Powerscrolls that don't drop - Which skills need to be bought with the PS of your choice?

Name says it all
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Re: Powerscrolls that don't drop - Which skills need to be bought with the PS of your choice?

Post by Melkor »

Johnny Warren wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:36 pm

So far the following skills can be raised from 100 to 120 without elixirs/skillballs:

Snooping
Taste Identification

That makes me believe multiple of the others will also raise just fine. As Durocious said, Forensic ID and Hiding can be done sans skillballs/elixiers.
That's great news, thanks for the updates!
TDC Guild
culichi
Legendary Scribe

Re: Powerscrolls that don't drop - Which skills need to be bought with the PS of your choice?

Post by culichi »

unless colibri made changes to hiding im absolutely 100% sure it cannot be raised past 100 without skillball or elixiers. i do think forensic can be raised without extras but cant say for sure its been so long since i did it.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Current progress:

Everything else not shown is at 120/130 already.
I've managed to get the Disarming (Remove Trap), Arms Lore and Poisoning PS's from player vendors, for a fair price. I used my PS of choices on the rest. I won another PS of my choice today which I used on herding. I have been herding (the same way I got to 100) for half an hour with no gains, so I am thinking it's going to be skill balls/elixirs. Same with Arms Lore, it won't gain. Remove Trap seems to have frozen on 80. Do I need to go and do dungeon or prisoner chests to get gains in Remove Trap now?

Not too many more to do...

If anyone has a good strategy to get provocation to 120, I'd love to know it. Also, what's the fastest way to raise mining?
JOHNNY WARREN!
Cerrera
Legendary Scribe

Post by Cerrera »

Johnny Warren wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:02 pm

Also, what's the fastest way to raise mining?
With hard work, sweat and blisters on hands :P If you don't have enough essences.
Nayra
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Nayra »

U can raise Hiding for sure with only using the skill. I did it not long ago. Remove Trap is a b*. Im at 81,3 and get not really gains. Hardest skill on the shard. The easiest way to raise mining is, melt the ore one by one.
Melkor
Legendary Scribe

Post by Melkor »

For provocation, see this thread

viewtopic.php?t=14129
TDC Guild
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Nayra wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:09 am
U can raise Hiding for sure with only using the skill. I did it not long ago. Remove Trap is a b*. Im at 81,3 and get not really gains. Hardest skill on the shard. The easiest way to raise mining is, melt the ore one by one.
Are you sure you can raise hiding from 100 to 120 just using the skill? Getting the 120 hiding PS is not easy to do....

Thanks for the tip about mining
Melkor wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:12 am
For provocation, see this thread

viewtopic.php?t=14129
Thanks for that Melkor, working nicely for me at the moment.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Praise
Master Scribe

Post by Praise »

There are no Hiding PSs. I would go for a 120 hiding. I purchased mine from someone who had a limitless PS bag. Cost a few million I think.
Praise
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Praise wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:40 pm
There are no Hiding PSs. I would go for a 120 hiding. I purchased mine from someone who had a limitless PS bag. Cost a few million I think.
That was the point of my comment ;) I was just letting Nayra know that. This whole thread is about powerscrolls that don't drop normally ;) and raising those "special" skills.

I've been farming Kronus recently for the PS bags to try and jag a 120 Hiding. So far no luck in 3 rolls and I'm out of non-crafting 115s... Speaking of which... I bought all your 115's Praise (great prices), please put more on the vendor ;), that's what's slowing me down using the rest of the PS bags.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Nayra
Apprentice Scribe

Post by Nayra »

Hmm i have 120 hiding. Bought a scroll from Cameron Majere. From where he got it, i dont know. I just used the skill never bought a Skill Ball. I got it really cheap, I think it was 500k.
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Update:

Closing in on all skills. Only need 5 more PSs... hoping to get the hiding, I crack a fair few PS bag uses, haven't hit it yet. The rest will be costly...

In terms of raising skills. I do not believe Arms Lore, begging or Herding can be raised beyond 100 without elixiers/balls. I macro'd all for a long time and got no gains (tried loring lots of different arms and armor, tried herding lots of mobs including Cu's). Currently using elixiers on chivalry and Arms Lore as you can see. I have a stash of elixiers for the other skills, but I will wait before using. In the screen shot u can see 4 +20 skill balls in my bank. I will wait until I have all the PSs then tally my elixiers and use the balls on the ones that I have fewest points for in elixiers.

I believe I can manually raise remove trap without balls here... but I do not know if I have the patience for it. At the end of this adventure I will sign off this post with a comprehensive list of which skills can only be done through balls/elixiers and which can be raised normally. :dance
JOHNNY WARREN!
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Bought another PS of my choice for Detect Hidden. Can confirm it will not raise beyond 100 by using the skill. Detect hidden requires skillballs/elixiers.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Geriatric
Legendary Scribe

Post by Geriatric »

i mentioned it to you before ingame, but ill mention it here for the benefit of anyone else that may be trying to raise the same skill ingame

using detect hidden on someone with a higher hiding skill vs your detect

the person would likely have to be in the same guild
detecting hidden may be seen as a negative action on another player
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

Whilst you did mention this I ended up ruling it out. I believe the skill actually doesn't work here. I tested it on the mob in doom that hides and you still get no success on him. Whilst there is an outside chance that you are correct, I would say that it is 99.9% you need to be using elixiers/skillballs to gain it.

All of the other special skills I have taken to 120, they either continue to gain the same way you got them to 100 (e.g. taste ID or snooping) and the ones that don't (e.g. Arms Lore or begging) simply freeze and don't gain. Detect hidden seemed very much like one of the ones that simply wouldn't gain.

I ran over an hour of macros on a range of targets (the cooldown on the macro was 1second, so that's over 3600 detect hiddens). I invis'd my own pets (they are green, like a guildie). Target self. Target a circle of tiles. Target the tile on the mob that was hidden. I thought long and hard about what you suggested, and ended up not testing it (because it's hard to find someone with >100 hiding) and came to the conclusion above.
JOHNNY WARREN!
Johnny Warren
Legendary Scribe

Post by Johnny Warren »

So after a bit of grinding over the last week I got remove trap from 80 to 100.1. I did eat about 5 points worth of elixiers in the mid 80's as I was getting bored (it gains slowly). But it gained consistently from 80 - 100.1. I first started on the verite chests from adeptly drawn maps... but this was tedious and slow. I found that any T-map chests above adeptly drawn I could never unlock and got no gains, and anything below i unlocked first try and got no gains. So I hunted around for other chests to test. I found that I could get gains, sometimes very solid ones, on dungeon chests. You want to find a patch of dungeon chests with blaze and agapite locks together. Ignore the agapite ones, no gains. But the blaze ones in these groups would sometimes give many gains. The best I got was 4 gains off a single chest. In order to make them respawn quickly, unlock them (use lockpicks), remove the trap and then take an item (any item or the gold) from them, this will make them respawn. I did this all manually, I didn't even bother marking runes at the chests until I was at like 98... I think I could have got it from 80 to 100 in a coupe of days if I had of marked runes at the very start. If someone had good scripting skills they could automate this and you could GM it in a night, I have no doubt.

The best locations to find these chests are (all Tram): Ice dungeon, Hythloth lower floors and T-keep (shadow wyrm room N of the entrance). They are the only locations I used.

You will note that you can gain beyond 100 with this "special" skill. I believe you should be able to get it to 120 just hitting these chests... I will test it soon. For now I need a break from double clicking lockpicks. :lool: (I did use a macro to do the remove trap part - but I always unlocked them manually).

On a cool note, that was my last skill needed to GM all skills. Next stop, legendary lol. I need 4 more of the special PS's (will pay handsomely in game for a hiding 120). See below for current progress. Every skill not shown in the image is already at 120 (130 for all combats). I still have 3 +20 skill balls, so it shouldn't be too long before all are at 120.

Image :dance

EDIT: Just adding in that I finally got my Hiding 120 from a PS bag! It would not gain using the skill. Ran it overnight, no gains. Used an elixier to get over the 100.0 "bump" and kept using skill. No gains. Ended up using a +20 skill ball to take hiding to 120. Hiding requires elixier/ball to gain past 100.
JOHNNY WARREN!