebidia
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Jebidia »

Wil wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:22 pm
Geriatric wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:43 pm
doesnt make much difference when you lose enough hp to start getting killed in one hit again
Do you have 220 dex and an autoheal script? If the answer is "no," come back and complain when you do.
Is this the way that we want to post on our boards? Just completely shut down what someone else has to say? They play here as well. Give them the same respect as you want to have given to you.
A YAYA!!!!!
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Jebidia wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:22 am
Is this the way that we want to post on our boards? Just completely shut down what someone else has to say? They play here as well. Give them the same respect as you want to have given to you.
How many times does a person get to reject advice with, "That won't work!" before the correct response is, "Shut up and try it." Twice? Three times? Five? What's the fair number of chances to learn gently before delivering a rebuke?

You've called me out for disrespect and I appreciate that. At the same time, I'm at a loss for a better response. What's your suggestion? He was given the answer to his complaint by more than one person who has traveled the path before. It was explained several times along with an explanation of why that was the answer. What's the respectful next response? Wall of silence?

It wasn't a rhetorical question. If you can go back through the conversation thread and offer better answer than the one I gave, dispositive without being disrespectful, I'd like to hear it and learn from it.
Jebidia
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Jebidia »

Wil wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:57 pm
Jebidia wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:22 am
How many times does a person get to reject advice with, "That won't work!" before the correct response is, "Shut up and try it." Twice? Three times? Five? What's the fair number of chances to learn gently before delivering a rebuke?

You've called me out for disrespect and I appreciate that. At the same time, I'm at a loss for a better response. What's your suggestion? He was given the answer to his complaint by more than one person who has traveled the path before. It was explained several times along with an explanation of why that was the answer. What's the respectful next response? Wall of silence?

It wasn't a rhetorical question. If you can go back through the conversation thread and offer better answer than the one I gave, dispositive without being disrespectful, I'd like to hear it and learn from it.

First, please remember not everyone plays the same way you do. Second, more than one person has walked a different path other than the one you and others have walked and go by the results they saw and experienced. And as you said, if you don't agree with someone and can't find middle ground, silence is an acceptable response. :wink:
A YAYA!!!!!
MagicUser
Elder Scribe

Post by MagicUser »

Its hard to say what an appropriate response is, especially when people start ascribing motive. Silence is often times mistaken as acceptance of accusations. Retorts won't convince the other person and you lose face in front of the people you actually care about. Intelligent long winded responses can be seen as avoiding the topic. I have found that often the best way to approach an accusation is to let others defend you.

At the end of the day its a min/max game. What was their goal? Do you care? Do they care? Do other people care? What are their assertions? Can you effectively refute them? Does it make any sense to refute them?

Sometimes silence is not an acceptable answer. Sometimes silence is cowardice. Sometimes silence is the answer. But you can only evaluate that on a case by case basis.
Jebidia wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:25 am
And as you said, if you don't agree with someone and can't find middle ground, silence is an acceptable response. :wink:
Wil may have been able to say it a little better, but I don't think he was wrong. You can't appreciate 220 dex/"instant" healing till you have experienced it. Some people chose other paths, full mage builds to make the game more fun or interesting, but it cannot be denied. 220 dex is a huge boost to combat potential. Yes you lose other stats, resistance is the biggest one. Its a balancing act, you as the player decide how much you want to balance until you can afford better gear. Just know... instant healing is something you should probably at least look into on uoex.

At the same time I should comment that although some methods are definitely easier for approaching the end game level (the bar at which other players have set with their combat potential). It all depends on you as the player to decide how you want to advance. If you decide you want to be a pure mage? It may take you longer, but if its what you want to do... go for it. Its literally whatever makes it fun for you. Find your niche, you'll stick around longer.

I'm not sure we can really say that ed's play that much of a part on reaching 220 dex. A little in increasing your base dex, I suppose. 5 +5 ind. stat increases (to dex). Nothing in comparison to relayers.
Respectfully,
Paroxysmus ILV Master Spellcaster
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

My bad i thought this was a new post
Last edited by Lach on Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

Lach wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:07 am
It sounds like none of you know how a business is ran this is a free to play game........Where do you think the money comes from a money tree +C has growing out back, he has no major studio backing him and is not selling the game at $69.99 a pop. there are plenty of people that play the game for free. I own two business my self my cost has risen as well as my cost of living, So have my prices, you have to try to look at it from a different point of view its sucks for the consumer but if it dose not happen the business will fail. Not to mention if you, simply play the game or macro farm which I would say 20% to 25% do on this shard. You will be able to simply buy this currency for free. Oh and don't for get the vendors where you charge crazy amounts of ed for items you get for free how is this any different. Need an example some one recently sold items for 17,000 ED now if a new player where to get that from doating they would have to donate $1,700 and pay the currency difference so really that player who sold it saved him self from paying $1,700 in donations.

It's a fair point that it needs to be worth it for +C. To that end I donate every Christmas. The guy gives us 25% bonus and I play here a lot, feels right to contribute.

I think the bulk of the money spent at auctions is donation money, but I don't want to get into counting other people's money.
TDC Guild
Goliath
Novice Scribe

Post by Goliath »

Comparing UOEX to an actual business that has tremendous overhead such as payroll, benefits, insurance, product cost, advertising, marketing, shipping fees, etc., is just ignorant at best. I believe in contributing to show our appreciation and make this worthwhile, but don't get carried away. As far as the sales on vendors, I highly doubt anyone paid for anything marked at that price. When items have that type of price tag it usually will say "do not buy" or "not for sale" or "display only", or the intended purpose will be stated in the description line. They generally aren't selling at the list price, and is a tactic used to discourage someone from purchasing. To your point on farming gold/currency: With the insane inflation this server has experienced in the last few years, most auctions have become a spectator sport for everyone to watch the same few people buy a vast majority of the most desirable items. In general people don't come to a "free to play" server, of an archaic video game, to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to obtain a pixelated item. It would take years of farming, in game, to afford a single item in some cases. Many people have voiced their frustration with this, and even left the server. If you increase ED room prices it only serves to shrink our community that much more and discourage new players from sticking around. As far as +Colibri having a money tree, he does, and we've all named it. I'll let you figure that part out on your own. :nod:
Last edited by Goliath on Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

Someone had an Ancient War Hammer on their vendor last week. I don't know if it sold or was taken off but I think that's the item they were talking about, which is an auction item and not a found item.
TDC Guild
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

Ok apparently posting your opinion here is a mistake and just ignorant. Thanks for all your hard work +C and I will continue to support you in anyway I can.
Muolke
Legendary Scribe

Post by Muolke »

Lach wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:31 pm
Ok apparently posting your opinion here is a mistake and just ignorant. Thanks for all your hard work +C and I will continue to support you in anyway I can.
Was there really a need to resurrect a thread that hadn't had a reply in almost 1 year?
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

i was gonna stay out this thread but my more primal side got the better of me

i dont really think excelsior is a business, its more a passion project and hobby for +C a little bit of cash on the side, i certainly cant imagine he would have to many expenditures relating to keeping this server running
cos it runs off donations, not purchases not subscriptions

so lach you storm in here throwing insults around resurecting a 9 month old thread and when you get called out on it you still try to act like everyone else was the bad guy ""ohh well im sorry apparently we arent allowed opinions here"

so get off the cross, we need the wood
Lach
Elder Scribe

Post by Lach »

its my fault i thought it was new my bad