virtual memory......

Don't know how something works? Here you will find some useful links. And if you have a question, feel free to ask.
scuba
Elder Scribe

virtual memory......

Post by scuba »

still having a huge problem with the not enough virtual memory issue and frankly getting really upset by it. i have plenty of virtual memory and nothing running in my background i have tryed what people have suggested and i still end up having to restart my computer several times and even then i cant get it to work sometimes. number one why do this error occur only with this game? number 2 why is it that it used to work just fine and now it wont? sorry i am so pissed off but this really sucks.... :verymad:
lestatzero
Legendary Scribe

Re: virtual memory......

Post by lestatzero »

it might be possable that you have some sort of spyware or a vius on your system thats eating up extra memory in the background that your not seeing because well it doesnt want to be seen ...

A few tools that I use all the tiem to keep the system clean and bug free are Malewarebytes and CCleaner from pitform ... ccleaner will clean out all of your old tem info and has a good reg cleaner to help clean out root kits and other reg bugs / viruses that cause these type of issues ... have the ability to run more than just 1 client from my computer at a time without an issue ( and no i am not connecting to the shard with more than 1 ) ... So i know that the memory issue is something that can be overcome without an issue .... I do know that the bug is seen more often with steam than with razor ...
Psylent
Passer by

Post by Psylent »

I'm having the exact same problem.

I have plenty of virtual ram. I got 16 gigs of normal ram.

Today I did a fresh install of windows on a fresh partition. And still same problem.
Wil
Legendary Scribe

Post by Wil »

Which version of Windows? What else is running (including services, programs, etc)? How much virtual memory do you have set up on the machine? Or is it still the default dynamic set up?

The devil's in the details with this kind of error. The more information you can provide about your setup, the more likely someone will recognize the problem and be able to suggest a solution.
Birko
Elder Scribe

Post by Birko »

There is nothing wrong with your computer or amount of memory. The game is geriatric and needs a little prodding to make it remember the Old Days :)

Shut down your computer with a full power off, and not a restart.
Start up and don't launch anything.
After a minute or two, hit ctrl-alt-delete to go to your task manager.
List the processes by "Memory (Private Working Set)"
"End Process" of the main memory suckers, but note their names so as you can relaunch them later.
My main problem is my Logitech keyboard that runs as "LCore.exe".
Once I kill that process I can launch UO through Razor, and then go to the Start menu and relaunch LCore.exe

Your problem, for me, tends to occur after complete power shutdowns. Rebooting and sleep don't give me the problem.

A technical explanation of why this happens is not my forte, but an analogy is the Turbo Button on 90's computers.
It was a great marketing tool. By default, the Turbo Button was "on", but you needed it "off" to use legacy software that needed a slower clock. The Turbo Button was really an option to slow down.
JimTheDM
Elder Scribe

Post by JimTheDM »

There is a document out on the forums I created about this exact issue please take a look at that and see if that does not resolve your problem.

Jamkul
Jamkul
Guild Master
Ghost Walkers Guild (GW)
jerco05
Adept Scribe

Post by jerco05 »

scuba wrote:still having a huge problem with the not enough virtual memory issue and frankly getting really upset by it. i have plenty of virtual memory and nothing running in my background i have tryed what people have suggested and i still end up having to restart my computer several times and even then i cant get it to work sometimes. number one why do this error occur only with this game? number 2 why is it that it used to work just fine and now it wont? sorry i am so pissed off but this really sucks.... :verymad:
I know how you feel, and with just 4GB of SODIMM RAM I still get this issue if I have more than a couple tabs open in FireFox and try to start UO. In my experience, I just have to close out my web browser (firefox for me, may be chrome or I.E. for others), then start Razor and I'm good to go. I would definitely suggest going into Services on your computer and disabling WMPNetwork. It's Windows Media Player network service, and it destroys VRAM by taking up way too many threads. Aside from that, SVCHost always takes up a lot of RAM, but it's necessary for a connection from your client to the server.

Once you've disabled WMPNetwork under "Services" on your computer (right click > Properties > Disable), then I would suggest using CCLeaner.exe to clean out temp history and the registry and Malware bytes or Microsoft Security Essentials to clean up any viruses. If you're running more than one firewall/virus protection, that can also cause the issue as they are ALWAYS running. Turn one off and if you have Norton, get rid of it entirely and you shouldn't have the problem as often.
PM Richter in game
fixxer1963
Legendary Scribe

Post by fixxer1963 »

while it is true that if you stop all processes you may get the program to work... it is not necessary. The programs you need to close are anything that might access the internet.. browsers.. any program that auto updates via the internet. My wife still uses Microscum and that is all she has to do. In every case that I have helped anybody with this.. that is all they have to close. INTERNET ACCESSING PROGRAMS!!!
The game, UO Steam and Razor will all run on 4meg.. not GIG.. meg.. that is one thousandth of a gig.
And FYI.. virtual ram is just the computer using your hard drive as substitute (virtual) memory. Not to be confused with storage.
Hawke Armstrong/FiXXer